Would you be comfortable?

This is a discussion on Would you be comfortable? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is the deal. The steel cabinet/safe that I have at the house is busting at the seems. It was designed for 12 long guns, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you be comfortable?

Would you be comfortable?

Here is the deal. The steel cabinet/safe that I have at the house is busting at the seems. It was designed for 12 long guns, and currently I have 18 stuffed into it, leaving me only an air rifle that won't fit into the cabinet.

I have another pistol cabinet bolted on top of the long gun one, with about 7 or so pistols and some powder/primers and other crap in it. Then I have a small quick access safe that is mounted on a closet shelf that holds the 4 guns that are used for carry between my wife and I.

I need/want a new gun safe, but don't have any place to put it. There isn't room in the BR, Den, or even in the utility room that all my reloading stuff is in. The safe I am looking at is 72" high, 40" wide, and 24" deep. Plenty big enough to hold what I have now or think I will be getting anytime in the future.

What I am contemplating is putting it in the breakroom at my office. There is room there for it, and we are here 5 days of the week most of the time anyway. So if I am planning on going shooting over the weekend or whatever it will be easy enough to get what I need. Our office consists of my wife and I, and during tax season one other person. That person doesn't get a key to the office or the code for the alarm. There are other people that have keys and the code for the alarm but they are either family or close friends. I am not worried about them getting into the safe.

So, would you be comfortable putting a safe containing the bulk of the firearms you own at another location other than your house? It takes me about 3 to 5 minutes to get to the office from my house if I get a call from the alarm company. So far, the police have always beat me here, but they were always equipment malfuntions and not actual entries into the building.

If you wouldn't feel comfortable, why? If you would, what if anything would you do in addition to bolting the safe in, and keeping the alarm service going (that is going to happen anyway)?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Insurance may be an issue. You will need to see if you need a rider on your business insurance to cover your PERSONAL weapons at your place of business, if they will issue a rider.

Home owner insurance is much easier to get a rider on to insure your weapons.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Don't do it!
    Garage, friend's house, but not at work.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

For clarification, it is my company I am self employed, and my building, well mine and the banks for about 4 more years.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

You may be Ok...

but I myself would have a hard time sleeping at night with a large gun collection being stored away like that. I would rather move some other things around for space or even build an addition. " hey honey I think it's time for construction on the mancave"
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

I wouldnt be comfortable. Is there a possibility of fitting 2 smaller safes at your home instead of 1 big one? Maybe a 2nd safe the size of the one you have now?
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Don't know what your clientel normally consists of but they might be a little curious if they see a gunsafe in the breakroom. Furthermore they may want to come back at a more convenient time for a closer look...

I am a little concerned about you storing your primer and powder in the same location. Besides that I wouldn't have any information otherwise. Wish you the best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter76blue View Post
    Don't know what your clientel normally consists of but they might be a little curious if they see a gunsafe in the breakroom. Furthermore they may want to come back at a more convenient time for a closer look...
    They don't get to go into the breakroom. From the front of the office (waiting area), entering into my office or my wifes, and even going to the bath room, it would not be visible to them. The occasional client that I ask to come back to the break room when I am eating lunch, or that I tell that they can go back and grab a soda or whatever out of the fridge, I would not be concerened about.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I wouldn’t leave mine at work.

I’d put in a large gun wall safe.

Or build a false wall in your guest room with a small narrow room behind it that stores your collectables. And have a hidden entrance to the room from your bedrooms closet.

My dad did that in his old house, and my neighbor is building one in his house right now.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    How many employees do you have and how trustworthy are they? Do any have keys to your office? Would it be possible for one to come in in the off hours and break into the safe? I'm with others in if you don't have space for one big safe two smaller safes may be the trick and keep them at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    How many employees do you have and how trustworthy are they? Do any have keys to your office? Would it be possible for one to come in in the off hours and break into the safe? I'm with others in if you don't have space for one big safe two smaller safes may be the trick and keep them at home.
    As stated in the original post, it is the wife and me during most of the year, and one other person during tax season. The other person does not have a key, and does not have the alarm code to the office building.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I wouldn’t leave mine at work.

I’d put in a large gun wall safe.

Or build a false wall in your guest room with a small narrow room behind it that stores your collectables. And have a hidden entrance to the room from your bedrooms closet.

My dad did that in his old house, and my neighbor is building one in his house right now.
    false walls and sweet hiding places sound better to me than a 5min drive to work.. like Batman
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    If the insurance issue can be worked out, I don't see it as being a bad compromise...It isn't the best scenario, but it is workable...Only you know what you feel comfortable with and how safe you think your guns will be...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

i got an idea. Get the new safe and lay down in the living room and use it has a coffee table

Here's another: Take the tub out of the bathroom and install a stand up shower and put the safe next to it (although moisture maybe a problem)

ok, how about this: get a new BIG SAFE, and sell the other ones on e-bay?

I know? not much help, but what-the-heck
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links