Buying my First gun, any suggestions?

This is a discussion on Buying my First gun, any suggestions? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm going to go along with the other .22 recomendations. I really think the sig mosquito has alot going for it because it has the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying my First gun, any suggestions?

I'm going to go along with the other .22 recomendations. I really think the sig mosquito has alot going for it because it has the same controls as the 226. This would make the transition overto a larger caliber easier. Also a .22 semi auto loaded up with CCI velocitors would be nothing to sneaze at as far as a defensive gun. JMHO
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post
    I would recommend a glock. why? lotsa' accessories/modifications, history/reliability/, cheap hicap mags, shoot any JHP pretty much reliably, easy to maintain. it does not need a "reliabililty package" some guns need. i shoot XDs, berettas, glocks, sigs, taurus, etc. after spending time and money on this hobby and/or obsession... for the money and peace of mind... I go back to glocks to defend the homestead. I am not glock snob on any stretch of the imagination; however, after looking at the emperical data, glocks win.

for example, if you get a glock 23 on a .40 - this gun is fairly shootable/concealable, you can get a conversion for 9 mm (cheaper ammo)/ .357 for about 120 bucks with lonewolf conversion barrels. you can use 33 rd, 15 rd, 13 rd mags that will run you about 18-20 bucks per mag. you can also get a .22 conversion "upper" to shoot .22s with. the pistol is easy to maintain. I never had a jam/ftf after shooting thousands of rounds in my glocks - i keep them well maintained. you can get reasonably sound police trades at around 350 bucks for glock 22/23s or less for earlier generation. you can "up" the size by going to g22 or go "down" with the glock 27.

the only big problem with getting your first firearm is that this firearm won't be the last one you will acquire. it then becomes somewhat of an obsession that we need to fulfill. sometimes I think I need an intervention to cure this obsession. I think that most members in this forum can attest to this medical affliction.

good luck with your choices. semper gumby.
    I understod about...none of that...

all those mods sound nice, but I have no idea what the hell any of it means, a gun with THAT many specs and mods would most likely confuse the hell outta me as a first gun choice...

I dunno, there are a ton of diff brands and choices and servarl diff specs out there...

as i said, I think I'll just have to go with a SA Revolver, because with all of the reaserch I've done, they still seem to be the most SIMPLE gun out there, simple to load, simple to maintain, simple to shoot, clean, and with the choice of lower Cal ammo, simple to own.

now I just have to find a good one for under $500

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadeDeciple View Post
    I understod about...none of that...

all those mods sound nice, but I have no idea what the hell any of it means, a gun with THAT many specs and mods would most likely confuse the hell outta me as a first gun choice...

I dunno, there are a ton of diff brands and choices and servarl diff specs out there...

as i said, I think I'll just have to go with a SA Revolver, because with all of the reaserch I've done, they still seem to be the most SIMPLE gun out there, simple to load, simple to maintain, simple to shoot, clean, and with the choice of lower Cal ammo, simple to own.

now I just have to find a good one for under $500

Actually, IMO, a Double Action revolver is easier to shoot, and all other seems to be the same as the SA. Just my opinion.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

SA, DA, doesn't really matter, I kinda like the idea of having to ready the hammer myself and as far as the general mechanics of the gun, a Single action would be easier to reassemble after I took the gun apart, which I defently would.

"know your weapon inside and out".

I bought a used S&W revolver (686, a .357 magnum stainless steel, no internal lock) for $500, one of the simplest weapons around, just about any revolver is actually.
    Heavy enough to soak up the recoil and quite accurate.

Smile

so, I turn 21 this comming up year and instead of the useal Drunken vomitting ongoings most new 21 year olds go through, I'm using that special day to purchace my first handgun and obtain my licence. (maybe not All in the same week, but definitly within the same month)

so as this will be the first firearm I'll purchace I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a good stable first handgun?

I've never owned of even operated a firearm before (other than air rifles, Co2 and such, I mostly prefer knives being previously too young to legally carry gun) so I want something...I guess a good way of putting it would be, with "training wheels" something afforadbale, easy to use, but still good for practical self defence.

I'm already looking into shooting ranges in my area and I've read and reviewed Firearm care and safty manuels, now all I need is a good idea of a first gun...

my plan thus far is just to visit local pawn shops until I find a sutible one...as I know nothing about guns...
    I want to reinforce all the advice given so far and put strong preference on "BEING PATIENT". You're only 22 and you'll probably get hooked just like I did the first time. You have lots of time to investigate all the areas of interest. I just started about a year ago and you wouldn't believe the amount money I could have saved if I'd had a little patience.
    Have fun & Good Luck to ya'

Jack
    SEMPER FI
    Life member: DAV
    Life member: USMC
    Life member: MOPH
    Member: NRA
    Life member: VVA

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    You could buy a 357 Mag revolver and shoot 38 Specials out of it. You could buy a CZ and get the Cadet 22lr conversion kit for it.

If you are truly going to take it completely apart, remember revolvers are actually more mechanically complex than semi-auto pistols.

My first was a S&W 686P-6" revolver.

Product: Model 686 Plus Revolver - 6", 7-Shot

Ignore the list prices that see on manufacturers web site... The market price is lower.

That was most similar to my Dad's nightstand gun, was the first hand gun that I ever shot, and is my nightstand gun.

IMHO 3" and 4" barrell lengths are also great choices.

.38 ammo is plentiful and inexpensive to practice with and not a bad defensive round. And then the .357 makes a pretty darn good defensive round.

There is just nothing more reliable, accurate and SIMPLE to operate and to maintain than a great revolver.

so, I turn 21 this comming up year and instead of the useal Drunken vomitting ongoings most new 21 year olds go through, I'm using that special day to purchace my first handgun and obtain my licence.:
    Holy !! You're just 21 and thinking like this! Would you like a job?? Congrats to your parents btw. Well, to answer your question, IMO I would start off with a good ol' 38 special or 38 / 357 combo revolver at first. (Start with the 38's then when you get comfortable with the recoil of an actual firearm you can step it up to 357.) Both are good for a SD carry too. If I were you though, make sure you not only read about gun safety, but also go to the range with someone who either KNOWS guns and can show you or hook up with a rangemaster to learn. There are TONS of things that you will not learn from a book! Everyone is different and a lot of ranges allow you to "rent" a firearm to try it out before you make a final decision on what you're most comfortable with. Good luck and keep us posted on your firearm / license progress!!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

What part of Georgia are you in? Maybe we got someone close enough to mentor you and let you shoot some different guns...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links