How do I obtain a UPIN to speed up background checks?

This is a discussion on How do I obtain a UPIN to speed up background checks? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a CCP holder for a couple years now. I did have to aquire an expungement on my past record in order to purchase ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I obtain a UPIN to speed up background checks?

I am a CCP holder for a couple years now. I did have to aquire an expungement on my past record in order to purchase firearms. Everytime I buy a firearm I have to wait the full amount, eventhough I have a CCP and the expungement.

I was told by a FFL dealer that when they do my background checks that it is probably getting hungup on that until they do enough research to clear it.

I googled UPIN & FBI but the phone # is not in use. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by krag View Post
    I am a CCP holder for a couple years now. I did have to aquire an expungement on my past record in order to purchase firearms. Everytime I buy a firearm I have to wait the full amount, eventhough I have a CCP and the expungement.

I was told by a FFL dealer that when they do my background checks that it is probably getting hungup on that until they do enough research to clear it.

I googled UPIN & FBI but the phone # is not in use. Any ideas?
    Phone book and call any FBI office. Let them find the contact number.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Federal Bureau of Investigation - Criminal Justice Information Services Division - Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs)

FBI NICS Section Customer Service at telephone number 1-877-444-6427.
    is that the one?

edit: take a look at this, seems to be the appication:

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/vafbrocheng.pdf
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Yeah, thats the number that is not in service.

But the application looks good. Thanks!

Call 1-877-324-6427.

Listen to the prompts, you want non FFL customer service. They can direct you how to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Simms65 View Post
    Call 1-877-324-6427.

Listen to the prompts, you want non FFL customer service. They can direct you how to apply.
    I called the phone number the other day and talked to a real person..LOL! They are sending me some paperwork to fill out and then return.

Thank you for th ehelp my friend.

If you have A CCW in N.C. they do not do a background check in The great State of N.C. Thats Nice
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

I might give that a try also.....
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Obtaining a UPIN is a cure for delays for a minor infraction history. I had this problem myself, that I always was on delay, but always got proceed after the three days in Indiana. Called NICS and while they couldn't confirm the infraction it became apparent that I would always be on delay, but never denied, unless of course of a new and barring infraction. Was told of the UPIN and applied and recieved my UPIN. Now it's cash and carry. My infraction, as it was simple for me to figure as there weren't any others, was buying beer at the age of 19 and being arrested for it. That would come up as "possession" and would delay me until the record was opened up and could be seen that it wasn't a deniable charge/conviction. Good luck it works!

LOG

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Never knew that, good to know, myself and my better half walked in to Academy Sports last night to buy her a 38 and 73 minutes later walked out with the 38 and a Mossberg 500 Persuader (ok, I got weak willed and couldn't resist it, it was calling my name from down at the other end of the counter dang it).

I'm proud of myself, after handling it and checking it over completely, I lasted exactly 1 minute and probably 30 seconds and thats 30 seconds long then I thought I would last.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Never knew that, good to know, myself and my better half walked in to Academy Sports last night to buy her a 38 and 73 minutes later walked out with the 38 and a Mossberg 500 Persuader (ok, I got weak willed and couldn't resist it, it was calling my name from down at the other end of the counter dang it).

I'm proud of myself, after handling it and checking it over completely, I lasted exactly 1 minute and probably 30 seconds and thats 30 seconds long then I thought I would last.
    Sorry, my whole point of this was that 70 minutes is dang good timing on a busy Friday night at the gun counter.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Heh, I was flat out amazed that several months ago I walked up to an Academy Sports counter at 9:30pm on a Tuesday I think, having "never been in the system" or yet to have applied for my firearms license and was outside the door at 9:53pm with my Glock 27, an extra mag and some ammo. 23 minutes from greeting to purchase. Me filling out the paperwork took the most time. The guy at the counter said having a fairly unique name helps. I did not provide my SSN.

What was odd was them walking it outside and only handing it over to me once I was outside the store. Yeah, that's a safety measure that makes sense.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Still waiting.... :( Or should I say, delayed again.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    What was odd was them walking it outside and only handing it over to me once I was outside the store. Yeah, that's a safety measure that makes sense.
    Seems like all the "Big Box" gun shops do that. I'm sure there's some reason that makes sense to the lawyers, but I can't see it either.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

UPIN #

You just call the FBI # 1-877-324-6427 and let it go till someone picks up and ask for customer service for UPIN info.

They will take your info and mail you a package to fill out and a finger print card to take to your local sherriffs office to
    be printed and make sure that office put their stamp on it or its no good.

You send the paperwork and finger prints after making sure you signed the back of your paperwork so they can process it and it can take 30 to 150 days depending on the individual.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links