Certified gunsmiths?

This is a discussion on Certified gunsmiths? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How many here on the forum are actual certified gunsmiths? just wondering actually. I'm contemplating one of the basic courses myself, albeit distance learning. I ...

Thread: Certified gunsmiths?

Certified gunsmiths?

How many here on the forum are actual certified gunsmiths? just wondering actually. I'm contemplating one of the basic courses myself, albeit distance learning. I feel I might be above some of the basics taught in an accredited course since I've done so much on my own over the years, but I want to get the official stuff, diploma, hang it on your wall things under my belt. I'd like nothing more than to take the Journeyman's course, and actually go through several months of hands on training under the guise of a professional gunsmith, but for now, that's out of the question. I care for firearms very much.....so much so that some that I've seen through friends or relatives has actually got me to thinking poor firearms care could be one of the original sins punishable by a trip through hell. I'm no kitchen table gunsmith at home, I take everything seriously, and I use my tools and firearms after the job has been done. This week, I'm going to make an investment for my future, and Gunsmithing would be something of a job (or part time) that I would enjoy immensely. I'm just wanting to get my foot in the door for starters, and that's all. The rest will come in time. Any advice would be more than welcomed. I'm serious about this, and my FFL will come along the way. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I have thought about it also. I was more interested in attending one of the better known schools though. Not really interested in one of the online programs.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I think a classroom setting would be a better way to go - at least that's my learning style. However, distance learning is better than nothing. You'll get from it, like much in life, what you put into it. I think it's a great idea and one that will always be in demand (either above or underground). Let us know your progress.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Be careful RamRod.

A friend of mine did just that with some sort of correspondence course. It seemed to be a good course except that it was written for someone that already had a basic knowledge of machine tools. He had none and a lot of the lessons were lost on him as he knew nothing of machinist practices.

He used to come into the shop all the time and wanted me to teach him everything there was to know about lathes,mills,drill presses and grinders and he thought it was something that he could pick up in a week or so. The more he learned, the more he could see that he didn't know, so eventually he gave it up.

The course cost him a couple of grand and he did nothing with it. He did get some high priced tools that he had collecting dust.

The problem with Gunsmiths is that the training runs from horrible to excellent and sometime you don't know what you are getting until after the fact.

Most gunsmiths are parts changers...they don't have basic machine skills.

Some have a mill drill that they can drill and tap scope mounts with and thats about all they can do.

Some specialize in specific areas and are clueless about others.

The ones with the real skills are few and far between, and those guys are usually back logged to the point that it takes several months to years to get things done.

To be able to chamber a barrel, drill and tap scope mounts, cut and crown barrels, re-barrel rifles, customize them or build custom rifles, it is going to take a serious investment in machine tools and hand tools that few people are willing to make.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Great list of things to think about HotGuns.

RamRod, do you mind sharing what course you are thinking about?
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Links