Is my grip/hand placement OK?

This is a discussion on Is my grip/hand placement OK? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can you all please critique me?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my grip/hand placement OK?

Can you all please critique me?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by jimtem; November 24th, 2009 at 01:01 PM.

VIP Member
    I would turn your weak hand so that when you open your fingers, they point down, make sure your strong hand is as high as possible on the back strap, unlock your strong side elbow, and square up to the target.

About 60% of the squeeze should be done with your weak hand, and get your finger off the trigger!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

70% - 30% (support/strong hand) is where the grip should be coming from.

Make sure those thumbs are just along for the ride, and are not "pushing down" as you'll notice the barrel will dip and your shots will be a tad bit low.

Other than that, hard to say without seeing you dry fire live.

As someone else said, index that finger. Seems your support (I hate the term 'weak') index finger overlaps your trigger finger, making it an extra step to move it to index your trigger finger so might want to take that off the trigger guard? Again, less movement = better.

I put a snap cap in there so I could wiggle the trigger a bit and make it feel as real as possible. I'll try your other recommendations but I don't understand what you are saying about pointing my weak side fingers down. Do you mean just a little more down than what they are such as they should he horizontal with the horizon?

VIP Member
    The way your hands are in the pic, hold your gun that way, open or point all fingers on your left hand. Twist your entire left hand until your fingers are pointed down, then re-grip the gun. They don't need to be pointed straight down, this is just to help with recoil management. The palms of your hands should cover the entire grip of the gun, The more gaps you have, the less recoil management you have.

Try to get your palms to match up with each other. This will also take your left index finger off the trigger guard, helping you to be able to properly index your trigger finger.
    Last edited by sigmanluke; November 24th, 2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: more
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jholen View Post
    70% - 30% (support/strong hand) is where the grip should be coming from.

Make sure those thumbs are just along for the ride, and are not "pushing down" as you'll notice the barrel will dip and your shots will be a tad bit low.

Other than that, hard to say without seeing you dry fire live.

As someone else said, index that finger. Seems your support (I hate the term 'weak') index finger overlaps your trigger finger, making it an extra step to move it to index your trigger finger so might want to take that off the trigger guard? Again, less movement = better.
    My thumbs press inward towards the barrel. Is that OK? I took my support index finger off the trigger guard and overlapped it on the strong middle finger and that does feel more natural thanks.

VIP Member
    Your thumbs should be relaxed, not pressing anywhere.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    The way your hands are in the pic, hold your gun that way, open or point all fingers on your left hand. Twist your entire left hand until your fingers are pointed down, then re-grip the gun. They don't need to be pointed straight down, this is just to help with recoil management. The palms of your hands should cover the entire grip of the gun, The more gaps you have, the less recoil management you have.

Try to get your palms to match up with each other. This will also take your left index finger off the trigger guard, helping you to be able to properly index your trigger finger.
    If I am following you correctly you are saying to have my support hand cup the bottom of the grip in a way that a hand could cup water. Is that what you are saying? Sorry if I have misunderstood.

VIP Member
    I hope these help.
    Attached Images
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jimtem View Post
    If I am following you correctly you are saying to have my support hand cup the bottom of the grip in a way that a hand could cup water. Is that what you are saying? Sorry if I have misunderstood.
    no, just lower your weak side hand so your index finger is below the trigger guard
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

gotcha, thanks I'll give that a try

Your thumbs should be relaxed, not pressing anywhere.
    This! My instructor always used to yell at me, "Your thumbs are just along for the ride!"

Took awhile for it to sink in, but once it did I could place my shots on target for more reliably than before.

Quote Originally Posted by jholen View Post
    This! My instructor always used to yell at me, "Your thumbs are just along for the ride!"

Took awhile for it to sink in, but once it did I could place my shots on target for more reliably than before.
    Thanks,,,,, I was under the impression that my thumbs here needed for support. I'm glad to know I can relax them when I shoot. I was trying to use them to help with recoil. I had a few FTE and was sure it was due to limp writings. Thats why I was sure I needed a new grip.

................. and square up to the target .................
    With the weaver stance isn't the weak foot more forward than the strong foot and then the weak shoulder more forward than the dominant shoulder?

Quote Originally Posted by jimtem View Post
    With the weaver stance isn't the weak foot more forward than the strong foot and then the weak shoulder more forward than the dominant shoulder?
    yes, I tend to go Weaver more than Isoceles, but my CC instructor recomended trying to concentrate on Isoceles. I dont know why, but Weaver just feels more natural

edit - I may be completely off on this, but when i look at someone standing Weaver, it looks like more of a Offensive stance, where Isoceles seems more Defensive... again, this is just my opinion on their appearance, i dont know the history on these stances,
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links