Panama

This is a discussion on Panama within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was just thinking about when I was in Panama when I was in the army along time ago. I was at an in country briefing ...

Thread: Panama

Panama

Was just thinking about when I was in Panama when I was in the army along time ago. I was at an in country briefing and they had mentioned that you could carry there and if you did cary and you had to shoot someone they strongly advised us to kill the BG so he could not testify against you. Was just thinking how the laws differ from one country to the next. Couldn't imagine doing that in the states would be a little over kill and you just might go to jail.
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

2. Remove Ads

In most states the requirements to use lethal force in self defense are that someone is trying to harm you with lethal force. And then some legal stuff that changes from state to state about duties to retreat, and not being the one causing the incident and whatnot.

But, if you are legally authorized to draw and shoot someone, even shooting in their general direction is considered lethal force. Keep in mind, I'm not a lawyer. But shooting someone in their foot, and hitting them in the CNS, are both lethal force in the eyes of the law. Your goal should be to end that lethal threat as quickly and effectively as possible.

Of course, you still might go to jail on a good shoot depending on your states laws and how good your lawyer is.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

When in Rome...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I was taught, you shoot to stop... you have to shoot someone COM to get them to stop, usually... it often causes death...that's a side effect...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

if I was in the position to have to pull the trigger it means my life is in danger or a family members life. A "foot" shot / wounding is out of the question, I'm going to stop the threat with as few shots as possible in a manner where I know the attacker can not possibly continue. I'm going to COM and if it doesn't stop the threat I'm shooting at COM again or if possible the neck or nose region.

Links