Encouraging kids to shoot

This is a discussion on Encouraging kids to shoot within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In one of the threads about an LCP pocket holster, someone suggested Uncle Georges wallet holsters. I checked them out and got into a very ...

Thread: Encouraging kids to shoot

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Encouraging kids to shoot

In one of the threads about an LCP pocket holster, someone suggested Uncle Georges wallet holsters. I checked them out and got into a very pleasant email conversation with Uncle George. He and I have a daughter about the same age. The difference is, his daughter is concerned about her safety while mine is a .

I took my daughter to the range a few times, but only under the pretense that we would be going to the mall afterward. He said he did this and it worked quite well. I asked my daughter if years ago she would have been interested in this strategy and she said it would not have worked. I still think it is a great idea.

I glue Necco candies to cardboard strips so my daughter and I can have some fun. We shoot at 50 yards with a .22 Remington Model 5 with a scope.We take turns, her first, and each shoot five shots per turn. I pay her a quarter for each candy she hits and gets a dollar extra if she hits a candy on all five shots. If I shoot out a candy during my turn she can't shoot that candy. Fun way to move some moola to my daughter. She loves it and often when outta cash says "Hey dad, when we goin' to the range?

Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Sweeeeeet...good shooting, too!
    I think it's a great idea and make the range time even more fun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

We Civil War reenactors enjoy, but fear, letting children shoot our big black-powder guns just for fun. I just bought a set of ear muffs and goggles for next year. We know that EVERY Civil War reenactment or event is a potential lawsuit just waiting to happen, no matter how careful we are or try to be. God! Like those idiots who let that 8-year-old boy shoot that UZI, thinking it was funny until it flew up with recoil and put a bullet under the kid's chin. Still, we get a kick out of it, their parents taking pictures of them with us, the first time that they had fun shooting guns with us.

NOTE: Reason for hard heavy trigger pulls and safeties, as recently seen while letting kids handle and hold and shoot guns. Nine times out of ten, too many kids and even adults immediately put their fingers on triggers and pull them! Is it the movies or TV? Ready for action with fingers on triggers for automatic Vietnam action in the jungle? As soon as we handed our rifles to kids we had to tell and yell at them: "GET YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER! THERE IS NO REASON FOR YOUR FINGER TO BE ON THAT TRIGGER!"

Links