.22 Range Gun

.22 Range Gun

This is a discussion on .22 Range Gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey Everyone, Anyone have any experience with the Sig Mosquito? I'd like to pick up a .22 I can get dirt cheap ammo for just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 Range Gun

.22 Range Gun

Hey Everyone,

Anyone have any experience with the Sig Mosquito? I'd like to pick up a .22 I can get dirt cheap ammo for just for fun shooting at the range. I'm not interested in using this as a defense weapon...

So, any thoughts on the Mosquito? Anybody have any other opinions on a fun .22 range gun? I'm not looking to spend a lot on it, so if you have any other reasonably priced options I'd love to consider them as well.

Thanks in advance, as always.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Walther P22...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Ruger 22/45

Hey GDM, good to see you in a non backpacking forum, just a packing forum :)

big fan of the ruger 22/45s myself. Good solid guns, very accurate, reasonable price and quite reliable once broken in. And all the controls are just where they should be

Hey booyha, new around here I see?

I appreciate your input. I'll be heading out hiking in about half an hour, as it were :).
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Don't have any personal experience with the Sig, but you may take a look over here and read the owner comments.

I've had good luck with my Walther P22 though it is slightly picky about ammo and very picky about being limp-wristed.

You really can't go wrong with one of the Rugers, either the Mark III or the 22/45 model for a range gun. They're pretty much bullet-proof. I've even got one of the Single Six Convertibles with 22lr and 22 mag cylinders that's a blast if you like revolvers.

I also have a Smith & Wesson Model 41 that's about as nice as you can get (IMHO), but they are a bit pricey.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I don't have any experience with the Mosquito but would agree that the Rugers make great plinkers. I have a 5.5" bull barrel 22/45 and love it.

Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

Both the Sig and the Walther are great little guns.......but both are very picky on the ammo......if you get the wrong ammo.....you'll spend more time racking the slide than shooting.......

Personally, my buddy has the Browning Buckmark, and my father in law has the Ruger Mark III. I would rather have either one of them for plinking....in fact, father in law has 3 Rugers and I usually shoot one of them when we are pistol plinking...... I love the Ruger!!
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    In my experience, the sig Mosquito is a great feeling, well made handgun, but very ammo sensitive.... I would definately have one IN ADDITION to my Ruger 22/45, but NOT INSTEAD of!

My opinion would be to pick up a Ruger 22/45 for a lifetime of shooting fun.

surv

Where in Florida do you live? I have a Ruger .22 if you want to try it out and you live close.

i'll go along with the Mark III suggestions. I actually prefer the mark III over the Mark II b/c of the mag release is in the "normal" place vs the bottom of the butt. I don't like the mag safety feature where it won't fire w/o the mag but in reality its not that big of a deal on a plinker. The Mark series are a pain in the butt to break down for cleaning if you do it all the way just fyi. if you're looking for a rifle then the ruger 10/22 is also an excellent plinker rifle.

Where in florida do you live if you're close enough to the range i go to you can always come out as my guest and fire off some rounds through my .22s to help you decide

I'm a big fan of cool 22s. You can go as plain as Jane or all out with the Browning Buckmark. Here's one of my favorites. Buckmark/TacSol

Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

Nice King! I like the Ruger......but that is a nice looking Buck!!
    You should get rid of that........ I have a "friend" who would take it off your hands!!
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    one design flaw (in my humble opinion) I recently found out about the Buckmark is that the barrel lug, rather than being a part of the machined barrel assembly, is welded/soldered in. The only reason I found that out was that my gun shop buddy took one in on trade that had to be repaired by a machinist that was experienced enough to know how to reconnect the lug without destroying the integrity of the barrel or lug. I don't know if all Buckmarks are made similar to this. They are really great looking, and great shooters though.

surv

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Anything Ruger can't beat it.I have an old mark 2 auto and a Ruger revolver
    22 witch has a cylinder for 22 magnum.they keep going bang no matter what.
    Ruger 10/22 rifle you can really trick out and have a real nice rifle if you want.My rifle preference is Marlin 60,bolt Mossberg 36B.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Sig Mosquito, Ruger MkII, 22/45 MkIII, S&W 22A.
    All are fun to shoot. The Rugers and Smith seem to be more accurate, but I think it's the longer sight radius combined with my eyes. The Sig does seem to prefer CCI as opposed to the bulk box the others feed on.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links