Why you wear eye protection while shooting!

This is a discussion on Why you wear eye protection while shooting! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got this link emailed to me, thought I would share this video; apparently the guy had a squib load or two, then slapped in another ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why you wear eye protection while shooting!

Got this link emailed to me, thought I would share this video; apparently the guy had a squib load or two, then slapped in another round on his AR, then KABOOM!

It is also a good reason you use quality ammo as well. Here's the link: (LINK Deleted See Below)
    YouTube - M16 Blows up in Kids Face

DC Forum Rules Page
    4. As a family-friendly forum, we ask that you keep your language clean, exactly as we hope you would when addressing respected elders. Creative workarounds (the use of special characters to replace some letters) on language are not allowed. Violators of this rule will be warned once; those repeatedly breaking this rule will have their accounts permanently revoked.
    NOTE: Links to off site material will be held to our family-friendly standard, as well.

Members can go to YouTube and search the title that I let stay posted.

The VID contains a DC forum language violation and one of the comments posted below is incredibly foul.

So...Mouse copy the title ...go to YouTube - Paste the title - Watch the VID and come back to this thread and comment on the KABOOM.

That way this thread can stay open.

The rules are the rules as per the text in BOLD above.
    Sorry....qkshooter

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Yup, the dangers of reloads. Got to be attentive and aware. Ruined a fine rifle, not to mention the damage that the guy received. Looked like his hand got hurt.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DBRideout View Post
    Yup, the dangers of reloads. Got to be attentive and aware. Ruined a fine rifle, not to mention the damage that the guy received. Looked like his hand got hurt.
    I missed that part that said he was shooting reloaded ammunition

Defective factory ammo is pretty common...I have gotten factory ammo with the primer in backwards... QC isn't that great with bulk ammo I guess.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I missed that part that said he was shooting reloaded ammunition
    Watch it again. The other fellow came up to him when he was having trouble and said something like "you don't know how to load these and he responded that "he didn't load these, Brian did", or something very similar to that... Only watched it once, but that is what I thought I heard anyway.

the audio part.

"I didn't load these Brian did"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    ah no sound on this computer. heh
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    ah no sound on this computer. heh
    Got to thinking you might have been at work with in ear shot.. hehe... Started to even question myself, so I had to watch it again... No harm no foul.

Still a nasty event, no matter.

First clue was that the shooter hit the forward assist like three or four times in a row.

Those watching should have thought hey that is not normal nor even necessary protocol as related to loading and making ready an AR15/M16.
    Especially not a firearm that is in good condition as having been clean and not built up with carbon crud or exposed to high dirt/sand conditions.

Even if I had not expected a kaboom in watching the vid his constant use of the forward assist would have defintiely caught my eye as being indicative of there being a technical/mechanical problem with the firearms systems.

Second is he calls out "bad primer" twice, in a row.
    That right there is a clue to check all of the ammunition as sourced and to check the gun as well for 1) function and 2) potential obstruction.
    Which leads back to his constant use of the forward assist which is not normally required an is a strong indicator of something is not right as related to a gun that otherwise is clean and has not been exposed to high degrees of grit.

Dude did not use his head and think his way through diagnosis of the issue literally in hand.
    He just focused on ehh I want to shoot some more boolits and make this thing go bang. :|

- Janq

P.S. - I wonder if the manufacturer will feel bad for him and send the owner a new gun for no reason but feeling bad for their loss(!), even as clearly this is a case of ammunition issue (source) AND operator error, as folk in the past S&W M&P15 gun go boom clearly due to ammo threads had an expectation toward.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I agree, Janq; he definitely used that forward assist too many times. That indicated to me that he may well have had some OAL (overall length) issues, and he probably didn't do a good job of checking his ammunition before chambering it........

Oh well, a hard lesson learned glad he wasn't hurt.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

He was fussing with it a lot wasn't he? Sure sign of impending problems.
    “Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”

Sigmund Freud

At least he was wearing eye protection, the range probably required it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I have a friend that just got out of the army,combat wounded that when I showed him some of my AR15 platforms,he apparently was trained in the Army that when he chambered a round to smack the forward assist to make sure the bolt was closed,I was never trained that way,but maybe due to conditions in afghanistan and Iraq they changed.Anytime you have a squib,you need to stop,clear the weapon,and manually inspect the barrel for obstructions,a primer has enough force to lodge a bullet in the barrel
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

He is using the forward assist before he uses the charging handle when he changes magazines. Then he taps the magazine after he releases the bolt/charging handle and uses the forward assist. My guess is that he is not familiar with that platform or is new to shooting.

In response to the comment that I didn't load these, Brian did or whatever. They may have been refering to loading the magazine, or been referring to loading the actual ammunition, it is unclear. It is hard to tell what breaks on the gun. It is clear that the magazine is blown out of the gun, but unclear to me if there is any actual damage to the firearm itself.

This could be a result of bad reloads, bad ammo, or something else, but it does drive home the point of using shooting glasses.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Side item not having to do with the video as related to wearing eye protection.

I wear eye protection when in the field/woods with firearms hunting.
    This past Monday I went with two mentors, both are long time professional wildlife biologists, and the third a professional logger who has been hunting since single digit age.

I was the only person to wear eye protection.

Yes we were running shotguns (low chamber pressure) but still between using guns and moving through thick brush and woods among branches and sticks (!) I find and have found eye protection to be a necessary and functional item.

As well I have seen at an IDPA event a SO take a sharp of brass to the lower lip that embedded itself several millimeters deep and caused him to bleed heavily. He had been standing a good 10' away and the far right and still got caught. Thank goodness he too was wearing eye protection.

IMHO whenever any person around me is doing something that could possibly involve my eyes I will reach for eye protection. Here is a guy who wished he'd done same as he got a fish hook caught in his cornea. :|

It's very cheap insurance.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Eye protection is cheap insurance. Amen!
    “Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”

Sigmund Freud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links