Need Info

Need Info

This is a discussion on Need Info within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I see alot of integrally suppressed Remington 700 bolt action rifles around in the .300 Whisper caliber. Im wondering how deep that barrel must be ...

Thread: Need Info

Senior Moderator

Need Info

I see alot of integrally suppressed Remington 700 bolt action rifles around in the .300 Whisper caliber.

Im wondering how deep that barrel must be bored to achieve a sastifactory suppression, and I know that in a suppressor, volume is everything.

I figure that on the 1.250 O.D. barrel that seems to be common, the most you could have on the I.D. is probably 1 inch and that would leave an 1/8" thick wall which would be the least you could have and still have enough for a threaded cap.

So...the machinist in me wants to know....

just how deep are those things bored ?
    On the typical 22" barrel, is the bore as long as the rifling or what ?

anybody got a clue ?

Lead Moderator
    nope, perhaps the Full auto NFA crowd on AR15.com can help ya.
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=17
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Good post Hotguns and info-charged response from rocky. I was dabbling through a couple sites last night and had come across the internally suppressed rifles and such. I hadn't heard of such a thing before so I'm glad I saw this post this morning. Now I can hopefully find out exactly how that is suppose to work without a can on the end...
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for the info Rocky...I'll check into it...

gddyup...

Now I can hopefully find out exactly how that is suppose to work without a can on the end...
    I know how they work as I have one that I built for my .300 AR-15.
    Basically, a larger barrel outder diameter is used and a certain portion of it is machined into a tube in which the baffles stack up. Its pretty much the same thing as a detachable suppressor, except that it is using the existing barrel rather than a can.

It would have to be more accurate and durable as there are no misalignment problems, which is always a problem with any suppressor that is threaded on to a barrel. Also, due to no misalignment problems, the centerhole in the baffles that the bullet passes through could be built with tighter tolerances so the end result woudl be more suppression.

So, you could have a rifle that is suppressed that doesnt look any different than a heavy barrelled target rifle like this...

Im just wondering how deep they have to bore that barrel...
    BTW...that is a .300 Whisper suppressed rifle built by TROS.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Try asking over at www.subguns.com - AKA "Tom Bowers' Politically Incorrect Machine Gun Pages".

Depends much on who is making it. It may be back-bored, it may be shortened and turned down with a full-length sleeve threaded to the shoulder- I can't think of any other modern variations off the top of my head.

John's guns, down in TX, turns out some nice work; I think most of the big makers will do a conversion for you, on your platform. To stay w/in a manageable 22-26" envelope, you'll usually see 16-18" of actual barrel, though that's changing with more efficient baffles. Small Arms Review has done several excellent interviews, in the past couple of years.
    Last edited by Rob72; April 25th, 2006 at 10:59 AM.

Senior Moderator
    To saty w/in a manageable 22-26" envelope, you'll usually see 16-18" of actual barrel, though that's changing with more efficient baffles.
    Thats about what I figured. Got any articles on from SAR on it ?

PM me your mailing address, and I'll run some copies off, and send them your way. Moose Lake publishing is the group that puts out SAR, if you like what you see, you can get complete back issues for $5/ea. May take me a week or so, since I have SAR back to 2001.......

Links