Give me some basic muzzle loader advice - Page 3

Give me some basic muzzle loader advice

This is a discussion on Give me some basic muzzle loader advice within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by QKShooter Years ago. I built a Hawken from a kit. This exact one. It was a great little project and a fairly ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Years ago. I built a Hawken from a kit. This exact one. It was a great little project and a fairly easy build.
    I did mine a little bit at a time over Winter.
    I sort of went the "extra mile" on mine and high polished all of the brass and really went overboard on the barrel and the wood.
    Mine is Flint but, it's also available in Cap.
    It's real nice quality. Not super antique/authentic with the adjustable rear sight but, what da heck.
    My Wife got me the kit one year for Christmas.

Great looking rifle, looks like the same kit as mine was except mine is caplock and you did a much better polish on the furniture.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Now, why would a guy spend $600 for a single-shot muzzle-loader [1861 .58 caliber Springfield] rifle, instead of buying a 15-plus-shot semi-automatic pistol?
    It don't make no sense!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Now, why would a guy spend $600 for a single-shot muzzle-loader [1861 .58 caliber Springfield] rifle, instead of buying a 15-plus-shot semi-automatic pistol?
    It don't make no sense!
    Because he can.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    It don't make no sense!
    If you have to ask I dont think I can explain it to you.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Just something to keep in mind. If you decide to go with a modern inline and put a scope on it, go with a break action. DO NOT get a bolt! I have one and trying to cap the dang thing is horrid. The scope will be mounted right on top of where the bolt opens. A break action will give you plenty of access to put that primer in it's spot.

Muzzleloader season up here is in Dec. And Dec. in MI is always cold and snowy, so fumbling with something small is always tons of fun when your fingers are numb. Happy hunting :)
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Administrator
    I got a good lead on a T/C Hawken, NIB, for way less than MSRP. I'm going to look at it tomorrow evening. I might buy it just because the price is right.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    You might look into the Savage 10ML
    Savage Arms Muzzleloader Series
    You can use nonblackpowder in it, although I am far from knowledgable about muzzleloaders. Still I like it, dont own anythough.

I don't own one either, but I have fired one. Very nice and on my list of "guns I want to own"! I've owned other muzzleloaders but always hated the mess. As you pointed out the Savage gives you the option of using smokeless powder!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Distinguished Member
    Powder, Patch, Ball.

Don't know if anyone mentioned that yet. It just doesn't work in any other order.

If you are having a good time laughing and joking you may forget. Once that happens you won't be shooting, laughing or joking. Others might - you won't.

I keep my souvenir ball with the custom screw hole as a reminder.

Senior Moderator
    Yep...its just a matter of time.

If you do that, you'll have to take the nipple off and pour some powder through the hole. Put the nipple back on and fire the gun. It'll have enough powder in it to shoot the ball out.

Its important to make sure the ball is seated as far into the barrel as it will go, otherwise you'll have a barrel obstruction with the ball being to far up in the barrel.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Administrator
    I shouldnt have an issue remembering that.

I'm enjoying the research I've been doing. The dumb part is, I used to live within walking distance of the "Log Cabin" shop here in Ohio. They are a huge resource for everything muzzle loading. Complete with a range, shooting leagues and a huge store.
    I now live three hours away.
    Last edited by SIXTO; November 28th, 2009 at 11:52 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Just something to keep in mind. If you decide to go with a modern inline and put a scope on it, go with a break action. DO NOT get a bolt! I have one and trying to cap the dang thing is horrid. The scope will be mounted right on top of where the bolt opens. A break action will give you plenty of access to put that primer in it's spot.

Muzzleloader season up here is in Dec. And Dec. in MI is always cold and snowy, so fumbling with something small is always tons of fun when your fingers are numb. Happy hunting :)
    Interseting, I've never had a problem with that at all, never would have even had that come to mind from my experience. I have see through mounts on my Rem 700ML now, so that would give more room obviously, but before I put this scope on I had low mounts on it with a Simmons muzzleloader scope and didn't have this issue then either, with or without gloves. I also had a Knight before my 700ML and never had this problem with it either, and it was the straight bolt type design. I shoot caps through my 700ML and did through the Knight to, I haven't got on the 209 Bandwagon yet.

Well, as we all know, firearm like/dislikes/experiences are all somewhat of a personal matter, not really right or wrong.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Remington 700ML 50cal.jpg

I added a picture of my 700ML just for kicks.

My cousin bought a T/C Encore last year with a 50cal muzzleloader barrel for Deer hunting and a (custom) 300WinMag barrel for Elk hunting. He put a Nikon Muzzleloader BDC scope on the 50cal barrel, and Nikon 3-9x40mm BDC scope on the 300Win Mag barrel. It is a nice setup, but pricey!

I love my Rem 700ML and see no reason to change, but the T/C's are all nice, I'd probably get an Encore if I did want to make a trade.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Administrator
    Yes, I've discovered there is a lot of scuttle between the traditionalists and the inline crowd. I guess there is even some clicks among the clicks.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Well, I've got two traditional and one inline.

I dont figure the deer care much.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    The Log Cabin shop is a good place Sixto. I used to order from them years ago, good folks to deal with. Track of the Wolf is also a good source.

As far as smokepoles, I've owned my share over the years. I tend to favor T/C and Lyman, just my preference.

If you like traditional, the T/C Hawkin is a good one, as are a number of the Lymans. A good compromise between the traditional and the inline is something like the T/C Firestorm.

As far as inlines go, the T/C Black Diamond was an excellent one, still available used here and there. Currently, the T/C Omega is a good one. What I'm using now. Well pleased with it.

The main difference between the traditional and the modern is sidelock vs. breach firing, and the sidelocks mostly use a #11 cap.

Inlines can use both pellets, loose powder, and traditional black powder. I use Goex in my Omega - I just love the smell of powder.

Someone else mentioned the NMLRA - they are a great organization. If you decide to go traditional, find someone who has been doing it for a few years. They can help save you a bunch of $$$ on accessory mistakes, working up a good load, choosing patching material, ball sizes, etc.

One other thing I can think of, if you go tradtional, replace the stock nipple with a larger one - more burn, faster ignition, and replace the wooden ramrod with a super rod/unbreakable rod.

That is it for now, good luck, and feel free to ask any questions, always happy to help out!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links