Mossberg Maverick 88 Field

This is a discussion on Mossberg Maverick 88 Field within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking for an all around shotgun. I plan to use it for trap/skeet, waterfowl (well all birds), deer, as well as turkey. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg Maverick 88 Field

I am looking for an all around shotgun. I plan to use it for trap/skeet, waterfowl (well all birds), deer, as well as turkey. I am still in college and funds are a low. I would really like the Remington 887, but I don't think I can afford a $400 shotgun at this time. I saw a Mossberg Maverick 88 Field today in a local Wal-Mart for $187 dollars. WOW! Is that cheap! I know Mossberg makes a pretty good shotgun, but there next shotty starts around $350. Why is the Maverick so cheap? Is it going to break after 100 rounds? Is the Maverick a gun that I could go shoot 100 rounds in a trap match and be ok? Could I go Quail hunting and not have issue's? And is that front ball sight replaceable, with say a fiber optic sight? My dad has a bolt action 12 gauge that was his first shotgun, it was all that he could afford when he got married. I would deffinately be following in his footsteps with the Maverick, seeing how I got married 3 weeks ago .

All chime in are appreciated, thanks!!
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

I own the Mossberg Maverick 88 with the 18 1/2 inch barrel and had no problems with it. Good quality shotgun for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by gumaro View Post
    I own the Mossberg Maverick 88 with the 18 1/2 inch barrel and had no problems with it. Good quality shotgun for the price.
    I have this one as well. Seems to be a good shotgun. Only problem I had with it was after a full tube of shooting the empty cartridge would stay lodged in the barrel. I cleaned it with a green pad and no problems since.

Administrator
    I like it will last you long enough until you can afford something better. With a name like claybreaker, I would have thought you already had a shotgun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    The Maverick is a fine entry level shotgun that will last a long time if you do your part and maintain it. It is similar to the 500 series but with some economical changes. Some of the parts are now made in Mexico but that doesn't seem to have effected their reliability.

One thing to keep in mind, I believe the Maverick has only one slide action bar, be careful to not twist the action when pumping a round. Practice a firm grip and pulling the action straight back.

Good luck.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Brady is right. The action bar is a single and it is attached to the pump action. This means that you can't change out the forward grip unless your purchase a dual action bar that would work for the Mossberg 500 series.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I like it will last you long enough until you can afford something better. With a name like claybreaker, I would have thought you already had a shotgun.
    Let's just say that my father has some wonderful shotguns lol. But its time for me to have my own. I have a 28ga Remington 870. Its a great gun, but it is time to step it up a bit
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    I have a 28ga Remington 870. Its a great gun, but it is time to step it up a bit
    Seems to me that you have a perfect gun for clays etc, a maverick isnt exactly a step up. I'd save my money.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    One thing to keep in mind, I believe the Maverick has only one slide action bar, be careful to not twist the action when pumping a round. Practice a firm grip and pulling the action straight back.

Good luck.
    Are you talking about the prongs that come out of the fore grip into the actions that causes the action to cycle? cause I have a maverick 88 and mine has one on both sides of the fore grip..

also the front beads are replaceable, i replaced mine. most parts are interchangable with the 500, and it even comes with an accu chocke system.

I baught an 18.5 in 500 bbl, and a m4 style stock for mine, and I keep it for HD.

but I agree with you, it would need a new sight system on it for good trap shooting. you can change out the beads with anything that fits the 500!

James
    Active Duty Air Force
    NRA Life Member
    CCW

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    My Maverick 88 also has two action bars, although I hear some of the older ones have singles, but all new Mavericks are supposed to have two action bars now.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    My Maverick 88 also has two action bars, although I hear some of the older ones have singles, but all new Mavericks are supposed to have two action bars now.
    That may have changed.
    I also have an old Mossy 500 that only has one action bar, pre '68 (no serial #). Don't know when they changed the 500 either.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Administrator
    I have a 500 with dual bars, I bought it in 95 or 96.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have the Wally Maverick also.

I've added the 18.5" barrel, sidesaddle and Specops recoil stock for HD.
    With the Specops stock the Maverick is a better choice for some than the 500.
    The 500's tang safety is hard to operate compared to the Mavericks crossbolt design.

You can also purchase a .50 cal muzzle loading barrel sold for the Mossberg 500, but will work on the 88.

That 'cheap' shotgun will more than do the job. We called them 'farmer's guns' - you can abuse, neglect, and ignore them, leave them in the chicken coop or in the back of your pickup, and they still work, sort of the AK-47 of shotguns. They also pattern as well as the high dollar guns and you can get choke tubes from skeet through extra-full/turkey for just a few bucks. Go for it!!!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links