Give me some basic muzzle loader advice - Page 2

Give me some basic muzzle loader advice

This is a discussion on Give me some basic muzzle loader advice within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ahh OK. I get it. Thanks. Kinda like a double action if you will....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Give me some basic muzzle loader advice

Administrator
    Ahh OK. I get it. Thanks. Kinda like a double action if you will.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Remington 700.
    You're already familiar with that platform, they make an excellent ML rifle.
    If it wasnt for the cleaning rod underneath the barrel, you'd think it was a regular rifle.
    Agreed, but maybe because I have one. I am a big fan of Remington, especially the Model 7 and 700, so I got a 700ML. Same overall feel, trigger and bolt setup as any standard remington Model 700. Mine has a camo composite stock and I put a Bushnell 1.5-4.5x32mm camo shotgun scope on it with see through mounts just in case. Lightwieght, can't even see a scratch in the camo patten should it get one. I have mine zeroed in at a hundred yards.

That said, the traditional rifles are great too, but a little harder to clean IMO. AS far as range and power, an inline may get the nod, but for the distances most shots are made in Southern OH, or Central/NE KY, (assuming that will be your hunting ground) especially with a muzzleloader, either one should be fine.

You can find Remington 700MLs on GunBroker for about $200 or so if you may be interested in one.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

If you want to really have fun with muzzle loader guns, try Civil War reenacting. I have shot at a thousand riffraff rebels with my Springfield rifle, but few of them have dropped or stopped, even when it was their turn to lose.

VIP Member
    SIXTO look for a PM.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Don't forget your coonskin cap
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In the inline category, I have a Remington Genesis Stainless Steel. 209 primer, 100 gr pyrodex pellets, and 260 gr (IIRC) sabots. Just open sights right now. If I scope it, it will be a tack driver. The trigger feels as good as my Rem 700. You do have to cock the hammer first, and it has a standard cross bolt safety by the trigger. Thumbhole stock that I thought I would hate, but feels rock solid. I nearly stole it from Cabela's for $103 and change, gotta love coupons and points!

Gotta have a smokepole in the arsenal.

I too, built my Thompson from a kit. A .50 cal Hawkins. I have all the gear to go with it, the Buffalo Possible bag, a Rogers Silver capper, a hand-carved powder horn, a deer-skin gun case. It is extremely accurate, has a very flat trajectory. Deer and elk, yes. The run away from you. Wild boar, no. They have a tendency to charge you, and you only get one shot. Speedloaders are clumsy and slow.

I have a skunk-skin cap and a buckskin fringe jacket. Was a member of a the Kit Carson club, Amador County Chapter in the '80's. Absolutely the most fun I ever had with firearms.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Don't forget your coonskin cap
    Sweet, I've always wanted one. Now I have an excuse to go buy one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Don't forget about the necessity of a good gun cleaning after firing black powder.

BTW our black powder hunting criteria has changed here as I understand it. I believe that within the "black powder season" that we can also hunt with a single-shot smokeless cartridge rifle. i.e 45-70
    Of course your state laws may be different.

I've got one of those Hawken's kit guns that I built long ago. I've never hunted with it, but I would. It's a good shooter. Nothing against them but I don't care for the modern-look black powder rifles, but they'd be great for a rainy/muddy day though.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Don't forget your (FLASK) Powder that is :-)
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Administrator
    I'm poking around a few sites now; Man, I'd love to build one from a kit. That just would be the cats backside; but I'm fooling myself thinking that I will actually have time to throw one together let alone do it right.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Welcome to the disease. er hobby. Spent a lot of years with a Renegade in .54 with an aperture site. Round ball or great plains bullets worked well. As my vision changed I found I was passing on shots at very early and late because front blade was no longer visible. The thought of scoping this gun was heresy, so. New T/C Encore in 50 x 209 with a nikon buckmaster. Now best of both worlds and the versatility of centerfire and rimfire barrels. Rather than choose, get em both. also checkout E. Arthur Brown Company for tips and equipment.

Administrator
    Years ago. I built a Hawken from a kit. This exact one. It was a great little project and a fairly easy build.
    I did mine a little bit at a time over Winter.
    I sort of went the "extra mile" on mine and high polished all of the brass and really went overboard on the barrel and the wood.
    Mine is Flint but, it's also available in Cap.
    It's real nice quality. Not super antique/authentic with the adjustable rear sight but, what da heck.
    My Wife got me the kit one year for Christmas.

VIP Member
    I find myself to be a traditionalist when it comes to black powder. Give me a cap lock over an in line any day. I have several cap locks. 1 is a T/C St Louis Rifle in .50 cal, as well as in .54 cal. My favorite though is my Lymans Great Plains Rifle in .54 cal. Be advised the Lymans will not shoot a conical bullet with any type of accuracy due to the slow rate of twist 1:66. However it is a tack driver with a round ball. The T/C will shoot either round ball or conical with decent accuracy due to the faster rate of twist 1:48.

Distinguished Member
    Nice looking rifle, Archer51.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links