Should I or shouldn't I

Should I or shouldn't I

This is a discussion on Should I or shouldn't I within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been thinking about picking up a stainless 226 for mostly IDPA. It's getting rather expensive to shoot my 1911s that much. I have an ...

Thread: Should I or shouldn't I

Should I or shouldn't I

I've been thinking about picking up a stainless 226 for mostly IDPA. It's getting rather expensive to shoot my 1911s that much. I have an aversion to running Wolf in my 1911s for some reason. I meet a fella today with a 226 ST but the trade didn't work out.
    I called around and found a used 226 Elite with the SRT trigger and night sights, which would be perfect for IDPA.
    the only thing I'm willing to part with in the safe is a Desert Warrior. I've only got 7 1911s right now. I DW used to be the nightstand gun, but it was retired when the Nighthawk GRP came to live with me...so the DW basically is a safe queen right now. Seems like the used value on each gun is approx. the same.
    I have a "normal" 226, but I like the added weight of the stainless for IDPA.

Decisions...decisions. I like Sigs, but I'm not up to speed on the "elites" Are there any downsides to them?
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

why not reload your own

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    I've been thinking about picking up a stainless 226 for mostly IDPA. It's getting rather expensive to shoot my 1911s that much. I have an aversion to running Wolf in my 1911s for some reason. I meet a fella today with a 226 ST but the trade didn't work out.
    I called around and found a used 226 Elite with the SRT trigger and night sights, which would be perfect for IDPA.
    the only thing I'm willing to part with in the safe is a Desert Warrior. I've only got 7 1911s right now. I DW used to be the nightstand gun, but it was retired when the Nighthawk GRP came to live with me...so the DW basically is a safe queen right now. Seems like the used value on each gun is approx. the same.
    I have a "normal" 226, but I like the added weight of the stainless for IDPA.

Decisions...decisions. I like Sigs, but I'm not up to speed on the "elites" Are there any downsides to them?
    Why not buya Dillons SDB in 45 ACP and reload?
    Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Yep, I'd do it, but then I'm spending YOUR money.
    Actualy, I'd spend my money to do it too.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't shoot IDPA, but my impression of the game is to practice shooting with your concealed carry system to improve your odds in a real life gunfight. So, I guess what you need to ask yourself is, do you shoot IDPA for competition, or for real life training? If you are shooting for competition (that is, just to play a "game") then buy and shoot whatever gives you an edge in the game. But if you are shooting IDPA for real life training, then it seems logical to me that you should shoot your carry gun. Only you know what your priorities are.
    Obligation of Carry by Nutnfancy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gIHDHZf1TA

check out Summit Gun Broker He has a few all stainless and some elites in, last time I checked.
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Reloading is the only thing the wife has said no to. Something about needing my hands in one piece to work :-) I've tried to explain the process...but I'm not going to push the issue.
    IDPA is fun, it does help in self decense situations, but it's a game. The basics of the motions will not change (expect swiping the safety off) sight picture, double taps, etc will be the same (except for the DA 1st round)
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Senior Moderator
    I say go for it.

Although it wont be cheap, it'll be worth it.
    It'll never be any cheaper than it is today...ecpecially with the present administration's love to hate.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Well...crap. I drove out there , about an hour. The Stainless Elite 9mm, SFt trigger, and those oddball shelf sig night sights used was 999.00. It doesn't have the stainless frame.

What I want is a FULL stainless 226 with night sights and the SRt trigger. I can save 100.00 per case of ammo between 9mm and 45 ACP (according the the prices I saw today.
    It's not much, every bit helps

Last time I went to the shooting range I rented a 226 and I loved it. If sig only made a compact 9mm with a double stack mag I would be all over it. Although I do like the intimidatin' look of the beefier gun
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    Last time I went to the shooting range I rented a 226 and I loved it. If sig only made a compact 9mm with a double stack mag I would be all over it. Although I do like the intimidatin' look of the beefier gun
    Check out the P228 or P229

They are compact when compared to the 226, but to when compared to a Glock 26
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by D Strokes View Post
    Check out the P228 or P229

They are compact when compared to the 226, but to when compared to a Glock 26
    I had looked into them before, but didn't realize they were the same size as the glock 19. That's funny.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

heh...glad I held out. Went by one of the more expensive places today to see what they had.
    Walked out with a Sig 229 elite Stainless with the SRT trigger and night sights.
    Traded in a well worn Desert Warrior for a grand. Ended up paying 199.00 for the Sig.

Sponsored Links