Remington Model 700 Question

This is a discussion on Remington Model 700 Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was in a gun store today and saw a Remington Model 700 with a blued barrel, but the fore end and butt stock was ...

Thread: Remington Model 700 Question

I was in a gun store today and saw a Remington Model 700 with a blued barrel, but the fore end and butt stock was rubber. Not rubber panels, but all rubber though and through. Is this an aftermarket set up, possibly Hogue? Or was the rifle offered from the factory this way?
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

Sounds like a Hogue stock. You can apparently get them from the factory this way.
    Remington Model 700 SPS Tactical Premier Dealer Exclusive

Thank you Ram Rod for the quick reply and link. The front end of the stock was flexible, don't know if that makes a difference. The thing I notices about the hard synthetic stocks was they were slippery with unsharp checkering. This thing was like sticky tape.

Quote Originally Posted by chains1240 View Post
    Thank you Ram Rod for the quick reply and link. The front end of the stock was flexible, don't know if that makes a difference. The thing I notices about the hard synthetic stocks was they were slippery with unsharp checkering. This thing was like sticky tape.
    I know what you mean. I have a Hogue overmolded rubber stock for one of my Ruger 10/22s. That's about as far as I would go with one of them. On a tactical or heavy bolt rifle, I just couldn't see it. On the other hand you can walk through the woods and thickets with one and not worry about scratching up your nice wood or laminated stock.

I have an sps tactical and it does not fail to perform. Its not possible for your hands to slip off this stock. The fact that it is free floated does not hurt
    Kimber Pro Carry II
    SIG Sauer P229, 238, Mosquito
    Beretta 92FS
    Custom STI 1911
    Glock 17 Gen 3
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by chains1240 View Post
    The front end of the stock was flexible, don't know if that makes a difference.
    If you're trying to shoot accurately off a bipod it does. A stiff stock will improve your groups.

Yep, sounds like a Hogue product on there. Was it the short bull barrel model?

If you're looking into the Rem 700, remember that it's like a 1911, there's a lot of options out there once you start.

I just picked up a Frank Duren Custom Remington 700 in .308 and it's bad! I honestly think the action is the only thing still Remington.

To start accurizing one of the Rem 700's, you note that many will tell you the first 2 investments will be an aftermarket stock and a bipod, then hit the trigger/action/muzzle brake/barrel/etc. McMillan seems to be the way to go for stocks...mine has a McMillan and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    If you're trying to shoot accurately off a bipod it does. A stiff stock will improve your groups.
    I hadn't thought about that. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I am just really researching my choices for next year. I think the ideal right now is the Remington Model 700 Mountain LSS. Although the website does not list it in .308, 30-06 would be ok too. I like the laminated stocks the best. Or a Winchester model 70 Ultimate Shadow in .308

Senior Moderator
    I've built several rifles and use the HS Precision stock. I just did a build for a friend of mine that bought the "Tactical" Remington in .308.

We put a match grade Shilen barrel with a 1 in 8 twist and chambered it for the .300/221 Fireball which he shoots suppressed. He elected to keep the Hogue "Overmolded" stock on it because he likes the way it feels. While it is a great stock, as DarkVibe noted, it is a bit too flexible for a bi-pod if you are going that route. For a hunting gun it wont matter.

It's quite and feels good in the hand.

Unless you just want a .30-06, I'd go with the .308. The only advantage that the '06 has it that it can shoot heavier bullets. The .308 can do up to 180 grains but the '06 can do up to 220. For most people it is not an issue, but it can push the heavys a bit faster than the .308.

On the other hand, the .308 can kill anything that the .30-06 does, but with a lighter gun and a bit less recoil.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Unless you just want a .30-06, I'd go with the .308. The only advantage that the '06 has it that it can shoot heavier bullets. The .308 can do up to 180 grains but the '06 can do up to 220. For most people it is not an issue, but it can push the heavys a bit faster than the .308.

On the other hand, the .308 can kill anything that the .30-06 does, but with a lighter gun and a bit less recoil.
    I would rather have a .308. I first thought 7mm-08 but unless I want to handload the bullets get expensive quick. I now see that Remington makes a 700 Varmint Laminated Stock but the barrel is 4" longer and presumably heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    For deer? J/K thanks for the link though.

Oh, I missed the deer part. Yeah a R700 in that AICS must weight like 15 lbs.

Links