Water Buffalo Caliber - Page 4

Water Buffalo Caliber

This is a discussion on Water Buffalo Caliber within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't think anyone would seriously think to go after Big 5 or 6 level game with Hornady Leverlution. Maybe Steve Irwin might have, but ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Water Buffalo Caliber

I don't think anyone would seriously think to go after Big 5 or 6 level game with Hornady Leverlution. Maybe Steve Irwin might have, but not too many others.

Look into the offerings as from Corbon and even better Garret for what folks are using, and very much succeeding with, as in .45-70 as toward this level of game.

Garrett Cartridges Online - Products

As for single shot, I'd rather have 5 or 7 rounds of Hornady .45-70 on hand than a single shot of .375 H&H.
    But then I'm not Steve Irwin either, and have never been charged by anything larger than a dog. :p

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I don't think anyone would seriously think to go after Big 5 or 6 level game with Hornady Leverlution. Maybe Steve Irwin might have, but not too many others.

Look into the offerings as from Corbon and even better Garret for what folks are using, and very much succeeding with, as in .45-70 as toward this level of game.

Garrett Cartridges Online - Products

As for single shot, I'd rather have 5 or 7 rounds of Hornady .45-70 on hand than a single shot of .375 H&H.
    But then I'm not Steve Irwin either, and have never been charged by anything larger than a dog. :p

- Janq
    Steve Irwin was an idiot, IMHO.

I however am just a former bullrider that likes a challenge. I have been hooked, stomped on, jerked down (face shattered), and have the aches and pains to wish I was already dead on a cold day.

I've been known to wait until I get the perfect shot, or I don't take a shot. This will be the largest game animal I've taken so far, if you include the danger element. Elk aren't dangerous IMHO.

Devone6, thank you for the suggestion of the Nikon scope. I will be looking at them more closely in the very near future. I will also be calling Eo Tech to see if they offer what I want. I'm thinking a holographic with a magnifier may be just the ticket.

As far as the Ruger, I don't have it yet, but will order it from my dealer shortly. Most likely right after the holidays. I'm talking with a friend who's big in the SCI and will get some guidance from him, being that he has hunted Africa, but needs his Hippo to complete his Big 5.

Lots and lots of people are trying to steer me into having more rounds available, either Lever Action or Bolt Action. I am remaining obstinant though and wish to do it with a Single Shot. My life insurance is paid up, and I'm worth more dead than alive, so what the heck.

I appreciate all the advice, and look forward to more as I progress towards embarking upon my trip. Tentative date for the trip is 10/15/2010.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

Lots and lots of people are trying to steer me into having more rounds available, either Lever Action or Bolt Action. I am remaining obstinant though and wish to do it with a Single Shot. My life insurance is paid up, and I'm worth more dead than alive, so what the heck.

Biker

It's your hunt, your memories. I say, 'bully!'; do it your way.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Biker have you checked CDNN? Their latest catalog has a stainless Ruger #1 in .375 Ruger for $749. Very cheap for a #1 and the .375 Ruger cartridge is more than enough gun.

I'm not good enough on here to send you to the catalog but here is the site. Just download their catalog and you will find it.

CDNN Sports, Inc.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Biker have you checked CDNN? Their latest catalog has a stainless Ruger #1 in .375 Ruger for $749. Very cheap for a #1 and the .375 Ruger cartridge is more than enough gun.

I'm not good enough on here to send you to the catalog but here is the site. Just download their catalog and you will find it.

CDNN Sports, Inc.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    It's your hunt, your memories. I say, 'bully!'; do it your way.
    Agreed.

BTW that CDNN price is great!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

OK, I have a call in to the Guide that I'm strongly considering.

I'm hoping for a call back in a week or so. Now I'm in the hunt for a scope. I'm strongly leaning towards an EO Tech, as that is the sight picture I'm most familiar with. From what I can gather, and I'll know more after my conversation with the Guide, 100 Yards is considered a long shot.

Since the distance is short, I'm thinking it would be conditions favorable to the EO Tech. I'm also looking at the Nikon scopes, and if I go with a traditional scope that will most likely be my choice.

If it's OK with Bumper, and the Mods, I'd like to use this thread as a continuation throughout the year. While it's not self defense in nature I feel that certain self defensive elements are involved, and could be a good learning tool for myself and others. Case in point, the sight and need for a fast sight picture up close against possibly dangerous game.

Biker

Senior Moderator
    Eo Tech ought to be fine.

Much better for close in than a scope.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    OK, I have a call in to the Guide that I'm strongly considering.

I'm hoping for a call back in a week or so. Now I'm in the hunt for a scope. I'm strongly leaning towards an EO Tech, as that is the sight picture I'm most familiar with. From what I can gather, and I'll know more after my conversation with the Guide, 100 Yards is considered a long shot.

Since the distance is short, I'm thinking it would be conditions favorable to the EO Tech. I'm also looking at the Nikon scopes, and if I go with a traditional scope that will most likely be my choice.

If it's OK with Bumper, and the Mods, I'd like to use this thread as a continuation throughout the year. While it's not self defense in nature I feel that certain self defensive elements are involved, and could be a good learning tool for myself and others. Case in point, the sight and need for a fast sight picture up close against possibly dangerous game.

Biker
    I will be looking forward to this thread continuing. Please post info (and pics ) as your hunt and gear quest unfolds.

This is going to be fun. A classic rifle, a modern sight device and an ornery old bull that wants none of it.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Hey Biker did you go with CDNN for the #1? They have good optics prices too but selection is hit or miss.

I've never researched Eotech prices so I can't help there. If you go with Nikon look here... Nikon . They are hard to beat on price and have free shipping. I have bought three scopes from them with no problems.

I know we don't always see eye to eye, but that doesn't mean you should overpay. : )
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Hey Biker did you go with CDNN for the #1? They have good optics prices too but selection is hit or miss.

I've never researched Eotech prices so I can't help there. If you go with Nikon look here... Nikon . They are hard to beat on price and have free shipping. I have bought three scopes from them with no problems.

I know we don't always see eye to eye, but that doesn't mean you should overpay. : )
    I'll get the rifle after the first of the year, as we are finishing paying off some bills. If I got the rifle now it would end up costing me more than what I would save by the time I paid the interest on the credit card. I do appreciate the help though.

As for the EO Tech, I was a little concerned with it being able to handle the recoil of a .375 H&H. That's just a wee bit more recoil than the 5.56. I've got an Email in to EO Tech, and I'm waiting for their technical answer, which will either be "yes" or "no".

Biker

VIP Member
    I'm with ya on the credit card thing. I already have spousal approval for a new (my first) AR with our tax return money. I can't wait.

What else can this be used for?

The typical applications in tactical environments are for shoulder mounted small arms weapon systems like MP5 style sub guns, M4/M16 and derivatives, tactical shotguns, etc. ...Other applications include medium caliber (.50) machine gun weaponry...

Source - Product FAQs | L-3 EOTech - Holographic Weapons Systems
    EOTech 552 AA Night Vision Compatible with BDC Reticle for .50 BMG

I'm going to bet their answer will be 'Yes'.

- Janq

I'm late to the conversation, but a friend used a .458 caliber as a back-up elephant gun.... for elephants. I shot it a few times, and it was a great gun. It would Push / Shove you back pretty good, but didn't kick badly per se. You had to be ready and make sure it was in your shoulder good. But, I have no doubt it would take down a water buffalo or about anything else.

Link : (The .458 Winchester Magnum)

Examples on Rifles : 458 LOTT Caliber Rifles for Sale - Able Ammo

Rifle Caliber Ballistics : http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....allistics.html
    You'll notice Energy @ 200 yards
    30-06 = 1635
    .375 = 2608 to 3412 (ultra mag)
    45-70 = 1031
    .458 = 3825

I have found back in the day's that an M60 alway's had a good effect on any Water Buffalo's that got in it's way.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links