Flying Guns out of Illinois

This is a discussion on Flying Guns out of Illinois within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My aging parents live in the Chicago suburbs. Dad was always an avid shooter, hunter and at one-time a gunsmith so he has a few ...

Thread: Flying Guns out of Illinois

Flying Guns out of Illinois

My aging parents live in the Chicago suburbs. Dad was always an avid shooter, hunter and at one-time a gunsmith so he has a few nice firearms. As he no longer shoots, I was thinking of rescuing a few of his guns and bringing them to the safety of Texas before his state becomes any more restrictive (see Mods, no political comments from me). Does anyone know (particularly those forum members from the Illinois) if I can simply pack them in a check-able, lockable hard-case and fly them out of a Chicago airport? The airline (Southwest) does not present a problem as I'll have them broken down and unloaded but getting them through Midway Airport may be a little hairy. I do not have a FOID card and I don't want to break any laws, just get a few choice pieces to the relative safety of Texas. I have even thought of using one of the locking, hard-case golf bags with extra foam inserts to get them past airport security unchallenged (I don't think a guy with a golf bag would attract much attention).
    The fall-back plan is to pay to ship them to an FFL near my home but I wanted to know if there was a cheaper solution.
    [B]"The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they'll be when you kill them" - William Clayton[/B]

2. Remove Ads

How about flying out of Milwaukee or Indianapolis? or even St. Louis...?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I believe your father can gift them to you and you can legally pack them up and send them home. If they're old enough, you can mark them antiques.But to be safe I'd check with a lawyer.

Since you are not an IL resident you do not need a FOID card.
    As far as taking them home to another state via checked baggage then you need to contact the airlines for their procedure. There is nothing in IL law that prohibits what you are doing. IL does not register firearms.
    183 FBINA

Rent a car, and drive them to Indy. Then catch a flight.

No problem flying out of Midway. I fly Southwest all the time and pack my 45 in a hard case per the airline rules. 2 years ago I flew down to Tampa and back with my M1 in a hard lockable case and had no troubles at all. Obviously make sure you declare them when you check in and you should not have any problems.
    U.S. Navy Veteran-NRA Member
    Taurus PT 845, PT 99 AF
    Ruger SR9
    1938 Mauser K98 8mm, 1917 DWM German Luger
    1952 M1 Garand
    Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians.

Thanks, Guys! I feel much better about getting the firearms out of the state. I'm heading north in two weeks. I'll let you know how it all turns out. Of course, if the rules change suddenly and I get bagged by the airport police, my wife will let you know where to send the cake with a file in it...
    [B]"The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they'll be when you kill them" - William Clayton[/B]

Links