Demographics Poll: DC.com

This is a discussion on Demographics Poll: DC.com within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm wondering about the demographics of this board. Specifically what type of area did you grow up in predominately (age 0 to 21), also what ...

View Poll Results: Location type: Age 0 to 21 & Current

Voters
221. You may not vote on this poll
  • Metropolitan & Metropolitan

63 28.51%
  • Rural & Rural

68 30.77%
  • Metropolitan & Rural

35 15.84%
  • Rural & Metropolitan

46 20.81%
  • Metropolitan & <Not yet aged 22 or older>

5 2.26%
  • Rural & <Not yet aged 22 or older>

4 1.81%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Demographics Poll: DC.com

Demographics Poll: DC.com

I'm wondering about the demographics of this board.

Specifically what type of area did you grow up in predominately (age 0 to 21), also what type of area do you live in currently (today right now).

As following the standards used by multiple state and federal agencies as related to location demographics, there are just two location types; Metropolitan and Rural.

Other types such as 'suburbs' and 'suburban' and 'exburb' as well as 'inner city' as though there is an outer city are not relevant to this threads purpose and application.
    Those terms are better suited to describing specific real estate districts as within a region.

Definitions of Metropolitan and Rural are at the following; http://www.nal.usda.gov/ric/ricpubs/what_is_rural.shtml

Choices:
    Metropolitan & Metropolitan
    Rural & Rural
    Metropolitan & Rural
    Rural & Metropolitan
    Metropolitan & <Not yet aged 22 or older>
    Rural & <Not yet aged 22 or older>

If as growing up (age 0 to 21 yrs) you happened to have moved a lot and/or traveled as for any given reason (military, divorced parents, schooling, whatever) then answer to the first part of this question as based on the majority type of areas you resided within.

- Janq is Metropolitan & Rural

Note: This poll is not person specific, no request for such private information is requested to be specifically shared as a posting and this exercise is for entertainment purposes only as per my own curiosity.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I voted Metropolitan & Metropolitan, however, it only takes a few minutes of driving to be in a rural area around here.

VIP Member
    Not sure what to check: Metropolitan and rural till 24. Suburban for the last 43 years.

It was the rural part of my upbringing where I learned about guns and shooting.

JD
    Administrator
    Metro & Rural.

I grew up outside of Detroit, spent the better part of 5 years between SanDiego and LA, then 3.5 years outside of Philly.

Now there's a grain elevator behind my house and corn fields all around...

Ahhh peaceful tranquility.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Now there's a grain elevator behind my house
    And JD Loves Lima painted on it in John Deere Green
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

VIP Member
    Initially, this poll didn't make any sense to me. After reading it over 3-4 times I now get it.
    Regards,
    Dan
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Rural-Rural. Grew up on a farm in Ohio and lived there for a good part of my life and that was very rural for Ohio. Then moved to Wyoming and found out what rural really was. Went to the big town of Casper (50,000) yesterday, couldn't wait to get out of all that traffic.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

I grew up in South East Dallas (Pleasant Grove) and hung around downtown a lot and surrounding areas. I now live in McKinney, 120,000 people, but had to drive through corn fields to get to my house up until a year ago.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Not sure what to check: Metropolitan and rural till 24. Suburban for the last 43 years.

It was the rural part of my upbringing where I learned about guns and shooting.
    Hopyard,

As a demographic type 'Suburban' is a subset of Metropolitan, it is not it's own type.

As to having grown up in both metro and rural locations select the choice that is to the majority as by location type. Not that of your own mentality or what you might have preferred. Just that to which you were located in to a majority as in 51% or greater.

No tax monies nor cute furry forest animals are in jeopardy by answering.
    This is purely for my own curiosity, and I think it might be better telling toward the realitys of the boards membership.

Thanks for your participation!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Rural-Rural. Grew up on a farm in Ohio and lived there for a good part of my life and that was very rural for Ohio. Then moved to Wyoming and found out what rural really was. Went to the big town of Casper (50,000) yesterday, couldn't wait to get out of all that traffic.
    Side bar:
    Say Jeff,
    I have one of the very first Galco posters of your avatar. It's still new in the shipping tube. I presume you have one too?
    Dan
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Metro and Metro for me. I spent a lot of time in rural areas growing up, never really had my residence there though.

But I'm still a young pup, and planning on moving to much more rural areas when I finally buy my own place.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

From 0 to age 21 I grew up in rural (accd. to your provided link) south Louisiana. At twenty one I started seeing the U.S. and the world in the Navy.....although right now I'm stationed in a rural county.

Rural-rural.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Moderator
    Grew up in one of the most sparsely populated counties in Alabama, moved to a city with a pop. of 50,000 when I was 9 and now live in a town with less than 5000 people in it
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Wyoming is WONDERFULLY rural! Wish I was still there!

For now I'm rural-metro, but one day will be able to vote rural-rural again. I'm getting out of the rat race as soon as it's feasible.

VIP Member
    well, isn't it nice to have the (sarcasm) nice clear distinct definition of the two terms,
    even according to the online resources, of course they're gov't run so imagine that

I grew up in Metro (150,000) til high school then lived in a town of 3600, this was in the vast wide open desert of West Texas, I would not consider that as metro...there was only 2 towns of 50,000 or more within 200 miles, 30 miles in each direction to another town

went to college and now live in metro (almost 200,000)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links