How often you shoot.....

This is a discussion on How often you shoot..... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Friends I will admit I don't shoot nearly enough as I should. Specifically, the last time I shot was maybe 5 months ago, and I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often you shoot.....

How often you shoot.....

Friends I will admit I don't shoot nearly enough as I should. Specifically, the last time I shot was maybe 5 months ago, and I took a friend who had never shot. However, I do dry fire some times and ensure the gun is empty, empty and manipulate my 1911.

Thus, how many people dry fire and what is your frequency of overall range practice ? And now that my son is due to be born in June, man who know's when I will get out to the range. I guess my problem is that the closest range is 1 hour away.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I'll admit that Saturday was my first time back on the range in about three months. Things have been so hectic I just couldn't make time. I do draw and dry fire every couple of weeks.

I've made a commitment to get back to the range at least once or twice a month.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I go to the range once a week (ok, I did miss 2 weeks so far this year) but I'm a newbie with handguns having just started this year so I have an excuse.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Wish it could be more often. However we do have a new range about to open about 5 miles from my house. So I will be able to go a lot more when it is finished.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Assistant Administrator
    Winter is never good for regular range practice but now warmer i should get back to more regular visits.

I like to go weekly at least and have no excuse re distance as one range (basic) is 8 miles and another only 5 - plus a longer haul to one other for IDPA.

Dry fire type drills are pretty regular in the office - probably sometime most days.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I try to get some shooting in every other week, at least. There's an indoor range 10 minutes from the house, but I prefer to shoot outdoors if the weather allows. It's a 45 minute drive, but I don't care for the target and rate of fire restrictions that the indoor range requires. Don't get me wrong, it's their range, and I'll obey their rules when shooting there... but I enjoy shooting at steel spinner targets, golf balls, potatoes, ritz crackers, etc. much more than shooting at paper targets. They'd frown on that at the indoor range :)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

We have an outdoor range about 30 minutes from the house....luckily.
    I get to shoot twice a week.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I go once a week if I can. But, the public range in the wildlife management area I go to is closed due to a Spring turkey season.

That makes it harder as it's either as a guest at one gunclub or up a logging type road to a private range on a friend's property.

But once May 5th rolls around it's back to weekly shooting.

Several months ago I tried a little shooting in the Barn, when the snow was knee high the cows didn't like it took me 2hrs to round them up after they went through the door W/O opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Slider
    Several months ago I tried a little shooting in the Barn, when the snow was knee high the cows didn't like it took me 2hrs to round them up after they went through the door W/O opening.
    I would let'em run. Must be nice to be able to shoot on your property. I would shoot all the time if possible.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

OD*
    Normally, every Friday.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

I'm lucky enough to live a few blocks from a nice indoor range, so I go once a week or more. I usually fire 50-100 rounds of .45 and a few hundred rounds of .22, plus whatever else I feel like bringing along. Once I get a press set up those round counts are going to go through the roof (I can't wait!).
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    About once a week.

I can shoot on our property, Dad's property, friends property, etc. So pretty much at least once a week - usually more. Dry fire/draw practice is usually every night - or at least every other night. Even if it is just 3-5 times. Dry fire practice at the TV is fun.

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    like to dry fire at the tv to funny who you find your self clicking away at lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links