Pre-64 Winchester 70 scope bases

This is a discussion on Pre-64 Winchester 70 scope bases within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After some fruitless searching, I thought you guys might know the answer. I'm in the market for some scope bases for my 53 yr old ...

After some fruitless searching, I thought you guys might know the answer. I'm in the market for some scope bases for my 53 yr old .30-06. Every website I search doesn't specify whether the bases will fit a pre-64 Model 70. They often give the screw hole dimensions, but I have no idea the measurements of my rifle, nor do I have the means to measure them. Maybe you could provide me a link or a part # that I could use?

I would also like some advice on the height of bases I should use for a 40mm objective scope.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I am not certain that a Model 70 of that era came from the factory with pre-drilled and taped scope mounting holes. I think before I spent any money on mounts, I would find a set of dial calipers and do some measuring. The base height and ring height will very by manufacturer. You will need to get the specs from the ring and base manufacturer(s).

Senior Moderator
    For a standard 40 MM scope, you would need medium bases. Some of the low bases would work if you dont have the rear sight on the gun, otherwise, to clear that you would need medium bases.

What kind of rings are you wanting? There are many different kinds. Many of them require separate bases that must be purchased additionally, some come as complete sets.

Go to Midway USA and check. They do have some stuff for pre 64's.

MidwayUSA - Just About Everything in Hunting & Shooting Sport Optics
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Is there a good gunsmith in your area? Take the rifle to him and have him match up a base. The gunsmith should have the tools to take the proper measurments. I have a newer model 70 and got my base and rings at Wal-Mart.

The one in this pic is a pre-'64 model. Some of these were used by the USMC even into the Vietnam conflict. I believe the one piece base, and the rings are Redfield, and those would be dovetail (turn-in) mounts. I'm thinking the one piece Redfield or Leupold bases would fit. You'll need to go by the serial number on your rifle, those being below #700,000 will be the pre-64 models. It's what I had to go with on my Sweedish Mauser action. I also believe most of the model 70s were tapped for the mount although I figure this didn't start right away in 1936 when they were first produced.

Winchester Model 70 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Here is Redfield's pdf for applications and the Winchesters are listed there:
    The JR series one piece as #47146
    http://glarp.atk.com/2009/2009_Catal...eldCatalog.pdf
    Leupold's site isn't at all helpful.

My rifle's serial # is less than 300,000. I checked out these Leupold bases at Midway and it says that it fits
    Winchester 70 Express Pre '64 (.435 Rear mount hole spacing for .458 Win., .416 Rem., H&H Models 300 mag and .375, .300 Weatherby)
    It doesn't list the .30-06 as an option.

In the Redfield catalog, it says
    Serial # 66,350 to 700,000 (one hole in rear of action)
    but my rifle has two holes in the rear of the action.

I sent an email to Brownell's to see what they would say.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Those Leupold bases should work. That is what is on my .270 very similar to yours.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The mounting hole spacing on my Model 70 is .80" . It is entirely possible that if you have an early production gun that it left the factory without pre drilled mounting holes. In which case a gunsmith or machinist at some time drilled and tapped the receiver and it would possibly need to have a custom base made to account for the custome drill and tap. Save yourself some headache and have the holes messured.

My #70 is a 1948{73.5xx} and IS tapped for a scope from factory. Unkle instead installed a set of redfield pepsights that I like. Screws for scope mounting never tampered with. The rifle will kill an orange at 100 yards every time I do my part. Seems an overkill for an 06 but it is fun!

Links