Iver Johnson Target 8 .22 Revolver

This is a discussion on Iver Johnson Target 8 .22 Revolver within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, a while back I sold my Ruger MkII Target pistol - just got tired of dealing with jams and duds caused by the cheap ...

Thread: Iver Johnson Target 8 .22 Revolver

Well, a while back I sold my Ruger MkII Target pistol - just got tired of dealing with jams and duds caused by the cheap plinking .22 ammo I like to shoot. Plus, it was a bear to take apart, clean (too many little nooks and crannies), and re-assemble.

I figured that, someday, I would get a .22 revolver for fun and target shooting - and to instruct others, and my kids as they get older. I did not, however, want to spend a small fortune on one.

As luck would have it, I stumbled on this old Iver Johnson Target 8 revolver at a local gun store. What sold me was the overall condition, and the trigger. The trigger is crisp in SA mode, and pretty good in DA too! Previously, I had looked at an old H&R revolver, but the trigger was horrible in DA mode.

This is a pull-pin design - you pull the pin out of the frame, after pulling the hammer to half-cock, to remove the cylinder for loading/unloading. The pin can also be used as an "ejector" to push the casings out of the chambers. Or, you can pull the hammer to half-cock, rotate the cylinder by hand, and use something (like a plastic coffee stirring stick) to eject spent shells via the gate on the right side of the frame. I actually like how this setup forces you to slow down and enjoy yourself!

I put about 100 rounds through it yesterday - no failures of any kind! Some of the cylinder chambers could use a better cleaning - they were a bit sticky and I had to push the cartridge in. Accuracy was very good.

Overall, probably the best $149 I've spent in a long time! While not a defensive handgun, it will allow me to do some practicing at a much lower cost, and without the headaches cheap .22 ammo can cause in pistols.

Some pics:
    Attached Images
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Can't beat a plain ole' .22 plunker...nice!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

How old is it?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    How old is it?
    Good question! I think they were made from the 1930's until the 1950's, but I'd love to be able to look the serial number up somewhere for a better idea of this particular gun's history. I did a quick online search to no avail.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Very Nice find...I really like .22 revolvers...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links