A restricted location, restored.

This is a discussion on A restricted location, restored. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a pilot, itís my job. You can carry more places on an airport than you may think. In Tennessee, where Iím from, you ...

Thread: A restricted location, restored.

A restricted location, restored.

I am a pilot, itís my job.

You can carry more places on an airport than you may think. In Tennessee, where Iím from, you can carry anywhere outside the TSA security inspection stations on your way to board an airline flight. Except for Nashville, which has posted (mostly) against lawful carry in the terminal and also on the gates into the general aviation area.

I work as a professional pilot on a small jet and some other, smaller airplanes. This year I also became a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit holder, or HCP as they call it here, and I have jumped in with both feet into the carry lifestyle. I carry EVERYWHERE I legally can, even at home sitting in front of the television, and at church.

I guess you can imagine I get around.

I study the laws of the states I visit closely, and then state-specific forums to have a better idea of what to expect. This week I went to Wichita, Kansas. Upon arriving I was dismayed to see a great many businesses correctly posted restricting legal carry of a firearm. Many more than I see at home. This included Signature Flight Support where we (I and the guy flying with me) decided to leave the airplane for a few days.

When I got back to Signature today I legally drove armed onto their ramp to load the airplane with my baggage, then disarmed so I could go inside. This bothered me and I decided to confront so I met with the general manager.

You can imagine what went through my head on how I thought it would go. I went to the competition to compare fees and to see if they were posted to gain, you know, ammunition. Sorry, no pun intended.

I told the GM I had enjoyed his facilityís hospitality except for one thing: ďWhy are you posted against people legally carrying firearms?Ē He said they were posted because they had to be. I told him, no, that that was not true, that there was no Kansas statute that forced him to post. Besides, his competition wasnít posted.

He was quite surprised. He then patted his right hip where apparently was an empty holster and said he had a permit as well and had wished he could carry there. He said when he started two years ago the signs were already up and he just assumed that the signs were required. We wound up having a great conversation. He vowed the next time I returned the signs would be down but heck he didnít even wait that long. As my partner and I were walking out to depart he was there at the exit and showed me the razor in his hand, stating after he saw us off he was bringiní Ďem down! He even marshaled us out, which Iíve never had a GM do.

Wichita has one less place that unfairly restricts your right to carry.

2. Remove Ads

Thank you for getting another 'gunbuster sign' down in Wichita, KS! The press here and some Law enforcement agencys have been putting out false info to store owners. I have personally gotten 6 businesses to unpost. The best one was as a lady business owner (and friend) was about half done getting a 'gunbuster sign' taped in place. Again Thanks!

We need more people like you

Need more like him. Thanks for educating him.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Good job
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Interesting info. I am a pilot too, and I do carry whenever possible. However, outside the Albany International Airport (ALB), it is posted BEFORE the TSA security zone. I asked the Albany County Sheriff about this once, and he said that the airport terminal is one of the few places legal owners cannot carry, even though it's legal everywhere else.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Links