Give me some basic muzzle loader advice

This is a discussion on Give me some basic muzzle loader advice within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, I've decided that having access to prime deer country and not hunting it is a crime; so I'm going to start. Not this year, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Administrator

OK, I've decided that having access to prime deer country and not hunting it is a crime; so I'm going to start. Not this year, but next. So I have a while to collect all the junk I need.

I want a muzzle loader, but I don't know much of anything about them.

I know that the inline models are the way to go as far as power and range; but I prefer the traditional side (cap) lock models. I dont know why I do, but I do. I guess I just like the history and tradition of it all.

So, give me some suggestions. Inline or cap lock, make you points of which is better. I also prefer a wood stock ( or at least a wood looking laminate) over synthetic. What brands are best, and what are garbage?

I'm open, tell me what you think.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    While I have never shot one of the inline models I have a 50cal Hawken I built many years ago from a kit that I have been very happy with. Myself I prefer the sidelocks also for the more traditional look. The kit was a Thompson Center sold by Sears at the time, easy to assemble with all major inletting done it needed only minor final fitting. I did try some of the sabot loads but got the best accuracy from a patched ball. As far as powder Pyrodex gave the best accuracy and was easier to clean than traditional black powder, a few squirts with Formula 409 immerse the nipple end of the barrel in bucket hot water then a few patches to clean and apply the bore.

You might try thse folks just to see some of the more traditional models.

Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    You might look into the Savage 10ML
    Savage Arms Muzzleloader Series
    You can use nonblackpowder in it, although I am far from knowledgable about muzzleloaders. Still I like it, dont own anythough.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I think you ought to just get you a crossbow and forget about the muzzle loader. That's just me though, and I think muzzle loading is a PITA. I just had to tell it like it is. Around these parts, archery and modern gun seasons cover most of the deer season. Maybe I'm just thinking lazy about the muzzle loader being a PITA, but the temperature swings we've seen here, I'm still thinking something more reliable and a projectile going into a target when I think it should. My two cents may not be worth a penny.
    BTW SIXTO, I hope you're enjoying some TO this holiday like I am. Have a good one!

For deer hunting it would be hard to beat a .54 cal Lyman Great Plains Rifle. Get the precussion lock. This rifle has a slow twist(1 turn in 66" I think) barrel so you will want to shoot patched round balls for best accuracy. This is just a beautifly traditional half stock hunting gun.

I think the real joy in black powder hunting is learning to use a truly primative rifle. A patched round ball and black powder with fixed open sights, now that is deer hunting.

Dixie Gun Works is a great place to start, Excellent customer service

I have owned inlines and sidelocks and while the inlines are some what easier to maintain. I just prefer the tradition. You don't really need anything more that a .50 or .54 cal round ball to kill a whitetail.

Currently I have a .45 cal full stock precusion sidelock that I really enjoy. I use traditional pillow ticking patch and 90 gains of FFg.

Administrator
    Keep 'em coming guys. Google is getting a work out while the turkey is roasting.

Oh yeah, RamRod, I thought about archery. I used to be a very avid archer (never hunted, just targets) when I was a kid. I just don't have the time to spend to be proficient with a bow. Perhaps a cross bow would work for me... but one step at a time

And yes, I am having a great roasted bird day. Got up at 5am with the dog, and headed out to the bean fields. Shook up two roosters, one was out of range and over water and the other stayed low, but right in front of another group of hunters. No shots on either. So, I got annoyed by the crowds so I left. Now I'm doing the cooking and surfing the net.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    For some interesting reading on the history of flintlocks and blackpowder rifle making in Appalachia pick up a copy of “Foxfire 5”.

Or you can download it free here. The Foxfire Book - Volume 05

Entire series here. Foxfire Books - Free Downloads

Any (GOOD) Inline with a 209 primer is going to do the job, Scope? iron sites?
    Triple 7 loose powder 280-340gn Buffalo Bore bullets shoot best for most in-
    lines (90-100) gn powder is great combo. Most guns have a recomended load
    they go by, I think Thomson Center Fire makes top quallity/CVA Good make.
    So let us know what you are going to get,You never know when you'll run
    across a Deal ; ) GOOD LUCK
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I want a muzzle loader, but I don't know much of anything about them.
    Heck! Why not go all the way... Flintlock!!

Also if you want to go traditional (flint or percussion lock), check the web for reenactors and reenacting groups in your area. Being in Ohio there are a bunch. They'll be glad to help you out.

(I see someone has already suggested Track of the Wolf. There is also Dixie Gun Works that has some cheaper firearms.)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Sixto - I always suggest that someone interested in muzzleloading go to the site of National Muzzle Loading Rifle Assn nmlra-dot-org. Gives you some ideas and direction, some sources, and you should be able to track down a local field rep or local charter club you can check out if you like.
    Steve

Senior Moderator
    Remington 700.
    You're already familiar with that platform, they make an excellent ML rifle.
    If it wasnt for the cleaning rod underneath the barrel, you'd think it was a regular rifle.

That would be the one that I got. I've thought about it, just havent done it yet.

I have killed many deer and bear with my TC Renegade. There is just something about it that I dearly love. With all the competetion from the inlines, you can find either a Renegade or a Hawkin pretty cheap. They are accurate, hit hard and they are pretty guns.

The inlines are mostly shooting pellets with saboted pistol bullets for flatter shooting. Although they are flatter shooting than what I use, they give up in the penetration. The newer heavier rifle bullets are great though.

I still hunt with the old traditional stuff. I use 92 grains of black powder with a 370 grain T/C Maxiball and it blows right on through. I have yet to recover a Maxiball on deer or bear. The last bear I shot was at 110 yards quartering away. I hit it in the right hip and it traveled completley through, exiting the chest after clipping the top of the heart. Thats a lot of meat to plow through, yet it did it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    OK, here is a stupid question; whats up with the two triggers on a single shot rifle?

Thanks for the advice so far.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    The back trigger is the "set" trigger. The front trigger fires it.

You can use the front trigger by itself to fire the gun, but using the "set" trigger gives it a much lighter letoff.

I use mine, but only when I am on target.

The back trigger is adjustable by a screw located right in front of it. Adjusting the screw either increases or decreases the let off pressure. You can set it to be a "hair" trigger where a light breat sets it off or you can set it to a couple of pounds, which is where mine is.

Without it, your trigger letoff will be around 6 pounds.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    OK, here is a stupid question; whats up with the two triggers on a single shot rifle?

Thanks for the advice so far.
    That is commonly called a "set trigger" the rear trigger sets the front trigger which then has about a 2-4oz letoff.

Trigger Function and Terminology

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links