kahr smal autos?

This is a discussion on kahr smal autos? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Iv been looking at the compact kahrs in a gun store. i dont usaly shop at .I was told there that there verry reliabl. now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kahr smal autos?

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar

kahr smal autos?

Iv been looking at the compact kahrs in a gun store. i dont usaly shop at .I was told there that there verry reliabl. now at the store where i usaly shop because i get a good deal they tell me its a chunk of junk was woundering what you all think . i am looking at the 40 and the 45 . would be gratefull for any help . i can see that the sigma will be difacult to carry this summer need some thing smaller

2. Remove Ads

My PM9 is very reliable only one stovepipe in 1000+ rounds. Kahr does recommend a breakin period of 200 rounds. Beacuse it is so concealable this is the gun I end up carrying the most.

Not a piece of junk.

My wife carries the MK9. I've put just over 500 rounds or so through it and it's a nice piece of hardware. I had a few hiccups during the break-in period but have had nothing but excellent results since then. The only real issue was that the slide would hang up when chambering a round using the slingshot method. Dropping the slide using the slide catch worked without any problems. Not a deal breaker by any means and other than that small niggle, the gun is excellent and a great CCW piece. I would bet my life on it and that's all that matters.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

do a serch for kahr they have been a lot of threads in the last little while way to many for me to link to on dial up which im struck with lately

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My experiance is Kahrs are one of the brands/actions that polorise folks , they either love them or hate them. Kind of like Glocks or 1911s i suppose LOL . I carry a pm9 for primairy ccw gun so it goes without saying i trust it to go bang when i need it to . I can relyably hit clay pidgens thrown on a bank with it @ 20+ yards so it shoots where it looks for me lol . Kahrs do need 200+ rounds put thro them before you use them for a defensive tool tho, I am not shure why but they need to " wear inn " a bit , mine exibited a tendancy to fail to fully return to battery in the first 150 or so rounds easily remidyed but annoying , after about 150 rds its been 100%. I do keep it clean and well lubed with break free since the little pocket rocket seems to prefer to run " wet" . Kahrs are not for everyone imho , they ( especialy the sub compact pm/mk series ) are susceptable to weak wristing and will sull up on a person who does not hang onto them . once the break inn is done mine at least will basicly eat any jacketed bullet i can poke into the mag . I have not tried lead or copper washed rounds because of the polygonal rifleing that combined with lead rounds has created some issues in other brands ( the economy models have standard rifleing and can shoot the lead rounds ). In summation i like my little pocket rocket so well i just bought a p9 off a friend to wear on the ranch where i occationaly need to shoot vermin .. hope the info helps ya decide

edited to add the lube points just in case

Last edited by Redneck Repairs; April 29th, 2006 at 06:47 PM.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I know a lot of people who don't like the kahr pistols, but I've never heard them refered to as junk... Hard to beat for CCW, if you ask me. Reliable, better than average DAO triggers.. their only fault is the low round count, which you trade for a thinner, lighter gun.

I'm going to end up with one in 9 before long, but I haven't bought one yet.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

VIP Member
    Great photo there Red.

It's no secret on this forum (since I keep talking the product line up) that I LOVE my three Kahrs (P45, P9 Covert and PM9):

USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

i now have the pm9, the p9 ( which i may yet covert out lol ) and i got a line on a p45 just as soon as i can put the $$ togeather lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

VIP Member
    ....whenever Kahr comes around to producing their "PM45" (or whatever it will be called) I may be at the head of the line for that one.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

You do know that an amt .45 backup mag with a slight mod will work and you can create your own dont ya LOL

I have a Kahr P9. Love it. Trust it. Can shoot accuratly with it. You won't be disappointed.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    thanks for all the info guys once agine you all helped me out orderd the 45apc from the gun shop i dont usaly shop at and talked em down a few bucks

I know a lot of people who don't like the kahr pistols, but I've never heard them refered to as junk...
    Given the problems we've had with them at the shop, we won't special order the brand. It's the *only* company's products we will *not* carry - given my personal AO/Kahr debacle and a half dozen other customers with similar horror stories here locally.

I know people have had good luck with them, but we won't handle the company or any of its related products period any more based on our small sample of hell.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I know a lot of people who don't like the kahr pistols, but I've never heard them refered to as junk...
    Given the problems we've had with them at the shop, we won't special order the brand. It's the *only* company's products we will *not* carry - given my personal AO/Kahr debacle and a half dozen other customers with similar horror stories here locally.

I know people have had good luck with them, but we won't handle the company or any of its related products period any more based on our small sample of hell.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    rfurtkamp...

can you elaborate? or at least point us to a thread where you described the issues? I've shot a buddy's in .40, and liked it, despite the fact that it hurts your hands after more then 25 rounds (I helped him break it in...)

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links