Humidity management in safe, or "Ugh!!!"

This is a discussion on Humidity management in safe, or "Ugh!!!" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Swat, that's a heck of a visual aid to get a point across. Need to track down some Eezox methinks. I discovered this afternoon that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Humidity management in safe, or "Ugh!!!"

Swat, that's a heck of a visual aid to get a point across. Need to track down some Eezox methinks.

I discovered this afternoon that we actually got an Oregon Scientific "Weather Station" as a wedding present that I knew nothing about, my wife's had it set up in another room of the house. It was showing ambient humidity in the house as being 66%. I moved it into my closet on top of my safe a couple hours ago, and it's now showing 30% humidity. (And 94 degrees!) There's also a good amount of moisture collected in the "Dry-Z-Air" tray. My glasses no longer fog up upon entering the closet, and my rice even feels a little moist!! I think the plan will be to continue to run the space heater over night, then maybe tomorrow seal the safe up with the Dry-Z-Air and the Goldenrod and the sensor, (but no guns just yet), and get an idea for what it's going to show for humidity after a few hours. I'll keep everyone updated.. Thanks again for all the support.
    .40 is fine.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Buy some Eezox! It's the BEST!

If your arms were being stored in their original boxes before transfer, they might have been full of moisture.
    Empty the safe and dry it out, with a hair dryer if necessary. Make sure any boxes are dry, dry, dry. You want to make sure you're not putting any moisture into the safe.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Not being stored in their original boxes or anything else, just sitting in the safe naked as a jay bird. Humidity down to 25%!!!
    .40 is fine.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Griblik View Post
    Not being stored in their original boxes or anything else, just sitting in the safe naked as a jay bird. Humidity down to 25%!!!
    How long after you brought it in from the barn into your house was it that you filled it up with your guns? Even if it was three days it still would have had a lot of humidity in the safe from the sweating caused by the temperature change.
    I'd empty the safe and stick a lamp inside it for a day or until I was sure it was totally dry inside before putting anything else back in. And I'd put some humidity indicator strips in it with the guns and keep an eye on it. Good luck!

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Ok, I had a similar problem because my safe is in my garage...pay close attention as this information came from my gunsmith and has not been wrong.

1. Go buy a quality heat rod and install it in your safe by the instructions on the rod.
    2. If you have the "humidity cubes" or dry pellets, toss them in the garbage, they're not worth the polymer they're made of.
    3. Go buy a can of Fluid Film.
    4. Pull everything out of your safe and clean the firearms one at a time.
    5. Carefully (by the instructions on the can) put a coat of Fluid Film on the exposed metal exteriors of your firearms. Like any other product, try to keep it off your plastics and wood...shouldn't hurt it, but wise to keep it off anyway.
    6. OPTIONAL: Pick up one or more of the Browning rust inhibitors and put one in the most applicable site inside your safe. Add them as you need to, change as instructed.
    7. Once per week, pull your firearms out and inspect/clean them. Retreat with Fluid Film if needed.

Once you have the rust under control (a week or two may do the trick), you can cut back on the periodical cleaning. The Fluid Film and/or rust inhibitors will be vital.

Note: try to avoid lying any firearms flat on carpeted surfaces inside your safe. It can transfer rust particles into the carpet and then from firearm to firearm. Pegboard on the inside walls is best when applicable (obviously not for rifles).

Administrator
    This is a FANTASTIC product.
    You need to be able to drill a small hole in your safe to run the wire out though.
    GoldenRod Dehumidifiers - Moisture Control like Magic - Oxnard, California USA

Griblik, there may be an issue with moisture in the insulation of your safe.

The safe that contains my Winchester rifle collection has a Goldenrod. The other has nothing. My guns were stored in those safes unattended for periods of up to two years while I worked out of the country. I have never had a gun rust.

My guns that are in short term storage have the outside metal surfaces coated with Mili-Tec. The bores are swabbed with a patch moist with Rem-Oil.

Many of my guns are in longer term storage. The metal surfaces are smeared with gun grease or treated with a quality Carnuba wax. The bores are treated with a patch saturated with Militec. Unless I get an urge to fire one of them, those guns are very seldom removed from the safe.

Definitely sounds like there's any over abundance of moisture in that safe for some reason. The golden rod should take care of the problem. If you need one PM me your address and I send you one that I have. I can't use it in my safe. Here in the high desert of Wyoming we have so low of humidity that it's not needed. My very expensive Shiloh Sharps stocks were getting to dry with the golden rod so I quit using it. I would empty your safe and put the golden rod in there for a few weeks and make sure it was dry before putting the guns back in. Also a good quality gun oil will go long way in protecting you valuable guns. Sorry but Rem oil won't cut it. I personally prefer Clenzoil, but there are plenty of other options.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Remington make a rechargable silica dehumidifier. It's good for a few weeks, and then you plug it in for a few hours and you're then good to go again. Might be a good solution for you.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Griblik, sorry to hear about your guns. Gunzzla should help with the surface rust. Are you able to dehumidify the room where the safe is ?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links