Give me some basic muzzle loader advice - Page 4

Give me some basic muzzle loader advice

This is a discussion on Give me some basic muzzle loader advice within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ctr The Log Cabin shop is a good place Sixto. I used to order from them years ago, good folks to deal ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Give me some basic muzzle loader advice

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    The Log Cabin shop is a good place Sixto. I used to order from them years ago, good folks to deal with. Track of the Wolf is also a good source.

As far as smokepoles, I've owned my share over the years. I tend to favor T/C and Lyman, just my preference.

If you like traditional, the T/C Hawkin is a good one, as are a number of the Lymans. A good compromise between the traditional and the inline is something like the T/C Firestorm.

As far as inlines go, the T/C Black Diamond was an excellent one, still available used here and there. Currently, the T/C Omega is a good one. What I'm using now. Well pleased with it.

The main difference between the traditional and the modern is sidelock vs. breach firing, and the sidelocks mostly use a #11 cap.

Inlines can use both pellets, loose powder, and traditional black powder. I use Goex in my Omega - I just love the smell of powder.

Someone else mentioned the NMLRA - they are a great organization. If you decide to go traditional, find someone who has been doing it for a few years. They can help save you a bunch of $$$ on accessory mistakes, working up a good load, choosing patching material, ball sizes, etc.

One other thing I can think of, if you go tradtional, replace the stock nipple with a larger one - more burn, faster ignition, and replace the wooden ramrod with a super rod/unbreakable rod.

That is it for now, good luck, and feel free to ask any questions, always happy to help out!
    Thanks; Yeah, the Log Cabin is a neat place. If you are ever in northern Ohio, its worth the effort to check it out. I enjoyed it even when I wasnt interested in muzzleloaders. They have all kinds of neat stuff, I used to pop in there when I was bored to browse around and watch guys shoot.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go traditional, as I found a NIB T/C Hawken for a little over $100. I can't turn that down, I'll be picking it up later this week.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Since the inlines came onto the scene, the traditionals have been going for a song.

A Hawken looks good on the wall or over a fireplace mantel.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, I've discovered there is a lot of scuttle between the traditionalists and the inline crowd. I guess there is even some clicks among the clicks.
    Same as recurve and compound bows, now the crossbow has joined the party.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

As for muzzle loading, Ive switched over to in-line, hunting
    in South Florida (wet, hi humility) I like the more positive
    ignition of the 209 primers.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator
    I might buy a inline as well, the performance people are claiming is astounding. I've always said I'd deer hunt if I could use a rifle....
    "Just blame Sixto"

Cap locks are for women and childern, real men shoot flintlocks!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Cap locks are for women and childern, real men shoot flintlocks!
    I won't go that far, but I will say that there is nothing quite like the pan flash, holding steady, and waiting for the smoke to clear. Awesome!

Administrator
    I've only shot a flintlock once; it was a neat experience. It would make one heck of a rifleman out of you, forcing a nice follow through.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I shoot a Knight disc rifle, with 2 50 grain Triple 7 pellets, and a Hornady saboted 300 grain XTP bullet. Both bucks I've shot with this load dropped in their tracks. Triple 7 is very easy to clean up too.

I've only shot a flintlock once; it was a neat experience. It would make one heck of a rifleman out of you, forcing a nice follow through.
    ( shooting my .62 cal "Baker Rifle".

Yes it will. Shooting flintlock pistols will also GREATLY increase your accuracy with modern.

Puffer

Administrator
    That's a neat picture Puffer. I'm afraid my hair will catch on fire now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yes, I've discovered there is a lot of scuttle between the traditionalists and the inline crowd. I guess there is even some clicks among the clicks.
    Yes there is. Although I am a TRADITIONALIST I am VERY familiar with "inclines" ( as a "lead" WA ST Hunter Ed Inst. & NRA TC) Just a couple of thoughts

1. State laws very as to the use of inclines in BP/ML hunting. ( sights, ammo etc.)
    2. Many of the inclines on the market, are not as accurate as their "traditional" counter parts.. There are several reasons, IMHO, for this.
    A. Many of the inclines are "GP", in that they try to "cover both the usage of "patched rnd. ball & "sabot" type ammo. ( the "twist" for a rnd. ball is DIFFERENT that that of a "sabot" & trying to "merge" both + inaccuracy)
    B. Many of the Mfgr.s push the use of "pre made & measured" synthetic powder "pellet" charges. Sadly to say most in-liners use them as opposed to using "loose powder"( BP is FAR better than Synthetic) & "working up" the "proper load" for their gun. Trust me, each gun, is different.
    C. ETC...

Not to get into the "FRAY", my personal preference = TRADITIONAL.
    Aesthetics, & tradition. As long as I can continue to hit a 2x6 "gong" (offhand open sights, 50 yds ) or shoot 4' groups @ 100 yds.( used to do better, but my eyes are "going") I will stay that way.

Puffer

That's a neat picture Puffer. I'm afraid my hair will catch on fire now.
    Hasn't happened yet. BUT @ in the finals of a multi state event, a couple of years ago, I got my "a^s "burnt". It was a "fort shoot". 4 person team. ( my partners were current & past reigning WA ST. Champs. ( male & female, I was on it only because one of the males got sick & they were "DESPERATE") The event had 2 shooters @ "ground level" & 2 "upper level". I was on the upper, & right under me was one of the Ladies ( with a flinter also) As I took a shot, I bent down & thrust my REAR over her "pan" & she "touched off" Suddenly She called a "CEASE FIRE" Why ??= My pants were on fire. Needless to say, after we took care of the "situation", we were laughing so hard, we had to stop for a while. Thankfully, the Judges Allowed us to start over ( they & the other contestants figured the laughs & future "stoies" was worth it.

Puffer

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links