Permit Renewal

Permit Renewal

This is a discussion on Permit Renewal within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just got my permit yesterday! Started the process February 21,2006. I thought a renewal process would be easier but I guess I was wrong.I checked ...

Thread: Permit Renewal

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar

Permit Renewal

Just got my permit yesterday! Started the process February 21,2006. I thought a renewal process would be easier but
    I guess I was wrong.I checked in after 30 days with the chief
    and was told there was a grace period on my exsisting permit
    until new one was ready.I know of smaller towns in Maine where it
    takes less than a week! It took 58 days !I just thought second time
    through would be easier.

Assistant Administrator
    Phew - 58 day renewal - that is long to put it mildly!

I'd expect here renewal to be like initial issuance - in and out of Sheriff's office, 30 minutes max!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    My renewal won't come up till next January, but I expect it will take just long enough for the new permit to be filled in. 10, 15 minutes at the most. 58 days that's crazy. Utah can get my app, have an FBI criminal background check done and still get my permit to me in less than 58 days. But at the same time, The Ordinary Guy in the April issue of CCM said that he is now 60 days into a process that is mandated by Georgia law to be completed in no more than 45 days. Some people just have to show others how important they are and they can't seem to understand that you get respect from being efficient not from being officious and self-important.

I wanted to make sure I spelled officious correctly so I checked the Oxford English Dictionary Online. It was spelled correctly, but the first definition was not what I expected so I checked a few others. The second sentence of this one is what I was expecting and describes perfectly the kind of person I was thinking about. "3. Unduly forward in offering one's services, or in taking business upon oneself; doing, or prone to do, more than is asked or required; interfering, intrusive. In later use esp.: inclined to assert authority in a self-important or pompous way, esp. with regard to petty or trivial matters. (Now the usual sense.)" OED Online (Chris: in my opinion the second best import we have gotten from the UK lately. You, of course, are the best.)
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    Dang it George - you sure know how to flatter a guy. I say a gracious 'thank you'.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Renewal Stall Tactics

I had to renew last September (Texas). The state now has 60 days to complete their end of the process. And they take all 60 days to do it. I wonder who passed down those unwritten orders?
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

I just got my first permit last October. Here in TN there are only certain Driver's testing stations that you can apply at - two in Metro/Davidson County. I'm not sure if renewals are the same way or if any Dept. of Safety station can handle them. The one by my is ALWAYS packed (usually with illegal immigrants ) but there's a mini station downtown that's a breeze. It seems like it ought to be the same as renewing your driver's license: Walk in, fill out the paperwork, pay the fee, get your picture taken and walk out with permit in hand. Guess I'm just not thinking like a bureaucrat, huh?
    Jack

1952 - 2006
    I applied for my renewal, here in Nevada, last November and it didn't arrive until mid-March.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

It depends on how long the line is at the Sherriffs office. Usually no more than 30 min for the renewal.

I guess theres something to be said for living in Alabama, other than football that is.
    Crookcatchr

Theres no such thing as owning to many guns.

Sponsored Links