I Shoot Too Well ~ I'm Too Accurate.

This is a discussion on I Shoot Too Well ~ I'm Too Accurate. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This was an unusual question posed on another oddball forum. I read the answers over there & (of course) I have my own opinion but, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Shoot Too Well ~ I'm Too Accurate.

Administrator

I Shoot Too Well ~ I'm Too Accurate.

This was an unusual question posed on another oddball forum. I read the answers over there & (of course) I have my own opinion but, I'll post the question exactly as it was posted there and see what answers I get over here.
    All members welcome to chime right in on it.

"I've always been taught and trained to shoot nice tight groups.
    I'm a decent shot and has never been a problem.
    The last few months Ive talked to several LEOs who've told me to open up my shot placement.
    Specifically they've said to place each shot 5-6" apart so as to increase trauma.
    I'm still inclined to shoot tight center mass (as in 2 to the chest 1 the head, as needed) but what are your guys thoughts?"

2. Remove Ads

well the more spread ya get the more bad guy will feel it is what the leo's round here say put 2 bullets same in chest and body will react as if shot once but put one 3 inches and and it will go hey what the hell was that

Bud's got a point there.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member
    I disagree with the point.

For one, it's not like the BG is going to hold still so you could put one shot through the previous hole. For two, the aim is for maximum effect; if you start aiming 5 or 6 inches away from the first shot, you are more likely to miss.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

CK has a point there.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    well the more spread ya get the more bad guy will feel it is what the leo's round here say put 2 bullets same in chest and body will react as if shot once but put one 3 inches and and it will go hey what the hell was that
    Kinda says it all, as usual, Bud!

I've heard that suggestion before, or similar ones. The idea is that overlapping wound channels are not maximizing damage to the target, and spreading out the shots will allow each bullet to do maximum damage. I don't know about you, but my 9mm JHP bullets open up to somewhere between 0.55" and 0.65" under optimum conditions. Bruce's .45acp is going to open up to somewhere around 0.72" or maybe a little more. Shots that are 5" apart, do no more damage than shots 1.5" apart.

Combat pistols are not target pistols, and are generally not as accurate as competition pistols. Still, my P226ST is more accurate than I am, and my 357SIG ammo is also very accurate and consistent. I try to spread my shots so that they do maximum damage, but the critical points on a human target are small areas. I don't have to worry about putting all my shots through the same hole. If I keep mine within about a 4" diameter, I'm happy. That would do a BG a fair amount of damage.

I'd rather be too accurate and achieve reliable shot placement, than not accurate enough and fail to hit the critical areas when I needed to. Ideally, I'd like to see my shots spread around 1"-2" apart.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

1951 - 2011
    Hello. I will cast my lot with accurate hits.

Best.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight
    if you start aiming 5 or 6 inches away from the first shot, you are more likely to miss.
    I agree with this... under all that pressure while shootin' back and defending your own, groups are gonna be different than on paper...thats for sure.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

If you can place your first shot exactly where you want it - follow up shots are less important. If your strategy is to just put holes in the bad guy - then may luck be with you.

I'll take 5 shots through the same hole in the CNS over 10 holes randomly applied to COM.

Sounds like the LEOs he talked to are making excuses for their inaccuracy.

i agree that the bad guy's not gonna stand still and if you're defending yourself against a person instead of a target your grouping's gonna be a little different.

Assistant Administrator
    Chances of two (or more) shots same hole are near infinitesimally small.

Most important is to be able (under stress) to actually hit COM reliably every shot. Where they land is up to the Gods but chances are out of two or three, one will do severe damage.

The tight group killing paper will by default open up to large under stress - so practice with small groups is fine by me - I know darned well they'd not be that tight ''in extremis''!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Accurate hits for me too.....
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Hit what you're aiming at, every time. If you're cool enough under fire to aim at different spots on the bad guy's center of mass with each shot, more power to you. As long as you make sure the rounds you send downrange connect with what you aimed them at, it's all good.
    Last edited by Roadrunner; April 30th, 2006 at 04:57 PM.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I am going to aim COM and put two shots in the BG. They are not going to go through the same hole but they will hit the vitals. IF he still has fight in him, then a third shot to the head. Not to be disrespectful, but IMHO, only the world's best pistol marksmen that have been under fire before would be able to pull that off. If that is you, then my hat is off to you. You must have a Navy SEAL ensigna tattooed on your arm!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links