New Shotgun.....assistance paaaleaseeee

This is a discussion on New Shotgun.....assistance paaaleaseeee within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I finally decided on my first real shotgun tonight, I went with a Benelli Nova 12 gauge pump, and I have a couple of questions ...

Thread: New Shotgun.....assistance paaaleaseeee

I finally decided on my first real shotgun tonight, I went with a Benelli Nova 12 gauge pump, and I have a couple of questions because I am not very familiar with shotgun chokes etc. The gun came with a choke in the barrel, and a different one in the box.

1) The choke in the gun says "STEEL SHOT-OK-IC-****" all that I gather from this is that it is ok to shoot steel shot through this choke? What is this choke for?

2) The second choke (in the box) says "STEEL SHOT-OK-M***" What is this one for?

3) If I use this gun for hunting to they make a "turkey" choke?

4) Another reason I ask is because I bought 3 different types of shells to try through her this weekend. I bought some plain 7 1/2 shot skeet loads, Federal Low Recoil 00 Buck shot, some #4 Remington Buck Shot, and Federal Premium TruBall Rifled Slug. Do I leave the stock choke in the gun or take it out? What about when I use the slug???

Thanks everyone
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

I'm no expert on shotguns (just got my first shotgun not too long ago), but it seems that yours came with an Improved Cylinder (IC) and a Modified (M) chokes. Check out this link Recommended shot size, gauge, choke and barrel length for shotgun hunting
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

IC, Mod, Full, Turkey. IC = big hole. Mod = smaller hole. Full = even smaller hole. Turkey choke = really small hole. The smaller the hole, the tighter the shot group. Big holes for small fast targets in close. Smaller holes for slower or farther away targets. Don't use a full choke for slugs. Happy hunting.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRT600 View Post
    IC, Mod, Full, Turkey. IC = big hole. Mod = smaller hole. Full = even smaller hole. Turkey choke = really small hole. The smaller the hole, the tighter the shot group. Big holes for small fast targets in close. Smaller holes for slower or farther away targets. Don't use a full choke for slugs. Happy hunting.

Full or Mod for BG's coming into the house. IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Full or Mod for BG's coming into the house. IMHO
    Oh yeah. Forgot about that. Thanks Retsupt.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    The state game commission may limit shot size and type by animal. They do in Missouri.

Administrator
    The stars also will tell you what choke it is, thats the way European shotguns usually are marked. There should be a legend explaining the system in your owners manual.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Yes...they do make a "turkey" choke.

Keep in mind that when shooting steel shot, a more open choke will often give the better pattern. For instance, if you shoot lead shot with a full choke, you probably need to move to a Modified for steel. Since the steel shot is harder, it wont pack itself as well when moving through a tight choke and it often blows the pattern.

It is amazing to me how many people dont understand this. I have been duck hunting with lots of people that thought their full or extra full choke would be better for high flying ducks, when all it would do is scatter the shot and make a much bigger pattern than they needed.

I have several 3.5 shotguns. All of them pattern better with Modified Chokes when shooting steel.

As for buckshot, IC is the preffered choice and Modified does well in most guns too.

For slugs, most boxes reccomend Full or Modified, and will give better accuracy than IC. The slugs are sized small enough to work well without messing up the choke. I have a few boxes of Remington Slugs that even say on them, "Best results with Full Choke".

Dont try shooting a slug though anything tighter than a full choke though, I have seen several chokes stripped right out of the threads and thrown downrange because the choke was too tight. Not only is it dangerous, but it can and will tear up both the choke and the threads in the barrel. If you forget and happen to shoot a slug through a Turkey choke it is almost guaranteed that you will mess something up.

In all cases, you need to pattern your shotgun to see what works best. For slugs, rifle sights work best but if you dont have them once you figure out the point of impact and how to hold your bead, they can be suprising accurate.

You need to experiment with the various chokes and the load you will use to see what works best. Often times, the tightest choke dosent pattern as well as you think it might so you need to use various combinations of both choke and shot size to see what works.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    it goes

extra full (tighter)
    full
    modified
    improved cylinder (wider)

full is good for a lot of things like buckshot, slugs, and trap

The choke you use depends on what you are doing with it. the tighter choke will yield better distance but tighter shot pattern. The wider chokes will yield better pattern in a shorter distance.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    I finally decided on my first real shotgun tonight, I went with a Benelli Nova 12 gauge pump, and I have a couple of questions because I am not very familiar with shotgun chokes etc. The gun came with a choke in the barrel, and a different one in the box.

1) The choke in the gun says "STEEL SHOT-OK-IC-****" all that I gather from this is that it is ok to shoot steel shot through this choke? What is this choke for?

2) The second choke (in the box) says "STEEL SHOT-OK-M***" What is this one for?

3) If I use this gun for hunting to they make a "turkey" choke?

4) Another reason I ask is because I bought 3 different types of shells to try through her this weekend. I bought some plain 7 1/2 shot skeet loads, Federal Low Recoil 00 Buck shot, some #4 Remington Buck Shot, and Federal Premium TruBall Rifled Slug. Do I leave the stock choke in the gun or take it out? What about when I use the slug???

Thanks everyone
    The range of a shot gun can can be increases by reducing or "choking" the bore to a smaller diameter at the muzzle. Interchangeable choke tubes make it possible to easily make your shotgun more versatile with a screw-in choke tube without the need to change barrels.

If you just want a scatter gun, remove the choke tube all together. Hunters uses different types of choke tubes depennding on what game they intend to shoot in combination with what type of shot they fire.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

steel shot OK

Cyl means no choke.
    IC means just a little choke
    Mod means a medium amount of choke
    full means a lot of choke
    Turkey is a choke designhed to control larger shot sizes very tightly.

Steel Shot OK means the steel and heat treatment used to make the choke tube are strong enough to hold up to te impact of hard steel shot.

Choke is like a garden hose nozzle, it squeezes the shot a litle to make a better more uniform pattern.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

improved, modified, and full.... no one has mentioned, is how quickly the shot spreads out after it leaves the gun. Improved the widest, full the narrowest.
    In 30 ft the improved will have a wide pattern, the full will be narrow, and modified in between. The further away what ever you are shooting... the wider the spread will be ..... so for an improved, if you shoot something too far away there it will be harder to hit it and fewer shot per sq ft.

Senior Moderator
    To put it simply...

chokes are measured at a distance of 40 yards, on a target board that has a 30 inch diameter circle.

Cylinder Bore (no choke) will place 40% of its pellets in the circle at 40 yards.

Skeet will place 50% of its pellets in the circle at 40 yards

Improved Cylinder will place 55% of its pellets in the circle at 40 yards.

Modified is 60%

Improved Modified is 65%

and Full is 70%

Extra Full is 75%

and Turkey chokes range anywhere from 75-100% depending on the load used.

The amount of choke in a barrel is determined by subtracting the inside diameter of the choked area from the diameter of the bore, both measured with special gauges. Choke is considered Full if its choke diameter is .035 inches smaller than the bore.

Just because your gun delivers Modified (or whatever) performance with one load doesn't necessarily mean it will do the same with other loads. Also keep in mind that just because the barrel of a gun or its screw-in choke was marked "Modified" or "Improved Cylinder" at the factory does not mean it will deliver Modified or Improved Cylinder choke performance with all loads.

Different loads from various manufacturers or even different loads from the same manufacturer can vary Even though the load you just tested delivered Modified performance, another load might deliver Improved Cylinder performance while the next might perform as if your gun is choked either tighter or looser. Bottom line is shoot your gun at the paper with different loads and make your own determination of what choke and load is best suited for your shooting circumstances.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Excellent post HotGuns! Thanks.

Links