Beretta PX4 SC Help

Beretta PX4 SC Help

This is a discussion on Beretta PX4 SC Help within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi everyone, I purchased a PX4 Subcompact 9mm about two months ago. It has been to the range two times. The first time I took ...

Beretta PX4 SC Help

Hi everyone,

I purchased a PX4 Subcompact 9mm about two months ago. It has been to the range two times. The first time I took it I fired about 120 rounds through it. 80 rounds Winchester white box FMJ and 40 rounds Federal Hydra-Shok. The firearm functioned flawlessly. Today, I went to the range with a box of remington UMC and a box of Federal. Both boxes were FMJ. I fired about 20 rounds from each box. The entire time I was at the range I had issues with the slide failing to lock open after the last round. I had three issues with the firearm double feeding with the remington ammunition. Now that I am home I have taken the firearm apart and inspected for gunk and debris. I cannot find any. I should also note that the firearm was cleaned and oiled about a week prior to going to the range.

Has anyone had a similar issue. At first I thought it may be the ammunition but it happened with both. I am pretty sure I wasn't limp wristing it. I even had the range master watch me for a bit. He was stumped.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Zepar; November 14th, 2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Added an -e to "note"

Did this happen with both magazines? The mag would be the first thing I would suspect.

Honestly, I didn't even think to try the magazine without the finger extension. I just got done cleaning and oiling the firearm. I am thinking about taking it back to the range tomorrow. I am going to try both magazines with the winchester ammo first to see if it repeats itself.

The PX4sc is a marvelous pistol, mine has been totally reliable with everything I've shot thru it. The magazine would be my 1'st concern in the malfunctions you described. Some pistols are just ammo sensitive and these little Berettas has strong recoil springs requiring strong ammo to function properly. I shoot a lot of WWB also and it is fairly mild, so if it still functions 100% with it, perhaps the other ammo was underpowered. Remember that these short barrel pistols do not let the powder to always burn completely. Good luck you have a great pistol that I would highly recommend to anyone.

My range report:

For all the ammo, I loaded 5 rounds at a time to the magazine. The firearm was cleaned and oiled the day before.

1. Winchester White Box: 50 rounds. Zero malfunctions.

2. Remington UMC: 50 rounds. 2 jams (failures to eject the spent case as it attempted to load the next round). 4 failures to lock the slide after the last round.

3. Federal: 50 rounds. 1 jam. 5 failures to lock the slide after the last round.

4. Winchester White Box: 50 rounds. Zero malfunctions.

I find this kind of strange that the Beretta could be so touchy towards the different name brands of ammunition. Any advice or comments?

Links