Gun Laws

Gun Laws

This is a discussion on Gun Laws within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's a good one for you. I was an employee at a "Police Equipment Company". My duty was mainly in the elecronics: Radios, Radar, lights, ...

Thread: Gun Laws

Gun Laws

Here's a good one for you.
    I was an employee at a "Police Equipment Company". My duty was mainly in the elecronics: Radios, Radar, lights, sirens, etc, but I was on the sales floor between the elctronics fixes.
    A 20 yr old (small town) LEO, who was in uniform, had his ID, and badge out so we knew he was for real, got promoted, and his mother wanted to buy him a Smith model 19 (.357) as a gift. BTW, he had his duty .38 on his hip.
    I called the owner of the business out to help me with the forms, and he stated that the LEO had to bring his mother in, because it was against Federal Law to sell a pistol to anyone under 21.
    He was nice about it, and brought her in the next day. After all, being a LEO, he did want us to break the law.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Really? There's no loophole in the law for bonafide LEO's?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

So....who signed for him to carry his duty 38spl on his hip?

I believe this is correct, most states if not all require one to be 21 to pusrchase or carry. As a LEO he can carry only while on duty. Anyone know about any exempt laws stating otherwise?
    Randy
    Law Enforcement Armorer
    NRA
    GOA
    Range Officer
    Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RA229 View Post
    I believe this is correct, most states if not all require one to be 21 to pusrchase or carry. As a LEO he can carry only while on duty. Anyone know about any exempt laws stating otherwise?
    Not entirely true. An under 21 LEO can carry off duty, but he needs a letter from the chief law enforcement official of the agency that employs him in addition to a valid ID card.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just like the drinking laws. You can serve your country at 17 in Canada. But you can not drink until 18 in some Provinces and 19 in others. "Old enough to serve but not old enough to be served" ???
    "It is foolish to hunt a tiger when there are so many sheep around"

You broke the law anyway. Straw buy.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Probably wrong, as you can buy a gun as a gift, especially to a family member.

Biker

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    She'll have to go back; she forgot the ammo. He can't buy that either.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    I know in Utah, you can't become LEO certified until you are 21. I didn't know it was different anywhere else.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    Really? There's no loophole in the law for bonafide LEO's?
    Federal law = 21 to buy from a FFL.

Some States' laws allow OC and/or CC younger. Ditto private transfer.

Here in Virginia OC at 18 is OK.

Re: straw purchase -- is it a violation to buy it from a FFL and give it (e.g., as a gift) to someone who can legally possess it?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post

It is my belief that the definition of a straw purchase , is if you buy the firearm for any one who by law , would be otherwise barred from possessing the said firearm.IMHO

This is from wikipediaFWIW

However, the term is widely used within the context of United States federal gun laws, whereby a straw purchase is defined as any purchase from a dealer holding a Federal Firearms License where the buyer conducting the transaction is acting as a proxy for another person. The law does not distinguish between someone who is purchasing on behalf of a person who legally cannot purchase or possess a firearm, and one who is not. In the United States, straw purchases are a felony violation of the Gun Control Act of 1968 for both the straw purchaser (who can also be charged with lying on Federal Form 4473) and the ultimate possessor. One of the questions on form 4473 is “I am the buyer of this firearm” and the purchaser must answer honestly yes or no, by checking the appropriate box in ink. However, purchase of a firearm as a bona fide gift for someone who can legally own such a firearm is permitted.

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    Last edited by oneshot; November 11th, 2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: add definition
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    It is my belief that the definition of a straw purchase , is if you buy the firearm for any one who by law , would be otherwise barred from possessing the said firearm.

Barred from possessing and barred from buying are two different things in VA.

INAL -- but IMHO "acting as a proxy for" and buying a present to give to someone are two different things, also.

Any FFL or attorney care to join in?
    Last edited by DaveH; November 11th, 2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Added the yup
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    It is my belief that the definition of a straw purchase , is if you buy the firearm for any one who by law , would be otherwise barred from possessing the said firearm.IMHO

This is from wikipediaFWIW

However, the term is widely used within the context of United States federal gun laws, whereby a straw purchase is defined as any purchase from a dealer holding a Federal Firearms License where the buyer conducting the transaction is acting as a proxy for another person. The law does not distinguish between someone who is purchasing on behalf of a person who legally cannot purchase or possess a firearm, and one who is not. In the United States, straw purchases are a felony violation of the Gun Control Act of 1968 for both the straw purchaser (who can also be charged with lying on Federal Form 4473) and the ultimate possessor. One of the questions on form 4473 is “I am the buyer of this firearm” and the purchaser must answer honestly yes or no, by checking the appropriate box in ink. However, purchase of a firearm as a bona fide gift for someone who can legally own such a firearm is permitted.

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    Thanks for the info. I had a buddy that was told buy a gun shop that it would be illegal.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Links