Range Vent-Report

This is a discussion on Range Vent-Report within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I didn't see a section for range reports so I decided general firearm discussion was the best fitting section for this topic. Well as you ...

Thread: Range Vent-Report

Range Vent-Report

I didn't see a section for range reports so I decided general firearm discussion was the best fitting section for this topic.
    Well as you can already tell this is going to be a range report. It has some good report, and some bad report. Lets start off with the good. Most people want to hear the good news first. So the good report is I shot my 500th round out of my sig sauer p229 9mm two-tone without ever having any issues whatsoever of any kind. I put new hogue grips on which I love the feel, and the thinness of. This gun is my baby. I would never trade it in nor sell it. It is my carry gun.
    Now for the bad report. ....
    I go to the local conveniently overpriced firing range that I've been going for quite sometime now. I'm known here, and they replace their staff almost weekly, but there are 1-2 guys who have been working there since I've been going there. They hire a "range officer" thats what he called himself anyways. They were having a concealed weapons class and they were shooting to qualify. There was only one lane open in the range left. I look to see if there were any more available lanes, and there wasn't the old timer who likes to speak his mind comes up to me even after I picked the last remaining lane and settled that this was the only lane left over. I respond rather politely ok, thanks. He continues to tell me again that this was the only spot again. I respond, ok thanks I see that. That was it temporarily. I start shooting, and its about 50 degrees right now in tampa FL. Where I live and thats cold for florida. They have a vent for every lane, and its blowing right on me. I'm shaking cause I'm so cold with this vent as I'd like to call it air blower. It was the air from outside too, so it was blowing 50 degree air on me. I didn't want to get sick as it is, but anyways. So I'm rather fidgedy cause of how cold it was. I load up and I can see the old guy is standing behind me watching. I don't really care too much, but its distracting. Your bound to mess up more when someone is standing behind you waiting to critique you and I could tell this was one of those guys. I was right. The guy starts asking me about my ammo and starts touching my stuff getting between me and my guns. I'm starting to get pissed cause I got 2 out of the three guns out and all my ammo and magazines lying. I don't know if this guys got sticky fingers, and I didn't ask for this. I tell him how much and he stands back again. I put my gun down and he comes up and starts touching my trigger on my kimber. Its loaded and its on safety, hes touching it rather hard as well. He says you had your finger on the trigger when you put it down. First off how can you see where my finger was I'm about as wide as the lane is (6'0" 305lb weightlifter) second off your touching the trigger right now and a lot more firm than I could have possibly been touching it. I'm very cautious about a loaded weapon as all should be. So I tell him, the safety is on. He goes oh ok, well still. I was like ok thanks. I continue shooting and I go on to the sig sauer p229. I almost have no recoil shooting this gun. This is a blast for me to shoot. I can follow up shots with 9mm very rapidly and most would consider it rapid firing without even aiming. He goes hey are you aiming for the middle I go yeah, look at the target the group is all in the middle and no stragglers. Hes like oh ok, I was just making sure. This time I'm more than annoyed and I let it show a little. I tell him I'm not part of the class . He goes I know but I'm the range officer, like I'm supposed to get intimidated. I say I know this, but I'm not asking for your input. He goes well I thought you would like to know. I respond promptly if I want to know I'll ask . He reponds fair enough. Case over. Well what irritated me even more was my kimber cdp II which is still in breaking period had 1 jam today. I was hoping to make it to 300 rounds without any jams, and I know kimber has a breakin period where its expected to have some jams within the first 200-400 rounds or so. To top it off when I went to the counter to buy some more rounds so I can have some hollow points for my 9mm (shot the ones I had in the mag previously out) They were giving me poor service the guy walked away when I asked him for more ammo. I don't want to go into too much detail about that, but I've noticed the more often I show up the worst the service gets, as if they know I'm already going to buy from them. I know the owner of the place and hes nice as can be.. a little pricey but its worth it for the service and quality of the firearms. I'm now pondering if I really want to go back there any more. Their close but I live in FL where there are 2 things you can always find.. Strip Clubs and GunShops. Not that they should be associated with one another, but thats just Florida for you, we like our guns, and women here I guess. This is my range report vent. But on a good note to finish it off. I bought a 15 round magazine for my sig p229 that fits just like my 13 round mag (not extended on the bottom) shot well and I think I'm good to go with it considering it shot perfect 50/50 and its made by mec-gar (same company that makes the sig sauer standard mags)
    A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun.

No law ever prevented a crime.
    -Anonymous

A Fool refuses to protect himself, his family, and his home. - Me

2. Remove Ads

Sorry to hear of "pros" telling you what to don't want to hear.
    If you have the opportunity, take your business elsewhere.

I would have had a few choice words for him a lot sooner once he started reaching for my firearms, "range officer" or not...
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

I don't care who he is or says he is, don't touch my weapons unless you ask. I don't like anyone standing behind me uninvited.

You handled it far better than I would have.

Agreed... Same here. You definitely handled it better than I... I would have been handling something for sure when someone I don't know at the least, is twiddling with my firearms.

The irritating critiquing can be dealt with, but futzing with my guns and within my personal space and I don't know you is a WHOLE DIFFERENT matter.

PS... Paragraphs man... Paragraphs
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

To be honest I really wanted to let off on this guy, but he was an elder and I didn't want to look like the bad guy. I don't think I'm going to go to this range for a while. I'm going to start looking for other places soon. They have an outside range in a few counties away and I might look into going there in a few weeks. Haven't shot in an outside range yet so that will give me more incentive to ditch this place for a while and make them appreciate me as a customer if I decide to go back.
    A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun.

No law ever prevented a crime.
    -Anonymous

A Fool refuses to protect himself, his family, and his home. - Me

I feel for you. I really do. Been there. You'll find better....you need to. It's only a matter of time. Leave all that BS behind you. Shooting is not only a sport of self-discipline, it's also very therapeutic and relaxing. Less salt in your diet, and less idgets at the range will help lower your blood pressure, or keep it from going up. I'll say a prayer for you today, in hopes of a better environment for you to do what you must. Good luck with it all.

Meant to say earlier, but you may want to mention this to the owner. He needs to know that he's loosing business over these matters. You're much more tolerant than I, and I've quit going to places for less, but if you like the place and it's close (a couple counties away for another seems too long), then I'd let him know. Just a thought...
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

Quote Originally Posted by uncballzer View Post
    Meant to say earlier, but you may want to mention this to the owner. He needs to know that he's loosing business over these matters. You're much more tolerant than I, and I've quit going to places for less, but if you like the place and it's close (a couple counties away for another seems too long), then I'd let him know. Just a thought...
    I agree. You could nicely mention it to the owner. No need for you to have to go elsewhere. Just say what is on your mind. The worst that can happen is for him to tell you to go some place else and you are already thinking about doing that anyway. What do you have to loose?

Regarding the dude fingering your stuff.

Next time turn toward him. Stand shoulders back, chin up. Look him in the eye. Tell him in a firm, but calm voice, "GET AWAY FROM ME...................NOW."

As far as the service goes, talk to the owner in a polite and respectable manner, explaining your concerns.

OKAY, a couple of MAJOR points>

1) IF the guy is a RO, whats he doing next to you while your shooting???he should stay behind the firing line until and "all clear" is sounded

2) IF the guy is a RO, why was he touching you firearm WHILE IT'S LOADED. That right there would have me inside talking to the owner about getting this guy removed as a RO. That alone is call for dismissal.

3) YOU should have told him to step back and to NOT bother you while shooting UNLESS your doing something unsafe. I don't care if the guy is a senior or not. he is the RO (supposedly) he should know better.

4) IF he is the RO, why is he solely focused on YOU, he should be watching all lanes, especially with a class going on.

I have all kinds of problems with this RO
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Some folks are jist natural helpers.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Links