You have a what! - Page 2

You have a what!

This is a discussion on You have a what! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by BlueLion Moreover, I don't know if you have ever seen some one trained let alone untrained cut loose with one of these, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You have a what!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion
    Moreover, I don't know if you have ever seen some one trained let alone untrained cut loose with one of these, it is nasty. So, I figure worst case scenario is you let loose when a BG comes in the house and the things sends rounds across the street. In contrast, my friend lives in an apartment and he is a novice.
    Most AK's in the US are semi-automatic - so probably not the same as the full-auto variant that you have encountered in the military. But as with any rifle - impressive nonetheless.

Second, in an apartment, an AR loaded with hollow points or varmint rounds is less dangerous than a pistol. In fact, a handgun - especially a .45 - is very dangerous in an apartment.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Holster your weapon soldier...I frankly don't care what you have or want to have as a defense weapon because I am pro-gun. Secondly, I choose not to have one, and yes, I don't see why a civilian needs one, but I am not against it. I don't see why people buy 400,000 dollar cars but I am not against them. Get my drift. So, buy what you want you won't get an argument here.

Moreover, I don't know if you have ever seen some one trained let alone untrained cut loose with one of these, it is nasty. So, I figure worst case scenario is you let loose when a BG comes in the house and the things sends rounds across the street. In contrast, my friend lives in an apartment and he is a novice.
    I happen to live in a home so I don't have to worry about shooting my neighbor. In fact my AK isn't loaded. I don't want to wear out the magazine springs.

As far as "letting loose", I am not from the pray and spray tactical school. I believe in controlled, aimed fire.

The AK is not my first or second or third choice when it comes to home defense. That role goes to my 870 stroked with OO buck. Followed by a Glock 21 and then a S & W Model 65 in .357mag.

If your friend is a novice then perhaps you should school him in firearm safety and take him to the range. If you aren't comfortable with that, then point him in the right direction. I'm sure that a NRA certified instructor would "coach" him up.

As far as holstering my flamethrower......I never pulled it. I said that I respectfully disagree with you which I do.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    and yes, I don't see why a civilian needs one
    Some reasons, not all by any means.

Democide: The murder of any person or people by a government, including genocide, politicide, and mass murder.
    61,911,000 Murdered: The Soviet Gulag State
    35,236,000 Murdered: The Communist Chinese Ant Hill
    20,946,000 Murdered: The Nazi Genocide State
    10,214,000 Murdered: The Depraved Nationalist Regime
    5,964,000 Murdered: Japan's Savage Military
    2,035,000 Murdered: The Khmer Rouge Hell State
    1,883,000 Murdered: Turkey's Genocidal Purges
    800,000 Murdered: The Rwanda Killings
    1,670,000 Murdered: The Vietnamese War State
    1,585,000 Murdered: Poland's Ethnic Cleansing
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Lead Moderator
    Gotta agree with most here. AK's and AR's are not illegal to own. Semi autos abound, and AK or AR's in trained hands make exellent defensive weapons.
    If you don't want 1 , thats fine, but don't dismiss em as not needed for others. I want the best chance to defend myself and family in any situation.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I know we have all seen this on a bumper sticker at one time.

"An unarmed man is a subject. An armed man is a citizen."

The day may come that we as Americans may have to fight against Tyranny. We are like our forefathers in the sense that we are the modern day "Minutemen". The armed poplulace is the militia that is mentioned in the 2nd Amendment.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Today at work had a friend comes up to me and says that he has a AK-47 that his cousin sold him...I freaked,,first I know he does not have a permit for it...this is not the first pistol he has gotten from him.

Then he lets a l co-worker tell him he's ok since it's probably a semi-auto anyway. I tell ya stupid stuff like this by guys that don't know the legal stuff drives me crazy...
    This is not a flame. I do have some questions. Why do you refer to this AK-47 as a pistol? Why do you think/know it requires a permit? I think it may depend on your state. In Virginia, long guns, including semi-auto rifles like the AK-47, are completely legal to own and require no permit. As related, your other co-worker's statements sound reasonable. What legal stuff is it to which you refer?
    ...The last time I fired a anything beyond a hand gun I was in the service, and I don't see the real need for a semi AK clone or anything similar to that in the civilian. This is not to say that people should not havethem, I just don't desire them. Moreover, it is rumored that the guys cousin is into pharmaceuticals..Ya know.
    This explanation, while enlightening, does not explain why you directed your co-worker to return a rifle he purchased for himself, a rifle for which you have no need or desire. Why should the fact that you see no need and have no desire for one govern his ownership? We are clearly of different opinions. I, and many others, do see a role for the AK's and AR's in the suburban/urban self-defense arsenal. I am curious about your perspective and would like to know more.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Gotta agree with most here. AK's and AR's are not illegal to own. Semi autos abound, and AK or AR's in trained hands make exellent defensive weapons.
    If you don't want 1 , thats fine, but don't dismiss em as not needed for others. I want the best chance to defend myself and family in any situation.
    I coudnt have said it better myself. I have both an ak and an ar, beside household protection they are fun as hell to go out to a range and shoot. The ammo is fairly cheap and there are hundreds of after-markets for these guns.
    "That one was rubber, The next one is live"

OD*
    If it's a semi-automatic, it is not an AK-47, just like the current AR15s are not M16s.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    My fellow man is neither particularly civil or moral, and may, on occassion, need reminding of the limits of his more libertine inclinations.......
    I like that! I may borrow that from time to time if you don't mind.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by kenpotex
    I like that! I may borrow that from time to time if you don't mind.
    Thanks! By all means....

I will grant that I agree with BL, in that some "children" should not be allowed to have certain "toys"......but, that is where the issue of personal responsibility comes in. If we remove that responsibility, as a society, then only the "Professionals" will have any arms, as by definition, they are the only ones trained to use them. Not something I care to have. I have certainly seen my fair share of 'tards, "drinkin' beer, 'n playin' wi' my gun......", or scenarios of equally limited capacity, though not necessarily requiring an artificial agent to incapacitate the individuals in question....

Get the kid to the range, and teach him how to use his carbine! Unless this is one of those Krink pistols, in which case, get him to trade it out for a good, stocked, AK/SKS.

I have seen the use and application of both legal and illegal FA. With a cyclic rate of 600-900 rpm, it is not difficult to deliver triples and quads, COM. Not bad and better than a SG, if you are concerned with having BG left at the end of your magazine. In the rates of the illegally altered SA weapon, your odds, on the recieving end, aren't exactly terrible, as long as you have some distance and movement. Monkeying around with slip-sears, light springs, and the like, has caused a fatal stoppage for more than one banger, and on occassion, spectacular OOBs ("Oooohh! mama, Ah cain't see!")

Tom 357, first off in my haste to type yes, yes, it seems that I refered to the rife as a pistol. Good job really reading my post. Secondly, it is my opinion just that and if you like AR's and the sort that is cool no problem here. However, what I won't do is get into mindless debate over your opinion versus mine because opinions are like --- everyone has one.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

VIP Member
    I used to work as a P/T rangemaster in NJ....so I've seen my fair share of unusual first choices in weapons by the untrained/unitiated to include .44 and .357 caliber Desert Eagles....so hearing about a somewhat immature person purchasing and toting an AK doesn't phase me a bit.

That said, as an LEO and military officer...I can care less if a good guy civilian owns a semi-automatic rifle....I for one don't fear the citizenry with such weapons for a simple reason...I'm a citizen of this country too and my current occupations do not make me better than someone who is not or never was neither a badge or dogtag wearer...I just get to do lots of fun stuff...and some of it with guns.....what I do fear is a criminal carrying any kind of weapon up to and including a Red Ryder BB gun or sharpened stick....and if Mr. (new) AK shooter decides to use that in defense of his life, limb and home...power to him.

However, given his possible dubious source for purchasing the gun, maybe have a LEO friend run the S/N of the AK? Also have him train with it....properly....no "hey watch this" as he does his best impression of a Liberian gunman.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

...However, what I won't do is get into mindless debate over your opinion versus mine because opinions are like --- everyone has one.
    Ah, I wondered if, perhaps, it was something like the RRA LAR-15 pistol, only in an AK design. I don't generally engage in mindless debate, nor do I consider your opinion mindless. I was interested in your perspective on why you see no need for a semi-auto version of those designs for the civilian population. Mostly because your opinion is different from mine, and therefore worth considering.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links