How do I obtain a UPIN to speed up background checks?

This is a discussion on How do I obtain a UPIN to speed up background checks? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A 150 days? Man I have been waiting for about 46 days now.I still have not recieved a UPIN number or any paperwork from the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I obtain a UPIN to speed up background checks?

A 150 days? Man I have been waiting for about 46 days now.I still have not recieved a UPIN number or any paperwork from the FBI yet.

2. Remove Ads

Nice! I checked the mail today and wallah! I had a large manila envelop in my my mail box today from the FBI. I have recieved my UPIN #. now I can start the work on getting a SBR tax stamp and turn my Krink into what it was designed to be.

Lets see, today is 5-10 and I mailed off my request the 1st week of January. So roughly a 130 - 140 days and I got my UPIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    What was odd was them walking it outside and only handing it over to me once I was outside the store. Yeah, that's a safety measure that makes sense.
    They did that at Wally World when I bought a Rossi 22/410 for my son. They also don't allow you to buy ammo and a gun at the same time. I had to take the gun to the car and then go back for the ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sir View Post
    They did that at Wally World when I bought a Rossi 22/410 for my son. They also don't allow you to buy ammo and a gun at the same time. I had to take the gun to the car and then go back for the ammo.
    Reminds me of the other day when I was at the Guns West gunshow in Portland OR. The security guy that checks your firearms before you go in locked the slide back on my buddies G-21 with a white plastic zip tie and muttered, "I don't know why they make us do this because it is not gonna do much if someone decides to cause a problem." We both chuckled and thought the same thing.

Yes! Just got off the phone with the ATF and they are sending out my 5320.1 PK forms for a SBR!

Good to hear ; ) I had a problem with petty crap 30 yrs ago, They made mistake,Lord help you if you make a mistake they just make TYPOS we make mistakes :-(
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

My thing is.....

I have a Tn carry permit, and an 03 FFL, yet sometimes still have problems. figure that out.....
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sir View Post

The reason is that some dude bought a gun and some ammo at WW a few years back, then walked a couple isles over and loaded it and blew his brains out.

Now you can only kill yourself once in the parking lot I guess. easier to clean up the mess I suppose.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Wink Been through this because of Californai DOJ - it's a nightmare

I know this is an old thread, but this will be a timeless problem. I live in WI and every time I have purchased a weapon through an FFL (Gun Store), I am told the same thing "There is a delay on approval because of 'something' in the Californian DOJ". The first time this happened I was buying a Glock and the shop kept telling me to check back in a week, check back in a week, finally on the last day before the check expired, they called to check and told me there was another delay - so of course, it expired. When I asked what to do now, they told me I had to repeat the damn process all over again, but this time the shop would cover the application fee. Again, another delay because of 'something' in the CA DOJ.

The second time, I was purchasing a Saiga shotgun, and since it was a long gun, if the dealer get no response back within 72 hours (I think), they can let you leave with the gun. Of course, if approved you can walk with it that day. As expected, a hold was placed and I was told to check back in 72 hours because they would be able to release the gun to me at precisely 2:13 pm. I showed up at 2 on the said day, and they gave me the gun at 2:13 because they never received a response.

This has pushed me into the world of used guns, which has it's ups and downs. The main downside aside from the fact that the police told me I cannot check to see if a gun is stolen before I buy it - is that people on Armslist seem to think they can charge whatever the hell they fell like, like a tax on the convenience of being able to hand cash over for a gun and walk with it. On a side note, I have sold a couple guns through armslist and I regret selling every one of them, the people I sold them too followed all of my rules (which are a bit more strict than the law requires) and passed my visual check, but honestly, the gun laws in WI are idiotic.

Almost as idiotic as someone on Armslist selling a KAHR c45 for $500

Anyway, I just called the FBI phone number from this post - thanks for that - and the UPin paperwork is on the way to my house. There is a gunshow this weekend which I will go to , and walk away frustrated as usual, because all the good guns are actually just dealers tables and require the same song and dance and 30+ day wait, and the private sales walking around are over priced junk. But, alas, I go anyway because I'm a glutton for disappointment !

I sure do miss living in Greenville S.C. where people sell guns for what they are worth, not what they think they can get from desperate people or people who shouldnt own guns to begin with.

BTW - I do know what the 'something' is in the CA DOJ, it was a pretty serious charge, and I was arrested (10 years ago), but the charges were dropped before I ever saw a court room. Unfortunately, actual arrests do stay with you, valid or not. For now, they just gum up background checks, but in the future, who knows?

I am taking my CCW class tonight - I REALLY hope there isn't a holdup in getting my CCW permit in WI, but something tells me there will be. Meanwhile, someone was shot five times across the street from my apartment last week in the middle of the day, and on the street armed robberies are going through the roof (I guess it happens during the holidays). My complaining is simply to hear myself complain - all of this is stuff I should have dealt with months ago, but put off so its nobodies fault but mine..

Have a great day everyone!!!

New Member Array Jess_Lynn_SigSa's Avatar

Red face

"I am taking my CCW class tonight - I REALLY hope there isn't a holdup in getting my CCW permit in WI, but something tells me there will be. Meanwhile, someone was shot five times across the street from my apartment last week in the middle of the day, and on the street armed robberies are going through the roof (I guess it happens during the holidays). My complaining is simply to hear myself complain - all of this is stuff I should have dealt with months ago, but put off so its nobodies fault but mine.. "

I just went through this.. and always get delayed when trying to buy a gun.. Odd thing
    happened the other day when attempting to purchase a AK-- I was (of course) delayed, then
    I got a call back the next day saying I was "denied".. which doesn't make sense because I've
    never been denied, and have recently got my CCW (i'll explain how its similar to what you will
    go through in a moment) .. Well after receiving that phone call, I called the FBI.. they really
    couldn't tell me much- just to appeal it if I thought it was wrong. So after work the other night, I went to the gun shop were I was wanting to buy the AK from. I asked them for an appeal
    App, and whatever # they had to identify my denied App. Odd thing happens.. after about 5
    or so minutes of them looking for my app, a guy walked up to me & said "The strangest thing
    happened, & i've never seen this take place in my 10 years in this business.." He then proceeds to tell me that the day after they were told to deny me, they got a call saying to "Proceed".
    The gun dealer then told me that he called the FBI NICS system 2 more times to verify that it
    was okay to Proceed.. He said he was shocked because thats never happened before.
    After he told me that I said "Why didn't you guys call me to tell me the good news". He replied
    cause we sold your gun. LOL. (It's okay, they are ordering me a new one now)
    (I have a feeling that when I called the FBI's customer service & explained how I just got my
    CCW & that the only thing on my record was not a 'Conviction' due to it being Adjudication
    Withheld- I'm thinking she had to re-looked at. Who knows.

In reference to your CCW - You most likely will have an issue, but dont worry- You can still
    work it out, as I did. I initially denied my CCW, then I researched the hell out of the topic &
    WON my appeal days later.
    I had to have the court that my case took place at send certified disposition papers from my
    case, & an appeal letter to the Sheriff on why I felt I was denied wrongly.
    Well I did it, and it worked.
    So if you get denied at first, APPEAL it within the (short) time frame they give you.
    Last edited by Jess_Lynn_SigSa; January 7th, 2013 at 02:54 AM. Reason: format all f*cked up

If your taking a CCL class before you send in the application you need to contact the County that you were arrested in and get not only the Arrest record,but also certified copies showing the charges were dismissed,or you will very likely be denied a license.Once you get the documents,make copies and send the originals in with the applications,I make copies just in case somwething gets lost I have duplicates
    I had a record expunged but the arrest showed and even tho I put down the arrest etc on my application they would not proceed until they had the documents in hand
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links