Got a couple of new guns recently

This is a discussion on Got a couple of new guns recently within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got a couple of new guns recently and thought I would share the joy! An oldie but a goodie, Mauser Broomhandle with stock. This gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a couple of new guns recently

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar

Got a couple of new guns recently and thought I would share the joy!

An oldie but a goodie, Mauser Broomhandle with stock. This gun has seen better days, I just got a new extractor and some other pieces to repair it. Gun cost $400 with 250 rds of ammo, the stock came off of E-bay and is likely a replica or rebuild. When fully repaired and checked, I hope to do a range report on this one. This gun has always been on my wish list and hopefully will be joined by a Luger in the near future.

Almost new G26 with Crimson trace laser. The extended barrel is to meet Canadian legal requirements, funny, it does not make it harder to conceal, but actually improves terminal effects by increasing M/V. Better not tell the anti’s or they will choke on their own cud. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet due to family health issues keeping me from straying to far and the range is a hour away. Will have to find a better holster for it.

Nice guns! I've always been enamored with the Broomhandles...very neat! Should be fun to tinker with.

Sweet. Somehow I knew when you mentioned a couple of new guns, that one of them had to be a Glock.

Very nice pickup on the Mauser. A true classic.

+1 on getting a real holster for the Glock

Congratulations
    Rick

Gun owners' prayer:
    "Dear Lord; if I die please don't let my wife sell my gun collection...........for what I told her it was worth"

VIP Member
    Nice Mauser, a great piece of history, picked up one myself a while back but have not got the stock for it yet. Unfortunately when it took it to the range I found the chamber and barrel were worn out. After the first of the year it will get shipped of here Redman's Rifling & Reboring: Mauser Broomhandle Barrel Restoration to have the barrel and chamber relined.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

a couple of more pictures of the Broomhandle

So anyone tried CCW with a broomhandle yet? Imagine if someone sees it printing, you can say: "Gee it's only my broomhandle" At which point the person will likely think that it's something else, turn red and walk away quickly!!!

Senior Moderator
    Very nice.

I have always liked the Broomhandles.

400 is the cheapest I have seen in years. Around here you usually cant touch one for less than 800.

Also, you can not put the stock on it without the 200 tax stamp for a short barreled rifle. Crazy I know, but you dont have that restriction in Canada right?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Hotguns
    That's right, one of the few things we have over you guys is the lack of "tax stamps and your destructive devices laws"

Got the G26 out on the range last weekend and today. It is an accurate gun for the size, the gun happily ate lead RN reloads, FMJ, TMJ, UMC 115gr JHP, Golden Sabers in 147gr and Speer Golddots in 124gr. I notice that the CTC laser slowly creeps over a period of shooting, anyone else have this issue?

Today I did "Canadian carry draws" from concelled, since we are not allowed to carry a loaded gun at home, but can have a loaded mag on the belt. I practiced move to cover, draw the gun and the mag, load and fire one shot, assess target. Repeat and repeat till it went smoothly. I must say I hate the Glock trigger, I find the safety hard on the fingers and will always use a glove to shoot this pistol.

After shooting the G26, shooting my 229 was heaven. I really was impressed with the Speer Golddots, they shoot great out of my G26 and 229, I think they will be my main HD load. At $35 a bx of 50, they cost more than the UMC JHP I have been using, but less than the Golden Saber at $35 a bx of 25.

I put a new extractor and safety on the Broomhandle, but misplaced the spring, follower and floor plate, cursing myself as I really want to shoot it!

Got another new toy, a 1936 Geman Luger, this would have been made by Mauser. Took it out shooting, very accurate, but man what a hair trigger, no take up at all! I hate the aftermarket mags that came with it, hard to load more than 5 rds. Anyone have a snaildrum they don't want. Apparently they are exempt from our 10rd mag limit!!!!

here it is with my C96

I'll look right past Glocks to feast my eyes on Broomhandle Mausers and Lugers.

Great stuff there! Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post

Today I did "Canadian carry draws" from concelled, since we are not allowed to carry a loaded gun at home, but can have a loaded mag on the belt. I practiced move to cover, draw the gun and the mag, load and fire one shot, assess target.

God Bless America
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Very nice.

I have always liked the Broomhandles.

400 is the cheapest I have seen in years. Around here you usually cant touch one for less than 800.

Also, you can not put the stock on it without the 200 tax stamp for a short barreled rifle. Crazy I know, but you dont have that restriction in Canada right?
    IIRC, the 1895 Mauser Broomhandle is one of the few exemptions to the pistol with stock=SBR rule.

Artillery Lugers are another.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member
    Do you have the (an) original holster for the broomhandle and if so could you post a pic?

That is a beautiful gun.

Bfunk, CCW and open bush carry was very common in Canada up till the early 60's

The C96 stock/holster is an aftermarket reproduction.

One of the few things we have up here over you guys is none of that Title III "destructive device" silliness, you can make quite a few mods to guns without any concerns.

sweet guns

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links