Ever have a "KABOOM"?

This is a discussion on Ever have a "KABOOM"? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've shot for most of my 55 years of being on this planet, even before I could hold the firearm by myself and I've only ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever have a "KABOOM"?

Unhappy Ever have a "KABOOM"?

I've shot for most of my 55 years of being on this planet, even before I could hold the firearm by myself and I've only had one go KABOOM.

It was a friends 10mm Glock. The third round (or so) and the whole thing shuttered in such a way that was "just not right" and was much louder than normal. Then my handle kind of went numb, not bad and not long. The Glock tried to work normally but blew the extractor of to "somewhere" and over sized the entire breach area. It cracked the frame in a couple of spots as I remember, but ultimately no body was hurt.
    I had always heard that the 10mm was too much cartridge for any pistol, guess they where right.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You just had to go and say Kaboom and Glock in the same sentence, didn't you? Now all the anti-Glockers will jump on the band wagon.

It happens. Many reasons why something like that happens, not just because it's a Glock. If it was a real problem with a particular weapon, there wouldn't be so many of them out there.

Never said I blamed the Glock, or that it was it's fault. Actually, I'm very appreciative of the Glock design, it is probably the biggest reason why I was not hurt. It very well could have been the ammo, I never asked the fellow about that, so I have no idea... I do know that the 10mm has a very destructive track record anyway and the Glock to my knowledge is the only firearm to stand up to it as well as it has... I'm not sure why it went KABOOM, fact is it did...
    I'm primarily interested in other peoples experiences with KABOOM's...

I have a double barrel 12 ga. that went KABOOM on the skeet range, it didnt blow up just fired both barrels at the same time,I started hitting more clays that way but I still fixed it.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

I've seen several revolvers go kaboom but never a pistol. Usually the problem with the revolver was a hot load.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    I have a double barrel 12 ga. that went KABOOM on the skeet range, it didnt blow up just fired both barrels at the same time,I started hitting more clays that way but I still fixed it.
    That's funny. I guess it would still count. I bet your shoulder was sore the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I've seen several revolvers go kaboom but never a pistol. Usually with the problem with the revolver was a hot load.
    Saw a Ruger Super Blackhawk in a gun store where the top strap and the top 1/3 of the cylinder was gone. The salesman said it was from too fine of powder that developed too much pressure too fast... I don't know if that was right or not, but I would have hated to have been the one that pulled the trigger or even a semi close bystander regardless.

I've had one go Kaboom (revolver), but it didn't crack and/or come apart... but it wasn't a Glock. LOL.

Years ago I shot both barrels off on a 12 ga magnum load and didn't have it in my shoulder right (or well) , that hurt for a couple of weeks and was black and blue.

Here's a good reason to wear hearing protection, even with .22s!
    I was next to my friend who was shooting his Marlin model 60, our best guess is that it fired out of battery, the entire rear half of the case blew out and since I was standing to the right of him my left ear was almost deaf for an hour. My only personal experience with a Kb..

Wow, slam fire... Good reason for eye protection too... Did it do any damage to the rifle?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Nothing against glock. They go kaboom as good as any other pistol

No kaboom experience knock on wood.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Nothing against glock. They go kaboom as good as any other pistol

No kaboom experience knock on wood.
    Agreed. Under the right circumstances, any firearm can KB. It's those circumstances that I find interesting.
    “Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”

Sigmund Freud

Where you shooting factory ammo? The only experience I have seen was shooting in a match when a fellow shooters S&W 1911 style in 10mm. went KB.
    He was shooting reloads using so called "once fired brass" that he bought on line. we figured it was from over used brass and a double feed of powder wile he was reloading. He is now very careful. All other KB that I have heard of usually is a result of bad reloading.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

I do not recall ever hearing, or asking. It could have been. I was very surprised at the lack of damage to me and to the Glock. It was ruined, no doubt, but I have seen far worse. This incident happened several years ago, wish I would have taken a picture.
    Could have been the ammo. Could have been a slam fire, but that seems unlikely being a Glock. Could have been just one too many rounds of 10mm too, that was and is my impression as to the cause. Unfortunately, we'll never know. I'd never own a 10mm pistol after that.
    “Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”

Sigmund Freud

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    the 1006 was a beefy 10mm that can eat up hot 10mm loads like a champ. I'm sure there are others. I wouldn't be very trusting to polymer pistols chambered in 10mm though.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links