Need Help Deciding On Deer Rifle

This is a discussion on Need Help Deciding On Deer Rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I didn't realize that there were so many 30-30 fans... Mine is actually the stainles steel model...Marlin 336SS...a great gun....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Deciding On Deer Rifle

I didn't realize that there were so many 30-30 fans...
    Mine is actually the stainles steel model...Marlin 336SS...a great gun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I didn't realize that there were so many 30-30 fans...
    Mine is actually the stainles steel model...Marlin 336SS...a great gun.
    That SS one is real nice. I'd love one of those myself.

I've got both classics: Winchester 94 .30-30 & Model 70 in .30-06.

BTW, my '06 was bought in 1956.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Administrator
    Depends on where you are hunting. If its over open farm fields, I'd buy a 30-06 bolt gun, more than likely that would be a 700. The Weatherby Vanguard series is also an excellent value.
    If I was to hunt woods or hills, the Marlin 336 would be my choice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    +1 for savage 110 models! I have the .270 model 110 and I couldn't be happier.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Sounds like you are looking for a Savage brand gun, check them out.

Z
    +1 on a Savage. They aren't the prettiest but they shoot well and are rugged. All for a good price. If you can get the nylon stock, all the better. If I only had one caliber, I'd look hard at the 30.06. It has factory loads for just about anything you'd want to hunt.
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    30.06 and 270 are good and with a barrel change you could shoot one or the other. the bolt and mag are the same dimension in the 110
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    for under 100 yards, whether open field, brush or woods... the Marlin 336, fixed low power scope on see through rings. There's NO equal!

VIP Member
    I love how everyone hypes the 30-30. The reality is that it's just OK for hunting. It's not the be all end of cartridge design or the pinacle of performance. The reality of hunting is that nearly any rifle can kill a deer inside of 100 yards. There is nothing special at all about that. Why limit yourself to 100 or 150 yards? Get a bolt gun or even a Remington 7600 pump (IMO faster than a lever) rifle in 30-06 (or .308/ 270) and you can hunt deer inside of 100 yards or deer at 300+ yards.

A rifle for hunting (or for SHTF counter sniping duty) doesn't need to be fast. It needs to be accurate. It needs to be able to reach out and touch someone. A 30-30 would make a nice short range defensive carbine, of this I have no doubt. I just think a good shotgun fills the same role for SD better and a good bolt gun (or pump) is more flexible afield.

The exception to this would be a lever action (if you must have a lever action) rifle chambered in something better like 300 savage or .307 or .308 win.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

in brush country, 30-30 rounds aren't deflected by tiny twigs the same as many other rifle rounds, and sometimes, in the brush, you ain't getting but one shot

ntg
    I'd not limit myself to a 30-30...but I'm out west and haven't killed a deer under 150yrd much...and a 30-30 doesn't have as much power...i.e. underpowered a 100+yards for mulies. Interesting how things are so different based on location. I'd still get a good .270 or 30'06 and then have the option of shooting out to 300 if needs be...and as grandpa use to say "wouldn't be afraid of nobody!".

You've had some good recommendations. If I were looking I'd look at 1)howa/vanguards 2) T/C ventures 3) remington 700 4) savage...probably in that order, but alll are good guns 4 the $$$ IMO.

well, if you want to stretch the distance out, the Ruger Mauser action rifles will also get the job done

surv

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    in brush country, 30-30 rounds aren't deflected by tiny twigs the same as many other rifle rounds, and sometimes, in the brush, you ain't getting but one shot
    Pure balderdash! What is different about a .308 cal 170 grain bullet that makes it immune to the laws of physics? All bullets deflect off of brush.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Back when I hunted I was partial to my Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. Upstate NY area where most shots would be in the 100 yard or less zone due to geography.

bosco

The 30-30 is an excellent deer caliber for short to medium ranges, and black bear's are also taken with this round, not to mention Hornady's LeverEvolution ammunition has increased the range and effectiveness at range of this classic. Don't let the nay sayers push you away from a accurate, dependable, effective, brush or field, deer gun.

Professional Gun Writer and tester Chuck Hawks wrote an article on "The Idea Deer Cartridge" naming four cartridges, the 30-30, 300 Savage, 308 Marlin Express, and the 32 Winchester Special. And pretty much any store that sells ammo will have 30-30 if your in a pinch, and cheaper than most any other caliber too.

I own a Marlin 336, and I love it.

That said, though, I think the 270Win is probably as good a Deer round as can be found, and many shooters consider the 270 to be one of the greatest all around cartridges there is.

I agree dead is dead, and a deer generally won't know the difference between a well placed 243Win or 300Win Mag shot. My cousin kills 1-2 deer every season and has since he retired from the Army about 15 years ago, and he has used a Ruger chambered in 243Win for every one of them.

A 243Win, 25-06, 257 Roberts, 270Win, 7mm-08, 7mm Rem Mag,308, 30-06, 300Win Mag and any and all between will make a good Deer rifle, including the 30-30!!

A Marlin 30-30 is a good gun to start with, accurate, reasonably priced, low recoil, cheap ammo, and resale value is constant if you decide you don't like deer hunting, or like it and want to upgrade either one.

Marlin also makes a bolt action now, I think it is the XL7. It can be purchased for around $350 in 270Win, 30-06, 25-06, and 308. I have read and heard good things about it, it has an adjustable trigger similar to the Savage's, which is considered one of the best triggers out there. I've not shot it, but held one and felt the trigger pull-outstanding!! A $350 NIB Bolt action Marlin in 270Win(or any of the other calibers made for it)-You can't really gowrong with that.

However, for bolt actions, I am personally a Remington Model 700 or Model 7 man myself.

I actually spent this morning and evening in a ladder stand deer hunting myself, I let a little 4 point wishbone rack buck walk this morning, didn't see anything this evening though. Better luck tomorrow I hope.......
    Oh yeah, today I hunted with a Remington Model 700 Real Tree Camo BuckMaster SPS in 7mm Rem Mag with a Nikon Real Tree Camo Buckmaster 3-9x40mm scope mounted with a one piece Real Tree Camo DNZ scope mount. I've got about $800 (got a good deal on the rifle)in this set-up, it's a good Elk gun too.

The jest of this post is, any deer caliber you can get the cheapest in a gun model you like-will work, especially the 30-30.

Good luck with your choice and Deer Hunting!!
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links