Ever have a "KABOOM"?

This is a discussion on Ever have a "KABOOM"? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You may be and probably are right but that thing scared me and I ain't afraid of anything......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever have a "KABOOM"?

Wink

You may be and probably are right but that thing scared me and I ain't afraid of anything...
    “Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”

Sigmund Freud

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    It sounds like you had a case failure. Lucky the breech was strong enough not to catastrophically fail. Stress crack failure is better then structure failure. If you didn't get shrapnel then count your blessings. It shouldn't turn you away from a particular brand or caliber though. **** happens ya know?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

ya, I know. I might go with a pistol like you suggested if I was in the market, but I've never been a big fan of hand canons anyway. I'll stick with my 9mm's and .45acp's even though they have probably had more catastrophic failures in the long run simple by the shear numbers of them out there...
    I do feel lucky that I was not hurt and it did make me appreciate Glock, if nothing else that it contained most of the parts and piecies...
    “Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”

Sigmund Freud

Most Common Causes

Two common causes of the KB! Phenom..... Squib Loads followed by trigger pulls and the bullet seating too far back in thier case.
    Squib Loads are easy to diagnose as the barrell will be bulged or split due to the obstruction.
    Pressure can increase because when autos cycle the nose of the bullet contacts a feed ramp. Occasionally this will force the bullet deep into the case, this increases chamber pressure when the round fires. If the pressure is too high it can blow the gun. The Glock and other Polygonal Rifled weapons are more suseptable to chamber pressure as lead fouling also increases chamber pressure. These two factors are why Glock invalidates the warranty if you use handloads.
    In revolvers, very rarely the powder burn from a fired cartridge can ignite a cartridge in an adjoiniing chamber causing a usually catastrophic ignition of multiple rounds at once.
    I am a twenty year Firearms Instructor for Police and Corrections and I have seen all of these. If the gun malfunctions in any way on the range, keep it pointed away from you and wait a least 30 seconds before trying to clear the gun. A slow burning primerin a shotshell almost cost me my right hand once....didn't get hurt...stupid way to learn.

This was not a squib load for sure. Although it did appear to feed the exploding round, I would not know about if the bullet was seated too deep. I could not tell you when he had clean this pistol either, as it wasn't mine.

If you shoot a gun much at all, sometimes things just are not going to go right. That's the very reason good habits can and do save lives.

Sigmund Freud

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links