340 PD powder burns

This is a discussion on 340 PD powder burns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just bought a 340PD and was shooting PMC 135g 357 loads. I noticed I could not have my left fingers anywhere near the cylinder ...

Thread: 340 PD powder burns

340 PD powder burns

I just bought a 340PD and was shooting PMC 135g 357 loads. I noticed I could not have my left fingers anywhere near the cylinder or else I got severe powder burns from the cylinder gap. I am used to shooting my wifes model 68 which is pretty much the same gun except in 38 spl. I have never had any problems with this using the same shooting form.

I was thinking it might be the ammo. There appeared to be a lot of unburnt powder in the barrel and chamber after firing.

Can someone suggest a cleaning burning ammo for this gun for plinking?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Different ammo works differently. Some ammo just naturally spits. Also, you did not mention if the gun is used? On a used revolver, with a well worn forcing cone, spitting is common.

More importantly, never, ever, place your fingers near, on, or around the front cylinder gap. A serious injury is possible.

It is a good idea to keep your hand away from the cylinder gap. 357 mag will have more flash than 38. The different ammo may be part of the cause. Easy to check. Just shoot some of her ammo in your gun. Take a feeler gauge and measure cylinder gap to make sure you are within spec. I find that I get less flash with a heavier (158g) bullet. I think 135g Gold Dot Short Barrel might give good results for a lighter bullet in a 357 mag. I have only used them as handloads, not factory loads. But I would be surprised if Speer did not take that into account.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    use 38sp for plinking. 357 mag out of the 340 is a hoot but it is expensive and hurts after a while.

Not really sure why your fingers are near the front of the cylinder... can you get us a pic of the way you grip it?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

You are going to get cylinder gap spit from any revolver but too much is not only bad for your fingers but bad for the gun..

As stated above check with feeler gauge. The gap (Check all 5 or 6 cylinders) should be between .002(tight) to about .004 or .006(for a new revolver).

Remember that flame cutting of the revolver's top strap caused by excessive gap can cause a structural failure with some bad results.

OMO

bosco

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    The thoughtful responses set forth above are spot-on.

My theory is a little different, and little less rigorously logical: the 340 just freakin' hurts to shoot, and that powder burning from the cylinder gap is just one more way that shooting the 340 hurts!
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    You are going to get cylinder gap spit from any revolver but too much is not only bad for your fingers but bad for the gun..

As stated above check with feeler gauge. The gap (Check all 5 or 6 cylinders) should be between .002(tight) to about .004 or .006(for a new revolver).

Remember that flame cutting of the revolver's top strap caused by excessive gap can cause a structural failure with some bad results.

OMO

bosco
    The scandium frame revolvers have a replaceable shield to protect the frame.

Also for Ti cylinders they tell you not to use less then a 120g bullet for 357 mag as the unburnt powder will cause erosion of the cylinder. They are pretty specific on the diet of these little high end revolvers
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    The thoughtful responses set forth above are spot-on.

My theory is a little different, and little less rigorously logical: the 340 just freakin' hurts to shoot, and that powder burning from the cylinder gap is just one more way that shooting the 340 hurts!
    Agreed^^^^

Lets add the 360 to that!!
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

On a revolver your dominant hand should be high on the backstrap and support hand should be lower than on an auto grip. More PUSH-PULL with the hands Isometrically steadying each other. Try Gold Dot SB or Golden Saber if you must carry 357. .38 +P is a more practical choice in these guns.

Links