I'm digging this IDPA thing....

I'm digging this IDPA thing....

This is a discussion on I'm digging this IDPA thing.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Shot my second match on Sunday, moved up a slot to 5th place overall, shooting a 95.66. I still came in first place and most ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm digging this IDPA thing....

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Thumbs up I'm digging this IDPA thing....

Shot my second match on Sunday, moved up a slot to 5th place overall, shooting a 95.66. I still came in first place and most accurate in the CDP division (5 shooters in CDP this match).

This was my first time really working from concealment and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, I had ideas that it was going to be slower than slow, but I still had good times.

I bought a non-shootmefirst vest, it's a Carhartt and only has TWO outside pockets, it was available in tall sizes to hang a little lower to cover my OWB and mag carrier and I can actually wear it without looking like someone on Safari or a photographer. It may be a little heavy come summer time, but will make a great spring/winter/fall vest.

The stages were definitely interesting with one COF taking place inside a wooden mock up of a HMMWV (Humm-Vee), here were some swingers that gave me some trouble and one stage where we started of in simulated fight for retention where we had to stab the target, go from condition 3 to 1 (simulating gun out of battery) and engage the other targets.

We had someone taking pictures during some of the stages and it's nice to be able to see what you're doing after the fact to find and correct issues, I for one need to work on my grip and close up that gap between my thumbs.

And no, my 1911 did not jam, break, or pour sugar in my gas tank during the match.

I got to try out my new Wilson ETMs and they worked flawlessly as Wilson mags always have for me, the added numbers on the tubes are nice when you have to start a stage with less than a full mag, but when you only have 8 rounds to start with it's not that hard, but always nice to be sure you're starting with the correct amount of ammunition on tap.

To make things even better, one of the other shooters there is lending my his Kimber .22 Conversion kit to try out and I'll probably buy it off him so I can practice more on the plate rack without burning thorough piles of .45ACP.

If you've ever wanted to shoot IDPA, go out and try it, it's a lot of fun. All you need is gun that meets IDPA criteria, 3 mags, holster, mag carrier, and a cover garment and you're good to go. If you want to find a club in your area and view the rule book, you can find them at the IDPA website.

VIP Member
    Cool. My nephew has been trying to talk me into IDPA. Thanks for the post.

Looks like a good time. When I finally get settled in one place, I wanna find a club to join.

The vest doesn't really say shoot me either, Carhart is always a good choice.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Cool. My nephew has been trying to talk me into IDPA. Thanks for the post.
    GO! Seriously if you feel you can handle your gun safely there's no reason not to try it out. The average match is usually less than 100 rounds, match fees vary but average is $10-$20, our club doesn't charge match fees for first time shooters, but when you factor in what multiple targets, range time, etc. would cost it's well worth it. People will even paste your targets and help pick up your brass!!!

Senior Moderator
    IDPA is a lot of fun, and it gives you a chance to evaluate your performance under pressure.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Looks like a good time. When I finally get settled in one place, I wanna find a club to join.

The vest doesn't really say shoot me either, Carhart is always a good choice.
    That's what I was looking for, I was planning on using my fleece vest, but wanted something that wouldn't sop up water in the rain.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    looks like a lot of fun. I want to get better with my aiming before I attempt to shoot an IDPA match.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Yep, I am a charter member of IDPA and it is a good way to evaluate how you react under the pressure of time. Just don't get too wrapped up in it and try for the "M" card or start developing bad habits, such as trying to game everything. IDPA reminds me of what USPSA used to be before the equipment races started at the end of the 1980s, and into the early 90s.....

As far as evaluating performances, use videotape instead of photos; video forces one to be brutally honest because you see more than just a snapshot. With video you can watch body movement, etc and all the things that actually slow you down and cause misses and low scores. Shooting IDPA as well as USPSA style shooting is all about an economy of movement and being smooth, not necessarily being fast. Accuracy will come with time & practice.

As far as the .22 stuff goes, I wouldn't worry about that either. I figure if you are going to practice, practice with the .45acp; you will get used to the recoil, and if you are paying for those rounds, you will concentrate, focus and make each one count.....

Good luck!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Yep, I am a charter member of IDPA and it is a good way to evaluate how you react under the pressure of time. Just don't get too wrapped up in it and try for the "M" card or start developing bad habits, such as trying to game everything. IDPA reminds me of what USPSA used to be before the equipment races started at the end of the 1980s, and into the early 90s.....

As far as evaluating performances, use videotape instead of photos; video forces one to be brutally honest because you see more than just a snapshot. With video you can watch body movement, etc and all the things that actually slow you down and cause misses and low scores. Shooting IDPA as well as USPSA style shooting is all about an economy of movement and being smooth, not necessarily being fast. Accuracy will come with time & practice.

As far as the .22 stuff goes, I wouldn't worry about that either. I figure if you are going to practice, practice with the .45acp; you will get used to the recoil, and if you are paying for those rounds, you will concentrate, focus and make each one count.....

Good luck!
    Points noted.

I just need a camera man. As far as accuracy goes, I was 8pts down for the match, match most accurate was 5pts down so I'm doing something right.

As far as the .22 goes, I just want it for working on my trigger control. Once I get the reloading press up and running I'll shoot much more .45

I hope I don't loose perspective on things and starting worrying about the game aspect of it, that's never really been my thing. As for "master" I don't really care, but I'd like to make expert on the next classifier. If I do better, I won't complain.

I've seen a lot of the USPSA shoots and all the funny gear turns me off, I like the "keep it stock" approach of IDPA. No cleats, jerseys, race holsters, or optics.

Now that I've got my gear almost where I want it to be ( I need a 1-3/4" belt) I will work on my draw stroke much more and try and get that smoothness down.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

I've seen a lot of the USPSA shoots and all the funny gear turns me off, I like the "keep it stock" approach of IDPA. No cleats, jerseys, race holsters, or optics.

If you really saw a lot of the USPSA shoots....you would know that all the race holsters optics etc belong to certain divisions...
    They do have Production and Single Stack where you can only shoot "stock guns" and use only "stock belts-holsters."
    Funny gears? How about the shoot me first vest?
    I carry a gun cause I can't carry a cop.

I've been thinking of joining IDPA for a while now. The drive was always prohibitive for me. We finally got a chapter fairly close. Only about a 70 mile drive away.

It's at a shooting school run by former Marine scout/snipers and current Highway Patrol snipers.

I'll probably run down there next month and watch one of their matches. I think they shoot IDPA 1st Saturday of the month.

Looks like you had a lot of fun.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    Yeah I Love The IDPA, I just wish I could shoot more
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHun View Post
    If you really saw a lot of the USPSA shoots....you would know that all the race holsters optics etc belong to certain divisions...
    They do have Production and Single Stack where you can only shoot "stock guns" and use only "stock belts-holsters."
    Funny gears? How about the shoot me first vest?
    I am well aware of the different divisions, and I will repeat: THE SHOOTS I'VE SEEN have been full of the race stuff etc....

As for the 10+ pocket vests, I agree.

I actually started wearing a fleece vest in VA as the weather there was kind of screwy in the spring/fall. Never quite warm enough for just a shirt, but never quite cold enough for a jacket.

Being out here in farm country, I'll actually wear the Carhartt vest while out working in the yard etc rather than just have some silly "utility garment" for range day.

Oh yeah, and let me tell you what I think about "shooting boxes"

ETA:

Every "sport" has their quirks. USPSA is fun, but I prefer IDPA

One hole in the pocket is enough for now. My wife and I continue to do the USPSA shoots outdoors with stock pistols and gear. Both local IDPA clubs do all of their shoots indoors. Either way, it's practice and shots downrange. Pros and cons of each or either? Not really............you get what you want out of it, or try something else. Glad you're having a blast and doing well.

OD*
    Congratulations John!

Your 1911 didn't jam, didn't break? I don't believe it.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links