Buying my First gun, any suggestions?

This is a discussion on Buying my First gun, any suggestions? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I understand what Goodtime Charlie is saying about first handgun, not first defensive handgun. However, at 21, your protection is up to you, the time ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying my First gun, any suggestions?

VIP Member
    I understand what Goodtime Charlie is saying about first handgun, not first defensive handgun. However, at 21, your protection is up to you, the time to be buying your first handgun (such as a .22 or .22MAG), is gone. You need to be able to protect yourself if the need arises. This is why I say YOUR first handgun should be a defensive handgun.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Sixto usually knows what he speaks of....Boiled down, good brand, established model and moderate caliber. You wont get points from the bad guy for having a coole gun with a bigger hole to shoot him with. The biggies like Smith., SIG, Glock, Walther, Ruger, etc. should serve you well.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I will echo what others have said: read about the handguns you are interested in, try to rent them or otherwise shoot them before hand. Try to avoid a pawn shop if at all possible, better to drive a little out of your way to a sporting good shop or gun dealer. I also would not go down "route .22" for a defensive handgun; a .38 special revolver or 9mm pistol will serve you just fine

.22 for CC .................

If you are planning as you stated regarding getting your CC permit and your first pistol. My suggestion to you would be, get yourself a good quality 9mm for CC with a simple manual of arms like a Glock 26 or if your wallet can handle it a 9mm Sig. Do yourself a favor for the long run. Don't go to cheap, or you'll find yourself wanting to replace the pistol asap. If you start out in the moderate range and plan to buy for your CC needs i.e. deep concealment, IWB, OWB and so on, you'll come out ahead in the long run. The cheap starters end up costing more over time due to trading up and or selling low to gain funds for the better quality pistols.

If you are totally unfamiliar with firearms I'd say steer away for the autoloaders and buy a good revolver like the S&W 642 or maybe even a Taurus .38 that is rated for +ps. Sites like DC are great for information, but the caveat to that is, you find yourself inundated with information some good and some not so good that may pertain to your choice for CC. The negative stuff may have you rethinking your purchase and spur on the lack of confidence in your pistol. If you go with quality straight off, and the opinions shared by others will have little to no affect on what ever you end up with. FWIW

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

If possible, get marksmanship instruction from a qualified NRA instructor.

Those of us who have been shooting for a while (I started in 1958) see the same thing every time we go to the range. Shooters put up a full-size silhouette at 15 or 20 feet and blast away. They're happy to hit the paper every time. They can't shoot worth a damn and that's because they never actually learned how to shoot well. They don't know what trigger control, follow-through and calling the shot means. They sorta line up the sights, close both eyes and yank.

There are lots of good books on how to shoot a handgun. Go here:
    Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo! (Powered by Invision Power Board)
    for good advice.

Also, for basic through advanced pistol marksmanship training, I strongly recommend a good pellet pistol. One of my favorites is the Daisy 717, but there are several good ones available.
    You see, in order to become a really good pistol shot, as opposed to the people we see at the range who are happy with an 8" group at 20 feet, you have to master trigger control, follow-through and calling your shots. It's much easier to aquire those skills if the gun you're shooting has no recoil, is super quiet and is very cheap to shoot. A pellet pistol is all those things and you can shoot it in the house or garage. All you need for a backstop is a box of newspapers. Ammo is almost free.
    Pistols like the Daisy are pump-up (one pump) and there's no Co2 cost. Make sure you get one with adjustable sights.
    John
    Cape Canaveral

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Most pawn shops are overpriced and ill informed about handguns and weapons in general.
    That certainly has been my experience. Very frequently you will find that the pawn shop's price for a worn out handgun is more than a new one of the same brand and model at a gun dealer.

I recommend that he check out the large places like Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, and Academy Sports. They sometimes will have great prices. Although the specialty gun shops tend to have higher prices, they sometimes have great deals, and their employees may be more knowledgeable.

Now that he has made the decision to buy his first gun, the fun is in the gun education process.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

^ Depends. My local PS has a decent collection, yet, there are gun stores not far away.
    I'll disagree with the .22 as first also. Try as many as you can, go with what's comfortable.

Do what I did. Go for the most expensive, nicest looking guns you can find and buy it without test firing it. First gun was a sig sauer p220, second gun was a sig sauer p229, third gun was a kimber pro carry II stainless, fourth gun was a kimber cdp II pro. All coincidentally all top of the line guns. Did not know a thing about guns, but I did know one simple concept. If it looks good, its heavy metal, and it costs a lot. Its going to be a good buy 9/10x's. I was right. I did a lot of research after my first purchase though. I would say if your wanting my opinion. Don't spend 400-500.00 on a used gun. Save up a few extra hundred dollars, and buy a 8-900 dollar sig
    A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun.

No law ever prevented a crime.
    -Anonymous

A Fool refuses to protect himself, his family, and his home. - Me

Buy a Glock, they are already a 'proven' quality and you'll have few problems. For the price of a Kimber (I have two Kimbers) you can get a firearm (G-19 or 26...both 9mm), a nice holster, some ammo, and still have $$ left for a nice dinner for two (to celebrate).OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

well another problem I have is that money isn't excatly growing on trees around here...that beach front property in Nebraska I put up for sale hasn't found a buyer yet...

are there no reliable guns that are good to just start off with that arn't going to cost me over a grand? I didn't even give $1,000 for the car I drive, in fact it was right at $500 (damn good car by the way, that was one hell of a bargin) I just want something a bit stronger than a Pellet gun as one suggested, I've got about 4 pellet guns, 2 riffles 2 hand guns, one "airsoft" gun, great for shooting your friends with cuz it hurts just enough without breaking the skin as long as your VERY careful not to catch them in the eye, safty first and all that.

I know how to shoot pretty well as far as the air guns go, I'm actually a great shot with them, but that gives me no confidence with a real gun...anyways...

any good starter guns for under $500? or at least right at it...after looking at info I'd prefer a Single action revolver they seem to be the most simple to operate and care for...

is hoping for a good gun under $500 just a waste of time?

A good condition used Glock should go for just under your $ amount and will serve you well for years to come. If new is a must, Look at the Kahr CW series. I have the CW9 and would trust my life to its ability in a SD role. FWIW

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I would recommend a glock. why? lotsa' accessories/modifications, history/reliability/, cheap hicap mags, shoot any JHP pretty much reliably, easy to maintain. it does not need a "reliabililty package" some guns need. i shoot XDs, berettas, glocks, sigs, taurus, etc. after spending time and money on this hobby and/or obsession... for the money and peace of mind... I go back to glocks to defend the homestead. I am not glock snob on any stretch of the imagination; however, after looking at the emperical data, glocks win.

for example, if you get a glock 23 on a .40 - this gun is fairly shootable/concealable, you can get a conversion for 9 mm (cheaper ammo)/ .357 for about 120 bucks with lonewolf conversion barrels. you can use 33 rd, 15 rd, 13 rd mags that will run you about 18-20 bucks per mag. you can also get a .22 conversion "upper" to shoot .22s with. the pistol is easy to maintain. I never had a jam/ftf after shooting thousands of rounds in my glocks - i keep them well maintained. you can get reasonably sound police trades at around 350 bucks for glock 22/23s or less for earlier generation. you can "up" the size by going to g22 or go "down" with the glock 27.

the only big problem with getting your first firearm is that this firearm won't be the last one you will acquire. it then becomes somewhat of an obsession that we need to fulfill. sometimes I think I need an intervention to cure this obsession. I think that most members in this forum can attest to this medical affliction.

good luck with your choices. semper gumby.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

My first gun was a Ruger P85, which Ruger built to bid on the US Army contract. Ultimately, they lost out to Beretta, who won the government business with the 92F.

I strongly recommend the Ruger P series (P85, P89), if you can find one used. In 20+ years of shooting mine, the gun never failed to go bang regardless of what I fed it. It was easy to maintain and easy to shoot. A clean used example shouldn't cost you more than $300 - $400.

I don't know much about their new P95 series, which features a polymer frame instead of an aluminum one. Give my past experience with Ruger, I have to believe they're every bit as good as the old P series guns. Best of all is that they fit your price range: the "high end" 15+1 version in stainless has a list price of $424.00.

I own two Glocks at the moment and love them both. I think there are better choices for a first gun, especially if concealed carry isn't your primary reason for purchase. Here's my reasoning:

- Glocks have no external safeties, and I believe it's good to learn gun handling with an external safety pistol. Should you opt to go with a Glock later on, it's easier to forget the 'safety off' move than it is to learn it (if, for example, you were going from a Glock to a 1911). Note: this is my OPINION only.

- Lead bullets will foul Glock barrels, so only copper jacketed bullets are recommended for use in Glocks. Not a big deal since most ammo is copper jacketed these days, but it does limit your options.

- Generally speaking, a heavier gun minimizes felt recoil. This gives you better control and can help build confidence.

Good luck with your decision. The right gun is out there, just take your time to do the research before you make a purchase.

As I'm a "revolver guy" who just happens to love semi-automatics about as much, I'd recommend starting out with a double-action revolver with a four-inch minimum-length barrel, probably a .38 Special caliber.

If you're going to purchase a gun for carry, take your time and purchase the right gun. I purchased a gun back in January fairly quickly, not understanding what makes a good gun for carry.

For carry, I'd buy a 9mm. I'd look at different types (hammer vs striker) and I'd take weight and grip length into consideration. Weight/grip length are the most important things in the context of carry. Do it right and buy a good gun to start. I suggest a Glock 19 or a M&P9 fullsize or compact. Also don't be afraid to buy used, in fact a used gun will get you the best value.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links