1911 clone question

1911 clone question

This is a discussion on 1911 clone question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone know if the AMT hardballer is still being manufactured? I recently purchased one (NIB, SS, .45cal long slide) $300.00 and change. Fit and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1911 clone question

Does anyone know if the AMT hardballer is still being manufactured?
    I recently purchased one (NIB, SS, .45cal long slide) $300.00 and change. Fit and finish are quite good and shoots like a dream less muzzle flip than 5" 1911, maybe the extra 2+" makes the difference. Anyway the seller told me that the State of CA had filed a law suite some years ago to stop the company from selling or producing weapons. Thus the question. By chance does anyone have a AMT? It would take some doing to CC this thing, or maybe just hard to draw.
    Slider

Well im not sure if its still being made but I know there are companies out there still selling parts and accsessories for them. Actually i was just looking at CC holsters for them.
    "That one was rubber, The next one is live"

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I thought that the Hardballer LS was 6".

I have a friend that has the Javelina and it's 7". He loves it.
    I don't understand why more manufacturers don't offer a (at least) 6",1911. The 7" would be great also.-------

Im gonna move this to general gun forum not a feedback post

But as far as i remember AMT was liquidated years ago

Thanks Bud!
    Sorry I Posted wrong

Administrator
    Vertical Shoulder Holster & You Could Easily Carry It.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have had 4 AMT's and had problems with them all not feeding hollow points.I'm glad you got a good one.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Well first of all I'm not unfamilar with the AMT Hardballer. Unless they made another variant, which I won't rule out, the slide lengths were for both 5" and 7" barrels. For the most part they were kind of a stainless steeel Gold Cup clone.

I curently own one 5" barrel model that I stupidly traded off then was very lucky to recover.

During my first period of ownership I never had a serious problem with the pistol that could not be fixed by me. Polishing the feed ramp on the frame and the throat of the chamber on the original barrel took away all feeding problems. I also fitting a tighter barreel bushing.
    The other changes I made back then were going to a commander type hammer and replacing the sear with Wilson parts for a trigger job. Followed by a slightly exteded mag release, full length recoil spring guide, adding a Pachmyer semi-arched mainspring housing and slightly reducing the width of the thumb safety.
    Most of those changes were for feel and carry on m part rather than to help basic function.

Okay jump about 10 years forward to the here and now. I run across the gun in a pawn shop by pure accident and buy it back.
    Some real Goober had it and damaged the recoil spring plug and the barrel bushing but they still were functional.
    Said Goober also changed out the extractor for some reason with a sloppy fitting one. That was yanked out and a Wilson "Bullet Proof" one fit right in and works great with no tweaking needed.
    Later due to concerns over the construction of the original barrel and what might have been run through it by "Goober" I installed a Wilson barrel and full length recoil spring guide rod. The Pachmyer mainspring housing was also replaced by a Wilson flat/checkered one as the former was showing a bit of wear. I then did a minor melt and dehorn job follwed by a beadblast finish and then put on a set of Falcon Ind. grips.

My point is yep the QC on these can be spotty but if you find one that follows close to the Colt type specs hang on to it.

Here's a couple of before and after shots so to speak:
    Attached Images

Administrator

Concerning Feeding Hollow Point Ammo

There should be no physical or structural reason why the Hardballer cannot be tuned to feed hollow point ammo...as with all Colt 1911 pattern type pistols that sometimes will not reliably feed much but Ball ammo.

Lead Moderator
    IIRC, AMT went out of business in the 80's. Nice looking gun, BigEd.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

OD*
    Ed,

Wasn't the 7" called the Javelina?

Rocky,

I believe Arcadia Machine & Tool was still in business up and into the late 90s. They and 27 other defendants were named in a lawsuit brought by the City of Newark NJ in 1999.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Ed,

Rocky,

I believe Arcadia Machine & Tool was still in business up and into the late 90s. They and 27 other defendants were named in a lawsuit brought by the City of Newark NJ in 1999.
    OD what was the out come of the lawsuit? also I read CA was involved namely Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Ed,

Rocky,
    At a later mfg. date I wouldn't rule that out. There was also a roughly Commander sized model that has been called the Skipper and Combat Skipper as I recall being built before the company closed doors. Also names associated with their products are AMT, IAI(Irwindale not Isreal) and Galena, IIRC.

Administrator

Btw

The AMT long Slides still "pop up" every once in a while for sale on the web.
    AMT must have quit production while still having a lot of fully machined slides remaining.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    My friends Javelina is 10mm. I believe that is the only cal. ever offered in the Javelina name.

IIRC wasn't it AMT that came out with with a few weapons in the 9mm Mag. that only lasted a short while ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links