What Colt is best for me??

This is a discussion on What Colt is best for me?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It seems allot here carry Colts. I was thinking of getting a Springfield but I like the idea of buying a 100% American made gun. ...

Thread: What Colt is best for me??

It seems allot here carry Colts. I was thinking of getting a Springfield but I like the idea of buying a 100% American made gun. I know nothing about Colts. I look at them I see 80 series 70 series Pre 70 series. I have to say i'm lost. I would like a full size Colt a 1911. Then I read a 1911 and I think a 1991 are the same inside. I was thinking of a Colt XSE 1911 in SS. Is that a good choice or is their a Colt I could get that would fit my needs for less then the XSE costs? Like I say i'm lost when it comes to Colts and need some advice from people who carry Colts. One more thing how is the service dept and how long a warranty does Colt give you. Springfield is a lifetime is Colt the same? Thanks Chuck (Arizona)

Pick the one you like the best if money werent a option i would got series 70 granted it dont have all the goodies but it dont have the firing pin block

series 80s are better than most think i have one works fine but ya dont need all the extra junk

as for the xse my knowledge is lacking

Quote Originally Posted by lostone1413
    It seems allot here carry Colts. I was thinking of getting a Springfield but I like the idea of buying a 100% American made gun. I know nothing about Colts. I look at them I see 80 series 70 series Pre 70 series. I have to say i'm lost. I would like a full size Colt a 1911. Then I read a 1911 and I think a 1991 are the same inside. I was thinking of a Colt XSE 1911 in SS. Is that a good choice or is their a Colt I could get that would fit my needs for less then the XSE costs? Like I say i'm lost when it comes to Colts and need some advice from people who carry Colts. One more thing how is the service dept and how long a warranty does Colt give you. Springfield is a lifetime is Colt the same? Thanks Chuck (Arizona)
    to oversimplify a bit:

Series 70 guns were produced, basically, during the 1970's and lacked the FP block safety. Nice guns but generally command a price premium now.

Pre-series 70's are those guns that were produced between the post WWI Colt Commercial model and the series 70. Basically collectables.

In the early 1980's Colt developed the FP block safety and released them as Series 80 guns.

Colt added some custom touches and premium parts as released the XS series. Very popular, very nice guns that now command a good premium.

The late '80s/early '90s saw Colt struggling financially and there were some supply problems with vendors. The XS down was dowgraded a bit in customization and gradually lead to the XSE Series. Still nice guns and pricey but not quite up to XS standards.

The 1991 is a retro/military design (like the SA Mil-Spec) that was released as a basic, entry level 1911 using the Series 80 FP block. Personally, I think they're good solid guns that function well as-is or as a base gun for a custom build up.

Colt's current "Series 70" is a repro gun that's built to roughly the same specs as the original series 70. To me they cost a bit too much for what they are but if you're looking for a user or range gun that HAS to be a Colt and HAS to have series 70 parts I guess the 70 repro would fit the bill.

If I were looking for a "user" Colt on a budget I'd get a 1991 and maybe change one or two things (grip safety and hammer). On a bigger budget, I'd get an XSE that already has some nice custom touches (Ducktail grip safety, Commander hammer, better sights, etc).

Hope that helps some,
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I, in fact, prefer Kimber to any other. I own two of them. Now, I do own two colts...but that is because of the 1911 syndrome which I have required, and to this point, there is no known cure.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Links