Suggestions for heirloom

Suggestions for heirloom

This is a discussion on Suggestions for heirloom within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My son is all of seven months old but I already have pre-approval from the boss to purchase a firearm for him. I have some ...

Suggestions for heirloom

My son is all of seven months old but I already have pre-approval from the boss to purchase a firearm for him. I have some ideas in mind but I don't want to limit anyone's imagination so I will withhold them for now. Here are the requirements that the firearm must meet:

1. Under $1,000.

2. Be a shooter. No safe queens allowed.

3. Common caliber or gauge in the midwest. .45, .22LR, .270, 20 g etc. = good. No .460 Weatherby Mag please.

4. Quality manufacturing.

5. No limit on type of firearm - pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun - they are all good.

6. Classic appearance that has potential to increase in value. I'm not interested in a futuristic looking weapon. I want something that my son will proudly pass on to his son or daughter.

7. Since he was born this year, bonus points for anything related to 2009.

Ok. There is no wrong answer here. If you feel the need to not follow one or more of the requirements, state your case!

Personalized Engraved Henry Goldenboy in 22LR, .22 Magnum, or .17HMR with display.

“Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Ok Shadow. Great minds must think alike. The personalized Golden Boy is #1 on my list at the moment. Inexpensive, good looking, and you can change out the engraved receiver with a regular one and blast away.

But don't let this discourage anyone else from posting. I really want to look at all options.

OD*
    Colt's 1918 reproduction, Colt's replica "Black Army".
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Mine is a 1959 vintage smith and wesson model 41 target pistol, its the gun dad taught me on, he has since passed on but that gun will be passed on and in the same tradtion it will be the one I teach my kids to shoot.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

VIP Member
    What about 2 guns? A Ruger 10/22 and a Ruger Vaquero .45LC. The 10/22 is a classic .22 Rimfire rifle that will not go down in value, while the Vaquero is a classic design that every kid (regardless of age) likes. Should be able to pick up both for under the $100. budget.

The Heny Goldenboy in .22 mag, is perfect.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    To me heirloom means something you already have and will pass on to the next generation. Your dad gives you the gun his dad gave him that sort of thing. Don't get me wrong your idea is just as good, a tradition has to start somewhere. If you have such a gun I would do that after the young one learns to properly care for and respect the responsibility of firearms. In lieu of already having such a gun I would say a Ruger 1022 would be appropriate for a first gun. They are relatively inexpensive, robust, dependable, and will last a lifetime.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I second the 10/22, or even better the 77/22 All-Weather. The 77/22 is a bolt-action model that will require your son to slow down and take his time, instead of just blasting through the magazine as fast as he can.

Mike
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I think a nice Lever action or a 12 guage would be a great heirloom
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Personalized Engraved Henry Goldenboy in 22LR, .22 Magnum, or .17HMR with display.
    Ok... now I think that says it all. Been around a long time, great guns and will last a long time with care. I would like to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    To me heirloom means something you already have and will pass on to the next generation. Your dad gives you the gun his dad gave him that sort of thing. Don't get me wrong your idea is just as good, a tradition has to start somewhere. If you have such a gun I would do that after the young one learns to properly care for and respect the responsibility of firearms. In lieu of already having such a gun I would say a Ruger 1022 would be appropriate for a first gun. They are relatively inexpensive, robust, dependable, and will last a lifetime.
    +10 good answer! An heirloom piece might just be that .22 you already have that 7 or 8 years from now you teach the little guy to shoot with. By the time he's 40, that old .22 will look solid gold to him.
    Actually, my own dad gave me the .22 semi-auto rifle I wasn't supposed to use when I was a kid, but sometimes would sneak out anyway when he was at work. Maybe that was his intention all along...
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

SBR M4 lower if legal where you live. Get the piston upper (7"/10"/14", etc) during the next funding authorization act (hopefully he is stil under 2-3years old by the time the proposed budget gets approved). Start gathering info for your "can" (aka silencer) budget proposal. Repeat until you get most, if not all, the items on the image below, preferably before he turns 10-12 years old (by that time you'll start your pistol budget requests). Now thats a family heirloom.

I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Links