Need Help Deciding On Deer Rifle

This is a discussion on Need Help Deciding On Deer Rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I realize that we are not about hunting rifles here. However, I do know that many of you are very knowledgeable about rifles. I'm thinking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I realize that we are not about hunting rifles here. However, I do know that many of you are very knowledgeable about rifles. I'm thinking about going deer hunting with my father-in-law for the first time in my life. I want to pick up a rifle that is accurate and reliable and won't set me back a bunch in case I don't like it. I've done some digging around and I'm kind of thinking about a Remmington 700 SPS or a Ruger Hawkeye. Anybody want to offer some advice, I'd appreciate it.

I've seen quite a few rifles for sale over the past couple of weeks in our local newspaper. It's that time of year! Some bargains can be had at this time. I've seen a $300 .270 and a $400 Woodsmaster 30-06 in the past week. Both with scopes (which may not matter much, but at least it's range ready to try). Sometimes I wish I just had unlimited funds to buy, fix them up, and turn them around for a little extra. Other than the 'unwanted anymore' column......check area pawn shops especially this time of year. Never know what might be behind glass or that got dropped off an hour ago. Some folks just get in for the deer season, and get right back out. That way they don't have to worry about their gun rusting between now and next year's deer season. Savage, Remington, Ruger, etc. 25-06, .270, .308, 30-06. Looking for deals is best this time of year. You'll need to come out pretty good so you have some left to buy a box or two of ammo to go along with. Good luck and happy hunting.

Distinguished Member
    Sounds like you are looking for a Savage brand gun, check them out.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    I realize that we are not about hunting rifles here. However, I do know that many of you are very knowledgeable about rifles. I'm thinking about going deer hunting with my father-in-law for the first time in my life. I want to pick up a rifle that is accurate and reliable and won't set me back a bunch in case I don't like it. I've done some digging around and I'm kind of thinking about a Remmington 700 SPS or a Ruger Hawkeye. Anybody want to offer some advice, I'd appreciate it.
    Remington and Ruger both make solid rifles (Browning, Winchester, Howa, Savage and Tikka do too). I would suggest that you go to a store that carries both (and a few more) and decide which rifle feels better in your hands. Shoulder them all and see which rifle points better for you and then buy the one you like best. You can't go wrong with any of the main players in the bolt action market.

I like .308 and 30-06 for the chambering but that's another subject. : )
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

What kind of hunting are you talking about? Rural woods with 25-100 yard shots? Plains and open areas with 200+ yard shots?
    Do you want a SHTF gun for around the house, too?

I'd look at a Marlin 336 in 30-30...it won't kill your budget, it's a great rifle that's been around for decades, great lever action...an over the fireplace, keeper. OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    What kind of hunting are you talking about? Rural woods with 25-100 yard shots? Plains and open areas with 200+ yard shots?

I'd look at a Marlin 336 in 30-30...it won't kill your budget, it's a great rifle that's been around for decades, great lever action...an over the fireplace, keeper. OMOYMV
    I'm glad you posted. I was thinking about a post you've made earlier about getting rid of your evil black gun and getting the Marlin. I'm figuring my range would be less than 100 yards and probably rural woods based on where my father-in-law has hunted in previous years. So to answer the other question, I would like to be prepared for when the SHTF.

VIP Member

Yah, I'll second that. Personally, I won't take a shot past 100 yards, and the 30-30 is a great multi-purpose rifle and a classic 'brush gun'. You can pick one up with a beautiful walnut stock from Walmart for about $350.

Absolutely great recomendation, great gun for hunting and for SHTF. 30-30 is a great round for shots out to 200 yds, With the lever evolution ammo 300 but most deer are taken around the100 yd or less (not always out west though)

I'll add my vote for a Marlin 336. I've got one chambered in .30-30. They are far more accurate than people give them credit for. At the range, I routinely shoot it at 200 yards using iron sights. My target is 14" square, and I shoot Monarch 170 grain bullets. I'm able to keep about 70% of the shots on the paper. If you're not familiar with Monarch ammo, it is very cheap, and very inconsistent. With more consistent ammo and a scope, it'd be hunting accurate at 200 yard. With Hornady's new Leverevolution ammo, it can go out to 250-300 yards.

If you want a bit more in the way of terminal ballistics, get the 336 chambered in 308MX. Near 308 performance out of a lever action. You should be able to take clean kills at 400-500 yards, assuming you can put the shot in the right place. Finally, if you want yet more terminal ballistics, Marlin now has the 338MX. It rates between .30-06 and 338 Federal.

I personally prefer the Marlin over the Winchester design. The Marlin is a heavier rifle - meaning less perceived recoil. In addition, the action is more rugged and much simpler. Fewer parts = easier to clean, and less chance of malfunction.

The lever action was one of, if not THE first assault rifle. They aren't evil looking, but they make a good choice for SHTF situations.

Anywho. Good hunting
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Remington 700 is a solid piece. They also hold their value reasonably well. We shot a variant of it in the Army, we called it the M24. I made consistent shots on iron maidens with it out to 1000 meters.

sgb
    Another recommend for the Marlin 336.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I don't hunt deer, as while I like the meat, I prefer other game animals for sport.

With that said, you could try a 45-70 Lever Gun. It has a good reputation as a "Deer Stopper" and can be used for larger game if you ever decide to go after something bigger.

Biker

VIP Member
    My choice would be a 336 in 30-30...You could add a low power scope pretty cheap...I have 4x on mine, with the see-thru mounts, so you can still use the open sights...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I personally use a marlin 336c in .35 cal though 30/30 is probably a little more common and therefore easier to find ammo for it.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    WalMart has some excellent deals on a Marlin 336 and the Savages w/AccuTrigger. You can get either for around $400 (or under). I just got back into hunting myself after several years (25+) off and am going with a 30-30 w/Hornady Leverevolution. I'd get a Marlin 336 if I didn't already have my old Savage 170 pump 30-30 to use. If I like it and start hunting more, I'll probably upgrade to something in a 7mm-08 like a Tikka T3. The 30-30 will always be with me though because it's a great all around caliber for deer and hogs. Also, it's good for both brush and good enough for open spaces (200yds and under) with the new Hornady Leverevolution.

For scopes, check eBay. I picked up a mint Nikon Buckmaster 3x9 for a steal. Seems like a great scope for the money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links