Novel Idea

This is a discussion on Novel Idea within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The gun store that I go to has a new selling technique. When you buy a NIB firearm (long or hand) you either get a ...

Thread: Novel Idea

Novel Idea

The gun store that I go to has a new selling technique. When you buy a NIB firearm (long or hand) you either get a free box of ammo or an Uncle Mike's holster with it (if they make a holster for the make/model).

Now, I know that they aren't giving out top of the line holsters and the ammo is the cheapest to get but I thought it was a great idea.

I jokingly asked if I bought a .50 rifle or the .500 S&W if the offer still stands and they said Yes, if you buy it NIB.

I wished more gun stores would give out "freebies" when you buy something NIB. It just makes the buyer feel more loved and will come back again and again.

Oh, and if you buy a SMG/MG, you get a free magazine loaded (well, not right then but enough to load it) with the ammo type of that SMG/MG. Some of those mags for some of the older SMG's can get expensive but they will honor those also.

What do you think of these type of incentives. Hell, when I was in Valdosta GA, there was just one shop (Valdosta Pawn I think it was called) that had me as a loyal customer when one day the owner threw me a free T-Shirt (Browning) and then each time they were left with T's from the companies or they made their own, I got em for free.

For over two years all I wore were logo'd T's of one gun company or another

Wayne

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    ''Incentive'' sales certainly can be useful - as they provide some ''bait'' and in fact probably cost the store less than raw discounts.

OTOH a store that also will ''deal'' even a bit is also worthwhile, as long as they are fair with pricing and don't mark stuff up high only to be able to mark it down! Plus too another incentive can be a store where personel are both helpful and courteous, and - know about what they are selling!!! Oh and, after-sales service too - another incentive I'd say.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I agree-

There's one place fairly close to me that's a small shop. The owner's a great guy, knows what he's talking about, and has no problem telling you what he thinks. I like it and have bought several times from him. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've bought anywhere else in the past couple of years.

Well worth the extra drive for a talk with Dave.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I have 2 shops like that near me. 1 gives you a box of shells no matter what you buy, however they are expensive on most things when you buy from them they have all of their military and LEO knowlage to help yuo with any problems you may get. and 2 just gives you the rock bottom price on everything such as $450 for my new XD 45 but they just sell the guns with very little knowlage of them.
    "That one was rubber, The next one is live"

I think one of the lessons is that everyone likes to be treated special as a customer or client, and that extra effort, attention, and the little gifts of gratitude do make an impression!

Assistant Administrator
    That Richard is a major aspect - indeed, it helps enormously to be treated as a valued customer and not dismissed as a PITA who is taking their valuable time.

I never go back to the few that have given the latter impression!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well, I sell guns part time, and I wish like hell I could do just that. People love to feel like they're getting a deal, and 'free' ammo goes a long way towards that. Unfortunately management won't go along with it. Maybe I should send them a copy of your post to beat the idea into their thick skulls!
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I don't know - not for me. Nothing is free - and I would rather the gun cost less and let me buy (or load) my own ammo. I don't need or want a cheap holster that will sit in my drawer until I can pawn it off on a friend.

I say - take the $15 that the holster cost - and the $10 the ammo cost - and mark down the gun by $25.

But then - I'm not a touchy feely guy. Although hugs from the gun shop owner would be nice.

Where I usually buy my handguns, they give a one day free pass at their indoor range, good for anytime three months from date of purchase. Range time is $12 an hour ($10 if you buy their ammo), so I go there in the morning and shoot for at least three or four hours. And it doesn't matter what you shoot, it's good for all day or one hour. I think it's a nice gesture.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    One of the local gun stores here gave me a holiday discount of $20.00 on one of my purchases. Not a big deal, but it was a nice gesture at Christmas and I appreciated it.

Links