Selling a Handgun Responsibly?

This is a discussion on Selling a Handgun Responsibly? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've decided to sell a Ruger GP-100 that I bought 5 months ago. I've never sold a handgun before. I want to make sure that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling a Handgun Responsibly?

I've decided to sell a Ruger GP-100 that I bought 5 months ago. I've never sold a handgun before. I want to make sure that the buyer is legally able to own a handgun. Thoughts and questions:

A local shop offered me $300 for it. That would ensure that they re-sell it to a legal party after a background check, but I estimate that I can sell it privately for around $100 more. I don't think they're lowballing me and I recognize that they need to make a profit, but I'd hate to lose out on the extra money. That leads to....

I'm thinking a reasonable plan is to sell it to a CPL holder (my state calls it a Concealed Pistol License) OR go through an FFL.

A CPL holder would show me his or her license, I'd copy down the info, and we'd exchange $$ and firearm. No problem.

If the private party is not a CPL holder, I'm thinking we could both go to an FFL and, after paying the transfer fee to the FFL, the FFL could run a NICS check, document the transfer on his books, and the other party and I would exchange funds and firearm. I'd know I wasn't selling it to a felon.

Sound reasonable?

FFL's out there: I assume you would be willing to have buyer and seller come to your place, pay your fee, and transfer the firearm face to face?
    Last edited by alienbogey; November 11th, 2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: clarity
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

I'm thinking a FFL would need to log it in and log it out to charge a fee or do a transfer. In other words, the gun needs to change hands twice. You to the dealer, then from the dealer to the buyer. I don't think a FFL dealer can even do an NICS check unless they are selling the pistol. Misuse of the NICS instant check system has ramifications of it's own if caught. A reasonable plan would be to sell to a CPL holder, or you could get a yellow sheet from a dealer for free and have the buyer fill it out for your record, and verify their identity with driver's license. You could also ask your local dealer if they take consignments. This alone would mean someone who is likely legal to own/purchase would need to walk in to the FFL dealer to buy in another attempt to rule out any bad characters. Just some ideas.

Check your state laws.

When I sold my Colt AR I took it to a Firearms dealer for the transfer. Charged $20.00. Was living in California at the time and it was required.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alienbogey View Post
    I've decided to sell a Ruger GP-100 that I bought 5 months ago. I've never sold a handgun before. I want to make sure that the buyer is legally able to own a handgun. Thoughts and questions:---------------
    I'm thinking a reasonable plan is to sell it to a CPL holder (my state calls it a Concealed Pistol License) OR go through an FFL.

A CPL holder would show me his or her license, I'd copy down the info, and we'd exchange $$ and firearm. No problem.

Sound reasonable?----
    --------------

NOT LEGAL IN WASHINGTON STATE-------

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaw...gton-state.pdf

GO to a DEALER
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    --------------

NOT LEGAL IN WASHINGTON STATE-------

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaw...gton-state.pdf

GO to a DEALER
    Where exactly does it say you can't sell a handgun privately in WA?

I've had good success selling some guns on Gunbroker. I specify that I will only ship FFL to FFL. My local gun shop does the transfer and shipping for $40, which I tag onto the asking price as my shipping charge.

Required or not, I don't feel comfortable selling a firearm to someone I don't know personally without a NICS check.

I'm actually thinking about selling my SP101 to fund another LCP...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I would ask a local FFL what the procedure should be.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I would ask a local FFL what the procedure should be.
    I would higly recommend reading the laws yourself. I had a local FFL dealer here tell me it was ok to do a private handgun transaction across state lines , which by the way, is against federal law!

Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    I would higly recommend reading the laws yourself. I had a local FFL dealer here tell me it was ok to do a private handgun transaction across state lines , which by the way, is against federal law!
    Yes, of course you are right. One should be familiar with their local laws and not just take someone's word on it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Gunbroker has good information for sellers and shipping. I sold a pistol through them and followed their procedure. You have to have proof that the receiver of your shipment has a valid FFL. If I sell another, though, I'll ship through my local FFL as 10thmtn said up about. FFL holders can ship cheaply through USPS. Us unlicensed folks have to ship through FedX or UPS and it costs an arm and a leg.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

YEs check state laws. In Florida it is legal to sell unless you know the buyer cannot legally own, such as under 21 or criminal background, but still best to go through a FFL
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alienbogey View Post
    I've decided to sell a Ruger GP-100 that I bought 5 months ago. I've never sold a handgun before. I want to make sure that the buyer is legally able to own a handgun. Thoughts and questions:

A local shop offered me $300 for it. That would ensure that they re-sell it to a legal party after a background check, but I estimate that I can sell it privately for around $100 more. I don't think they're lowballing me and I recognize that they need to make a profit, but I'd hate to lose out on the extra money. That leads to....

If the private party is not a CPL holder, I'm thinking we could both go to an FFL and, after paying the transfer fee to the FFL, the FFL could run a NICS check, document the transfer on his books, and the other party and I would exchange funds and firearm. I'd know I wasn't selling it to a felon.

Sound reasonable?

FFL's out there: I assume you would be willing to have buyer and seller come to your place, pay your fee, and transfer the firearm face to face?
    Unless you are an 01-FFL, you cannot legally sell or transfer a firearm by yourself except with some special exceptions wills, etc. It is possible to broker it to auction website hover this is no different than transferring to an FFL, since the auction broker must himself be an FFL.
    Should you have any further questions, contact your local ATF field office.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    YEs check state laws. In Florida it is legal to sell unless you know the buyer cannot legally own, such as under 21 or criminal background, but still best to go through a FFL
    Yes, Florida makes it fairly easy, but paying a bit for an FFL is a lot cheaper than having BATFE paying you a visit at some future date.
    I would feel comfortable selling a pistol to someone 'in state' who has a driver's license and a concealed carry permit...of course, make copies of all info and file.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Unless you are an 01-FFL, you cannot legally sell or transfer a firearm by yourself except with some special exceptions wills, etc. It is possible to broker it to auction website hover this is no different than transferring to an FFL, since the auction broker must himself be an FFL.
    Should you have any further questions, contact your local ATF field office.
    I don't understand your post. Are you saying that all of the face to face transfers/sales/swaps/etc done through this website and many others are against the law? If what you are saying is true then there are a large number of criminals right here on this forum.

Also, to the guy that said you have to be 21 to own a handgun, this is incorrect. You have to be 21 to buy from a dealer (FFL), but other than that it's up to your state laws. For example, here in GA you can buy a handgun privately as long as you are 18 or older because state laws says 18 is the legal age for handguns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links