You have a what!

You have a what!

This is a discussion on You have a what! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today at work had a friend comes up to me and says that he has a AK-47 that his cousin sold him. This guy is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You have a what!

Today at work had a friend comes up to me and says that he has a AK-47 that his cousin sold him. This guy is really new to pistols and I just took him shooting a few months ago. But, he has yet to take a CCW class although he has a pistol. Well, today at the printer he was so happy to tell me that he had something he wanted me to see, and when he said it was a AK-47. I freaked,,first I know he does not have a permit for it, and second who know's what kind of friend this cousin is since this is not the first pistol he has gotten from him.

Then he lets a l co-worker tell him he's ok since it's probably a semi-auto anyway. I tell ya stupid stuff like this by guys that don't know the legal stuff drives me crazy. I told him to run and give the thing back, but have him come and get it. Could you imagine getting stopped with a concealed AK and you only have a basic permit. Moreover, what if someone tried to break into his apartment and he used the thing. Oh, yeah he has ammo and thought it was cool to tell me how it sounded when he "jacked" it back. Playing with it.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

First off how are you getting the impression that an AK is a full auto? There are hundreds of thousands of Semi's out there, and what state are you in where you need a permit to buy a Semi-Riffle, a pistol grip dose not make it a hand gun. Need more details to really be judgmental here.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I have a Norinco MAK-90, one of the many legal semi-auto AK clones. Unless it has a three position switch/safety then it is legal from the mode of fire standpoint unless you live in a state or city that has banned semi-auto "assault rifles."
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Assistant Administrator
    Blue - if he is 18+ and has a common everyday AK clone - he is legal and does not need any ''permit'' as such, assuming he is not in NJ etc!!!

If he were to try and carry it around loaded and concealed then for sure a big no-no there, plus it sounds like he is still at the stage where showing off stuff and a bit of macho is in evidence. If also the purchase was ftf in state then I doubt he has broken any laws.

Does sound tho a bit as if he needs some useful instruction on firearms handling and getting some lessons on good shooting practice etc.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I appreciate your straight forwardness 95, as always good response. Now on to the others. The last time I fired a anything beyond a hand gun I was in the service, and I don't see the real need for a semi AK clone or anything similar to that in the civilian. This is not to say that people should not havethem, I just don't desire them. Moreover, it is rumored that the guys cousin is into pharmaceuticals..Ya know.

Assistant Administrator
    One problem with AK's AR's etc is - on the one hand by virtue of 2A - they are as much legally accessible and acceptable as any other gun. They are all part of our right to keep and bear arms.

On the other - I would admit that they are not always the best things for the inexperienced or those who wish to clown around pretending to be macho saviors of the world!

Sadly as we well know, the ''assault'' term is too readily bandied around by our detractors and I for one do not like bad press being engendered by foolhardy use of these guns.

Looking at sensible possession and use however there need be no problem and I do not like to segregate weapon categories by ''need'' quotients regarding mil and civilian. As far as 2A is concerned, a gun is a gun is a gun - but we all have a responsibility to do our best to promote the whole slew of firearms in the best way we can.

An AK being ''shown off'' carelessly to satisfy a (usually) young person's response to peer pressure is not something I am fond of seeing I admit.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    An AK being ''shown off'' carelessly to satisfy a (usually) young person's response to peer pressure is not something I am fond of seeing I admit.
    I hear you on that. It's an unfortunate part of the "growing up" process for most of us, but it's still never fun to see. I get to see too much of it working behind a gun counter. "Whoa, is that a machine gun!?" is something I end up hearing on a daily basis whenever customers notice the AR's and tactical shotguns, and after a while it really starts to tick me off. It's not so bad coming from a ten year old, but when the speaker is older than me (22) it's just sad. But, on the other hand, for many who are new to the gun world that's just a natural reaction of enthusiasm for something new and exciting. A lot of times that enthusiasm can be tempered with good instruction and a new, responsible 'gunny' is born. It's a little tough for someone who grew up around guns to realize how differently someone who's led a more sheltered life perceives them at first.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Well, one reason to have both AK and AR clones is familiarization. At LFI-3, we had a discussion with a lady who had been to an anti-terrorism class. One of the "points to remember" was to "trade up" if possible. Now if you find yourself facing a terrorist and get lucky and drop him with your carry gun, and decide to take his AK, it might be useful to know where the controls are. Same applies to an AR. Of course, one would also be well served to go somewhere that you can rent a full auto version of each, just to know what that's like.
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion
    I appreciate your straight forwardness 95, as always good response. Now on to the others. The last time I fired a anything beyond a hand gun I was in the service, and I don't see the real need for a semi AK clone or anything similar to that in the civilian. This is not to say that people should not havethem, I just don't desire them. Moreover, it is rumored that the guys cousin is into pharmaceuticals..Ya know.
    I'm going to be civil here.

Not if, but when the SHTF, I desire to have a firearm capable of defending my family. Sorry but the .45 ain't going to cut it. There is a real need for this type of rifle.

You are making the assumption since I am a civilian I shouldn't have the right to own one......I resent that. Heck, I believe that I should be able to own a select fire version if I wanted to because I am a law abiding citizen.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

While immature, it doesn't sound like your friend has done anything wrong. Unless there are other details you haven't divulged.

Every american citizen should strive to become a rifleman. It is our tradition, our right, and our obligation.

I'm going to plagiarize this - and I'm sure I'm going to do it incorrectly:

"You need a shotgun (or pistol) to defend your life. You need a rifle to defend your liberty."

1943 - 2009
    Heck, I believe that I should be able to own a select fire version if I wanted to because I am a law abiding citizen.
    I agree with that. Personally, I have no desire to own a full-auto firearm, but if you want to own one, that's fine with me.

To each his own, as they say.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    While immature, it doesn't sound like your friend has done anything wrong. Unless there are other details you haven't divulged.

Every american citizen should strive to become a rifleman. It is our tradition, our right, and our obligation.

I'm going to plagiarize this - and I'm sure I'm going to do it incorrectly:

"You need a shotgun (or pistol) to defend your life. You need a rifle to defend your liberty."
    Perhaps I may have been a little to harsh but the quote "I don't see a need for a civilian to own an AK clone" struck a little to close to my nerves.

Mr. BlueLion you are more than welcome to your opinion, I just respectfully disagree.

I'll toss $.02 more into the game. The "need" is a purely subjective affair, but the fact that many "do" is the only reason we don't work for the Mexican laborers' rate of $1.25/day. With a pistol, you can repel violent personal assault. With a shotgun you can repel numerous individuals bearing malevolent intentions. With a rifle, you own the land you survey.

Always be aware: you are "Free", therefore, the "need" is actually a mandate. When the North American Community becomes reality, do you really believe that the standards of personal property and defense will be elevated to those of the US; or are they more likely to be standardized to the lowest common denominator: Mexico? (Canada is essentially a non-entity, being only slightly less "civilized"-neutered- than the French).

Both the AK and AR platforms are light-rifles, well-suited to mid-range conflict, and appropriate to the landowner holding an acre or less, and really should be (one, another, or both)part and parcel of any responsible American citizen's emergency kit. My fellow man is neither particularly civil or moral, and may, on occassion, need reminding of the limits of his more libertine inclinations.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    Both the AK and AR platforms are light-rifles, well-suited to mid-range conflict, and appropriate to the landowner holding an acre or less, and really should be (one, another, or both)part and parcel of any responsible American citizen's emergency kit. My fellow man is neither particularly civil or moral, and may, on occassion, need reminding of the limits of his more libertine inclinations.......
    Thanks Rob, you just reminded me of why I need to bet that new M1A!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    Perhaps I may have been a little to harsh but the quote "I don't see a need for a civilian to own an AK clone" struck a little to close to my nerves.

Mr. BlueLion you are more than welcome to your opinion, I just respectfully disagree.
    Holster your weapon soldier...I frankly don't care what you have or want to have as a defense weapon because I am pro-gun. Secondly, I choose not to have one, and yes, I don't see why a civilian needs one, but I am not against it. I don't see why people buy 400,000 dollar cars but I am not against them. Get my drift. So, buy what you want you won't get an argument here.

Moreover, I don't know if you have ever seen some one trained let alone untrained cut loose with one of these, it is nasty. So, I figure worst case scenario is you let loose when a BG comes in the house and the things sends rounds across the street. In contrast, my friend lives in an apartment and he is a novice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links