Anyone ever go back through their first posts?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever go back through their first posts? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It is another snow day from work, I'm bored and procrastinating the "honey'do" list. I opted to go back and re-read some of my very ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever go back through their first posts?

Anyone ever go back through their first posts?

It is another snow day from work, I'm bored and procrastinating the "honey'do" list.

I opted to go back and re-read some of my very first posts on the forum. Interesting to see some of the changes in mentality, and how others have been cemented.

Anyone else do this? Particularly the longer term members?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Mine do not go back to the beginning. Not sure why, but they only seem to go back about 14 months. Maybe if a mod reads this they can comment.

But to answer your question, yes, I do take a look sometimes.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Mine do not go back to the beginning. Not sure why, but they only seem to go back about 14 months. Maybe if a mod reads this they can comment.

But to answer your question, yes, I do take a look sometimes.
    On a basic search, or looking at your posts linked from your profile, you only get the 200 most recent. If you do an advanced search for you own posts, you can play with the date options and go back further. It's not perfect and takes a while to get the knack of to try and find "the beginning" but it can be done.

I go back and reference some early threads of mine and Lima's and it is kind of a amazing to see some of the changes we've made, guns we bought, guns we sold, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    It is another snow day from work, I'm bored and procrastinating the "honey'do" list.

I opted to go back and re-read some of my very first posts on the forum. Interesting to see some of the changes in mentality, and how others have been cemented.

Anyone else do this? Particularly the longer term members?
    I'd rather not. I have seen a few of um and can't believe my level of arrogance and just plain dumb statements I made from time to time.

I'm kinda new to the message board thing but have been around computers and the internet for years and earn my living working with the digital side of computing. One thing I've learned from DC is it's best to check you ego at the door and be prepared for all kinds of responses, some good and some not so good. Over all I think there's allot of good folks here and if I have offended anyone in the past, my apologies and peace to you, unless you took a personal stab at me first for that I would say, yielding has never been one of my strong points. Consider it a character flaw if you will.

I just glad I'm not a drinker and post kinda guy! Eating crow is not a meal I would enjoy partaking of to often.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    I never look back.
    I just keep on saying stupid stuff & whatever "comes to mind" and I plow ever forward.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I never look back.
    I just keep on saying stupid stuff & whatever "comes to mind" and I plow ever forward.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Never have, but now I'm curious.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I still consider my posts my "first posts". I'm sure I'll look back and want to slap myself for some of the things I say, but thats why I'm here, to learn.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I have looked at my first posts and realized how much of a newbie dweeb I was. Now I am just a dweeb. But I have noticed a definite shift of attitude and I am now much better informed.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I used to be part of another forum regarding concealed defensive carry and I always looked back at my old posts. Surpisingly, many people would still view the post and respond. It was Normal to see new responses to questions I had a year ago. Still, it is a good idea to look back. you tend to learn new things.
    Remember as a rule of thumb in defensive carry...your intention is always to STOP....not to hurt, however; in a gun fight, its either me or them.....and Im sure as hell that it will NOT be me.
    -joey rh

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I have looked at my first posts and realized how much of a newbie dweeb I was. Now I am just a dweeb. But I have noticed a definite shift of attitude and I am now much better informed.

+1. The funny part is that I had carried for about 6 years before I found DC. I'm sure glad I never had to use my firearm or I may have done or said something stupid and got arrested.

I still say some stupid things from time to time on here though. : )
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Like Kahlil Gibran said: "I never speak without error for my words come from the world of reference and my ideas come from the world abstraction."

Even after I post and sometimes just as I post I see errors... The written word is so easy to misinterpret I think because others don't have the luxury to see your facial gestures and hear the sound in your voice. I've been misinterpreted many times as I'm sure we all have... Sometimes I spend more time trying to explain what I was trying to say or trying to backwater as to not sound to harsh than I did in the original post...
    Never was much of a writer and can hardly believe I'm doing it now as much as I am... It's a GREAT medium for communication though, we all just have to grown up in it together with humbleness and tolerance, much like what I've seen displayed so far in this forum...

O, and Thank God for spellchecker!
    “Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”

Sigmund Freud

That would be one heck of a search...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    That would be one heck of a search...
    In your case, a full time job!
    “Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”

Sigmund Freud

Administrator

Wink

Yes, the moderators have noticed quite an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links