Range Etiquette Question - Conceal all the way to range?

This is a discussion on Range Etiquette Question - Conceal all the way to range? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My current understanding and practice is that I'll bring my gun, unloaded, in a pistol box, to the range, pay the man at the counter, ...

Thread: Range Etiquette Question - Conceal all the way to range?

Range Etiquette Question - Conceal all the way to range?

My current understanding and practice is that I'll bring my gun, unloaded, in a pistol box, to the range, pay the man at the counter, get my eye/ear protection and go to the range itself, pull weapon out, load, and get to it.

It struck me as kind of odd, however, that I carry conceal in there all the time yet I can't take it into the range...

Am I assuming correctly that it is simply a range safety rule? (just like you can't practicing drawing/firing there) I understand the logic even though I feel silly going in fully armed, buying ammo, then going out to my car to put my weapon in a plastic case and come back in...

2. Remove Ads

Doesn't make sense to me. I would ask the range master. Do all the ranges around you have the same rule. Might find a different range.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Most private clubs and ranges adhere to the following:
    You approach the range/ stall in a "cold" condition: unloaded and cased. The reason is that only "hot" forearms are to be either in the hand of a shooter who is facing a target in proper body position towards a target.
    Can you imagine being in a public range with all sorts of people in various stages of unlimbering concealed, loaded firearms, partially in their stalls and pointing their muzzles all over the place?? It happens enough with people who are in their shooting stalls and turn around to reload with a live one in the chamber. BE considerate; enter with an unloaded firearm properly cased.

I show up carrying and leave the same way.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Our range has no restrictions on CCW...except, if you want to shoot your carry gun, they have a 'side enclosure' a few steps from the range (20') where you must clear the weapon you want to set at the range table...then reverse the process when you leave. This makes for no misunderstanding by the RO as to where ALL firearms are located.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Every time I have gone to the range it seems to go a little different. There have been times I have gone into the restroom to unload because they didn't want you to go in with a loaded weapon on your person; times I've gone in exactly as I carry. The printed rules always seem a bit ambiguous and confusing so the best way to do it is just ask the range officer what he wants you to do. There's nothing like being up front and asking, "is this going to be ok or do you want me to do it differently?"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Our range has no restrictions on CCW...except, if you want to shoot your carry gun, they have a 'side enclosure' a few steps from the range (20') where you must clear the weapon you want to set at the range table...then reverse the process when you leave. This makes for no misunderstanding by the RO as to where ALL firearms are located.
    ditto here
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Most people at our range shoot their carry weapon. They arrive, sign in, Go to a firing station, unholster their gun, unload their carry ammo, load up practice ammo and shoot. To leave they reverse the steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I am with you on this one. I carry everywhere everyday. You can easily be targeted in a range parking lot when a perp thinks you shot all your ammo and sees you carrying all of your guns. He may assume that you are unarmed and helpless and an easy target. Never shoot all of your SD ammo. Always leave with a full mag, condition 1. I rarely shoot SD ammo as it is too expensive so that mag goes into my back pocket while I use spare mags for practice ammo. Thats me though.
    Proud Member of the NRA

I checked with one of my usual gun store/indoor shooting range after getting my ccw and they said, "concealed means concealed... As long as we don't see it, no worries."

Another Shooting (Only) Range , that I am a member of, could care less. They said I look like a pistol shooter "cause I'm too clean cut to be a rifle guy." (I love these guys and I really feel at home there)

Another Gun Store/Shooting Range I go to when I'm away from home says "no firearms concealed. All firearms unloaded and locked in a case."

My local range says you're welcome to conceal carry to the lane if you so choose. So I do.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

While there is a 'no loaded firearms' sign it doesn't have any legal standing and I am not walking across the parking lot with a bag full of unloaded firearms. I have my G23 on my waist, loaded and take it into the range line that way, switching out my SD ammo when I get to the line.

They don't ask and I don't tell.

Ditto. ^^

As well I do not train with the firearm I am carrying or intend to carry, as out the door.
    Sometimes I may openly carry but most often as my norm I am concealed while training.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Same here. As of yet, our local club does not have a safe zone for CC. Until they do, we take off our CC and bag them in the vehicle, then attend the match or activity. If we are not there for a match, we continue CC at the club range. What sort of shooting range/club is going to disallow CC at the range? That's pretty much a conflict of interest, but I know there's those that do. Kinda silly to me.

Links